What to do if refused TWP at POE

Old Apr 5th 2008, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

allicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant future
Default Re: What to do if refused TWP at POE

Originally Posted by lof
there is a wiki called WP:Where to apply which outlines the different routes with their advantages and risks.

the main cic website states the general rules. if you have a look at the foreign worker manual under 5.23 on page 27, it states: (i can't formatting it side by side - you find the second column under the first)

one thing i want to point out: if you need a medical for your wp - ie. your work is in health care or education - you should apply to your visa post.
Thanks for that I have been going round in circles for days with all this legal jargon it feels like my head is going to explode.
Old Apr 6th 2008, 6:48 pm
Just Joined

jonnychester is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by allicat001
Thanks for that I have been going round in circles for days with all this legal jargon it feels like my head is going to explode.
hi everbody i could do with a final answer,i have job offer and lmo do i need police checks for poe for work permit and what else would be needed cheers,my hopefully new employer has only recruited from the usa before and is not sure about the poe from the uk,i have tried to email the embassy in london twice but had no reply so none the wiser has anyone any answers cheers jonny
Old Apr 6th 2008, 8:25 pm
lof
Canadian Wet Coaster

lof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonnychester
hi everbody i could do with a final answer,i have job offer and lmo do i need police checks for poe for work permit and what else would be needed cheers,my hopefully new employer has only recruited from the usa before and is not sure about the poe from the uk,i have tried to email the embassy in london twice but had no reply so none the wiser has anyone any answers cheers jonny
please read the wikis:
Work Permits

WP: Where to apply

in short: whether you apply to the visa post or at poe you need the same documentation (see the cic checklist for work permit applications and read the official guide). *

as for police checks: several be members had to show / submit them even if they don't seem to be on the official check list. i personally would rather be safe than sorry and therefore bring it with me.

same for proof of funds - just because many (most?) people on here haven't been asked for it doesn't necessarily mean you don't need it.
just fyi, i had to show proof of funds for my last wp, even having worked in that particular position the new wp was for for the previous 16 months. (although i'm not british, i have a visa waiver passport, and i know of people with a uk passport who had a similar experience.)

* page 5 of the cic guide 5487e states:
What requirements must I meet to obtain a work permit?

You must show the officer that you meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and Regulations. You must also:

• satisfy an officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your employment;
• show that you have enough money to maintain yourself and your family members in Canada;
• be law abiding and have no record of criminal activity (you may be asked to provide a police clearance certificate);
• not be a risk to the security of Canada;
• be in good health (complete a medical examination, if required);
• produce any additional documents requested by the officer to establish your admissibility.

What documents do I need to apply for a work permit?

Complete the application form and provide the following documents listed below:

Proof of identity
• a valid passport or travel document that guarantees re-entry to the country that issued it;
• two photos of you and your accompanying family members (see Appendix B Photo Specifications for instructions).

Proof of employment in Canada
• Your job offer letter or contract from your prospective employer, and the file number provided by Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC) to locate the labour market opinion (confirmation). Your employer should be able to provide you with this file identifier,
• Evidence that you meet the requirements of the job, possibly including specific educational requirements or past work experience possibly outlined in a resume,
• Evidence of the Certificat d’acceptation du Québec (CAQ) issued by the Ministère de l’Immigration et des communautés culturelles (MICC), if you work in Québec or will be working in Québec. If you do not need a labour market opinion (confirmation) you will usually not need a CAQ.

In addition, note that:
• if you are not a citizen of the country in which you are applying, you must provide proof of your present immigration status in the country of application;
• if the government that issued your passport or travel document requires a re-entry permit this must be obtained before you apply for a Canadian visa; and
• additional documents may be required

Last edited by lof; Apr 6th 2008 at 9:08 pm.