What happens if sponsor dies?!

Old Aug 17th 2017, 8:53 pm
Just Joined

Godsie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What happens if sponsor dies?!

Hello!

My husband will be sponsoring me when we move to Canada. We are both in our late 40's but our concern is if something happens to my husband, either through an accident or medical reasons and we are in the period of sponsorship, what would happen to me? Would I have to return to the UK even though financially I would be able to remain in Canada?

Our planned move is in 3 years time and our children will be 18 & 16 (they have their citizenship). Would our son be able to take over the sponsorship, although he is likely to be at university and I would be supporting him.

Would be grateful to receive your thoughts or similar experiences (hopefully not!)

Many thanks
Old Aug 17th 2017, 10:02 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What happens if sponsor dies?!

Is your husband a Canadian Citizen? If he is, he could make an application to sponsor you while you are all living in the UK,. Your husband would only need to show that he has intent to return to Canada once PR is granted, he wouldn't need to be living in Canada in order to sponsor you (providing he is a Citizen)..

That way should anything unforeseen happen prior to your receiving PR you would still be in the UK, so there would be no need to worry unduly about being in a foreign country.

With regards to the sponsorship, your son could sponsor you once he has worked in Canada for several years (I believe 3) but he wouldn't be aable to 'take over' the sponsorship. However, it's now a 'lottery' to be able to apply to sponsor a parent, so your best option is the one suggested.

Hope that puts your mind at ease a little!

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 17th 2017 at 10:05 pm.
Old Aug 17th 2017, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Godsie
Hello!

My husband will be sponsoring me when we move to Canada. We are both in our late 40's but our concern is if something happens to my husband, either through an accident or medical reasons and we are in the period of sponsorship, what would happen to me? Would I have to return to the UK even though financially I would be able to remain in Canada?

Our planned move is in 3 years time and our children will be 18 & 16 (they have their citizenship). Would our son be able to take over the sponsorship, although he is likely to be at university and I would be supporting him.

Would be grateful to receive your thoughts or similar experiences (hopefully not!)

Many thanks

Rather depends what you mean by 'the sponsorship period'.

If you mean while your application is ongoing, before you become a PR - then yes, if the Canadian sponsor dies, the sponsorship would cease, and your application would be null.

If you mean after you land as a PR, but while the sponsor is legally liable for you financially (the first 3 years), then no, you would remain a PR. Even under the old 'Condition 51' regimen, which has been repealed (which gave conditional PR for spousal PRs for the first 2 years, so you'd lose PR if the relationship failed in that time), there was an exemption for the death of the sponsor, as kicking people out of the country for that reason would be unfair.
Old Aug 18th 2017, 7:22 am
Just Joined

My husband is Canadian although he has not lived there since 6mths old!

We are going to apply for my visa whilst in the UK. The concerns were once we had landed in Canada. We are both fit and healthy but you never know what is round the corner. It would be awful to be in the situation of being forced to return to the UK if the worse should happen.

Many thanks for your help.
Old Aug 18th 2017, 7:34 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

My husband is Canadian although he has not lived there since 6mths old!

We are going to apply for my visa whilst in the UK. The concerns were once we had landed in Canada. We are both fit and healthy but you never know what is round the corner. It would be awful to be in the situation of being forced to return to the UK if the worse should happen.

Many thanks for your help.
Once you 'landed' as a Permanent Resident then you would retain that regardless of any unforseen circumstances resulting in you being alone.

When you are ready to apply, do have a good read of our Wiki articles which are really helpul in filling out the forms and what is required.

Best of luck and do feel free to 'hang around'!

Old Aug 18th 2017, 7:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

You can kill your husband only when you have achieved PR I'm afraid. Good luck!
Old Aug 18th 2017, 9:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Shakyuk
You can kill your husband only when you have achieved PR I'm afraid. Good luck!
I will bear that in mind!!
Old Aug 18th 2017, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Once you 'landed' as a Permanent Resident then you would retain that regardless of any unforseen circumstances resulting in you being alone.

When you are ready to apply, do have a good read of our Wiki articles which are really helpul in filling out the forms and what is required.

Best of luck and do feel free to 'hang around'!

Thank you for your help. I was browsing through the Wiki articles before posting & they provide lots of info regarding evidence for Intent to Live in Canada.

Thanks again!
Old Aug 18th 2017, 9:28 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

I will bear that in mind!!
Looks like it will be in the lap of the Godsie...

Old Aug 19th 2017, 2:10 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks
As in sponsoring spouses who dropped off the perch?

I guess now, you can write up that you covered all bases.