Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

What actually happens at the point of entry?

What actually happens at the point of entry?

Old May 23rd 2017, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

Richb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond repute
Default What actually happens at the point of entry?

Back from a week in Okanagan with a nice job offer

So starting the process of getting LMIA and then will apply via BC PNP process to get into Canada and for residency. Provisional start date mid November

I have a 19yo step-daughter who will qualify to get in after 24th October but only for new applications

My current plan is to add her onto my PNP application and wait till after 24th October to trigger the application for PR using the PNP certificate.

I was planning to get a temp work permit at the point of entry when we come across probably early November. I saw after getting past the border officals in Vancouver there is an area for issuing work permits so I was planning on just heading there with my bundles of paperwork to get it sorted??

Also I wanted to get a work permit for my wife and again I understand if we ask for one and I have come on a PNP we can get it issued at port of entry?

Are dependant children able to get TWP too or will I just have to use them as house elves to keep the home clean and tidy

On the CIC bit about PNP and dependants it states they will be allowed in if they satisfy certain criteria one of which is 'satisfy an immigration officer they will only stay in Canada temporarily'. This is under the work permit bit of CIC does this apply to PNP entry too?

Cheers. Rich
Old May 23rd 2017, 11:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What actually happens at the point of entry?

Originally Posted by Richb1970
Back from a week in Okanagan with a nice job offer

So starting the process of getting LMIA and then will apply via BC PNP process to get into Canada and for residency. Provisional start date mid November

I have a 19yo step-daughter who will qualify to get in after 24th October but only for new applications

My current plan is to add her onto my PNP application and wait till after 24th October to trigger the application for PR using the PNP certificate.

I was planning to get a temp work permit at the point of entry when we come across probably early November. I saw after getting past the border officals in Vancouver there is an area for issuing work permits so I was planning on just heading there with my bundles of paperwork to get it sorted??

Also I wanted to get a work permit for my wife and again I understand if we ask for one and I have come on a PNP we can get it issued at port of entry?

Are dependant children able to get TWP too or will I just have to use them as house elves to keep the home clean and tidy

On the CIC bit about PNP and dependants it states they will be allowed in if they satisfy certain criteria one of which is 'satisfy an immigration officer they will only stay in Canada temporarily'. This is under the work permit bit of CIC does this apply to PNP entry too?

Cheers. Rich
Dependent children aren't eligible for a TWP unless they have their own LMIA.

As for the staying temporarily that is usually determined on entry i.e. how long is a person staying for.
Those getting work permits then the time expected to leave would be on the work permit expiring and the officer believes they would leave and that includes accompanying family members.
Old May 23rd 2017, 11:06 pm
Forum Regular

Richb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snowy560
You won't be able to get WPs for the kids. Will they be going to School? Did the 19 year old apply for IEC? What is she going to do? Further study? If so, a Study Permit is required. She won't be eligible to apply for one from inside Canada just because you have a WP as she isn't dependent (age). The application will have to be made to a visa office abroad. You need to think about these things and have a clear plan in your mind.
She applied for IEC but didnt get one

She will be classed as dependant when we head out due to the change on 24th October. We will apply for residency prior to heading out and for the IEC for 2018 so worst case is we get in with 2 kids above school age who cant work/study until we get residency sorted or their IEC comes through
Old May 23rd 2017, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Dependent children aren't eligible for a TWP unless they have their own LMIA.

As for the staying temporarily that is usually determined on entry i.e. how long is a person staying for.
Those getting work permits then the time expected to leave would be on the work permit expiring and the officer believes they would leave and that includes accompanying family members.
Would it be an idea to get a return flight in that case rather than one way?

How long are work permits issued for usually? My job is permanent and we are applying via PNP in BC for residency?

Thanks
Old May 23rd 2017, 11:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I misread the bit as to when you were coming.
Old May 24th 2017, 1:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Would it be an idea to get a return flight in that case rather than one way?

How long are work permits issued for usually? My job is permanent and we are applying via PNP in BC for residency?

Thanks
Some LMIA jobs are 12 months duration and some are 24 months. You will probably find a return ticket would help and might even be cheaper although its not mandatory to have one.
Old May 24th 2017, 6:09 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I'm confused - if you're applying under PNP, why do you need a LMIA? PNP work permits are LMIA exempt?
Old May 24th 2017, 6:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I'm confused - if you're applying under PNP, why do you need a LMIA? PNP work permits are LMIA exempt?
Hi

Sorry, Maybe my wording is wrong. I am in the process of getting a formal job offer and will end up with what they call a certificate of need which I assumed was a LMIA letter?? I have been told I then submit this with the PNP application but I wondered if I can use this to get a TWP??

The issue I have is I would like to get across early November but the rules don't change for dependants until 24th October and I can't put a residency application in until after that date. I'm going to try a PNP earlier as I assume this is a different admin system from immigration
Old May 24th 2017, 7:14 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Sorry, Maybe my wording is wrong. I am in the process of getting a formal job offer and will end up with what they call a certificate of need which I assumed was a LMIA letter?? I have been told I then submit this with the PNP application but I wondered if I can use this to get a TWP??

The issue I have is I would like to get across early November but the rules don't change for dependants until 24th October and I can't put a residency application in until after that date. I'm going to try a PNP earlier as I assume this is a different admin system from immigration
I believe (though I stand to be corrected if wrong) that when you apply for PNP your daughter would need to qualify as a dependent. These are the regulations that were in force before the new announcement for the change in October and I would presume that the new regulations would be similar.

Hopefully someone can confirm or correct me!

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...#_Toc394080163
3.1.1 Applicants selected by a province or territory under the Provincial Nominee Program

Provincial nominees must first apply to the province or territory for nomination. If they are approved, they can apply to IRCC for permanent residence, but must do so before the expiry of the nomination.

Under transitional provisions, children of applicants whose complete application was received by the province or territory for nomination before August 1, 2014 are to be assessed by IRCC using the pre-amendment definition of dependent child, even if their complete APR is received by IRCC on or after August 1, 2014. Pre-amendment lock-in procedures are to be applied—i.e., the age of the child is locked in on the date IRCC receives the APR from the principal applicant.
Other APRs not covered by transitional provisions: The new definition of dependent child should be applied.
New lock-in date: The lock-in date for the age of a child of an applicant under the PNP is the date on which the applicable province or territory authority receives a complete application for provincial nomination from the principal applicant [R25.1 (4)].

Last edited by Siouxie; May 24th 2017 at 7:17 am.
Old May 24th 2017, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I believe (though I stand to be corrected if wrong) that when you apply for PNP your daughter would need to qualify as a dependent. These are the regulations that were in force before the new announcement for the change in October and I would presume that the new regulations would be similar.

Hopefully someone can confirm or correct me!

Operational Bulletin 588 (modified) – December 13, 2016
3.1.1 Applicants selected by a province or territory under the Provincial Nominee Program

Provincial nominees must first apply to the province or territory for nomination. If they are approved, they can apply to IRCC for permanent residence, but must do so before the expiry of the nomination.

Under transitional provisions, children of applicants whose complete application was received by the province or territory for nomination before August 1, 2014 are to be assessed by IRCC using the pre-amendment definition of dependent child, even if their complete APR is received by IRCC on or after August 1, 2014. Pre-amendment lock-in procedures are to be applied—i.e., the age of the child is locked in on the date IRCC receives the APR from the principal applicant.
Other APRs not covered by transitional provisions: The new definition of dependent child should be applied.
New lock-in date: The lock-in date for the age of a child of an applicant under the PNP is the date on which the applicable province or territory authority receives a complete application for provincial nomination from the principal applicant [R25.1 (4)].
Hmmmmm. Thanks for that

It looks like that is from the last time they changed the age in 2014?? I have looked and cant find an updated one for the more recent switch in age.

I am hoping they dont lock in the age at submission - I can see why it was done in 2014 as that would benefit applicants who would otherwise miss out. For us it just delays the process if her age is locked when they get the forms. I would hope they will consider age of entry this time

I have e-mailed the PNP folk in BC for some advice on what to do and will update here with what they tell me!
Old May 24th 2017, 9:35 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Ah, I see. If you're applying under PNP, then it's not a LMIA, you are applying for a PNP nomination. Once you've got that nomination, you can then apply for your TWP, and you can also use the nomination to apply for PR (within 6 months).

It's a two stage process, the first is provincial (the nomination), and the second is Federal (the PR application), but it's all wrapped up in to one essentially and no LMIA is required.

HTH.
Old May 24th 2017, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Ah, I see. If you're applying under PNP, then it's not a LMIA, you are applying for a PNP nomination. Once you've got that nomination, you can then apply for your TWP, and you can also use the nomination to apply for PR (within 6 months).

It's a two stage process, the first is provincial (the nomination), and the second is Federal (the PR application), but it's all wrapped up in to one essentially and no LMIA is required.

HTH.
Thanks for that the info I was sent has some references to LMIA so its all a bit confusing.

I think I need to see if the PNP will process my application now on the proviso we arent heading out until after the age changes.

I know the residency application needs to go in after 24th October as CIC have specifically stated they will only accept the older age for new applications for residency after that date

I have a horrible feeling the PNP will be the same and we will be stuck!
Old May 24th 2017, 2:48 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

I know the residency application needs to go in after 24th October as CIC have specifically stated they will only accept the older age for new applications for residency after that date
I doubt the province will be any different to CIC as far as PNP is concerned.
Old May 24th 2017, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Aviator
I doubt the province will be any different to CIC as far as PNP is concerned.
Thanks - thats what I am expecting so may be a delay on when we can get out
Old May 24th 2017, 4:51 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks - thats what I am expecting so may be a delay on when we can get out
Would the company consider applying for an LMIA so you could get across sooner to work on a TWP, then put in your application for PNP / PR after October 24th?

While you are waiting (which ever route you take), this would be a good opportunity to make sure you have the documentation required for your PR application.

Last edited by Siouxie; May 24th 2017 at 5:21 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.