Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

We're here! My positive immigration experience yesterday:

We're here! My positive immigration experience yesterday:

Old Jan 6th 2017, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We're here! My positive immigration experience yesterday:

Originally Posted by suzeandmatt
Yeah- definitely with you on that one!

I'm looking forward to a good explore- which I might have to put slightly on hold for a few days as my body has decided it wants to just accept a full blown flu- of all the times to choose!! - which may not be a bad thing looking at the forecast! Haha

And thank you!! Hopefully we like it!!
Don't underestimate the effects of jetlag; aftermath of the adrenalin "rush" of moving abating now that you made it; (excessive, imo) heating inside which tends to make inside air very dry, & "foreign" to your body microbes/germs/viruses (particularly from the plane trip).

Take it easy . You've arrived safely - anything that is not essential/time sensitive can wait!
Old Jan 6th 2017, 6:12 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Take it easy . You've arrived safely - anything that is not essential/time sensitive can wait!
Couldn't agree more Be kind to yourself, unlike more exotic trips it's going to be a while till you get in a bikini and go to the beach!

Congratulations on your smooth arrival. I do hope that you will both be very happy.

Best of luck
Old Jan 7th 2017, 4:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to Canada, glad to read you had a positive experience in entering Calgary. I hope that you will both be happy and enjoy this beautiful country
Old Jan 9th 2017, 12:20 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I think I'm finding the language thing much easier than my husband. We're from Newcastle so have that annoying Geordie accent and talk really quickly! Haha husband is already finding that difficult. I've told him he'll just have to slow down a tad and speak a bit more clearly! He'll get there in the end- when he's sick of repeating himself!
Vancouverites can cope with a bit of Geordie so it should not be beyond Calgarians. The accent is less of a worry than using the right words.

In Canada you get run over if you walk on the pavement.

Home improvement stores can be sources of incomprehension. You use a tap to add a thread to a hole but you use a faucet to fill the sink with water. And so on. Don't even bother to ask anyone for a spanner.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

We're from Newcastle so have that annoying Geordie accent and talk really quickly! Haha husband is already finding that difficult. I've told him he'll just have to slow down a tad and speak a bit more clearly! He'll get there in the end- when he's sick of repeating himself!

Hahahaha

It ain't just Geordie accents I can tell you! My wife speaks virtually 'Queens English / Home Counties English' and was having to repeat herself constantly when we did our recce trip to Ontario last year.

My own accent is more like a semi-English 'Christopher Plummer' Canadian - I am often asked in the UK if I am from 'the west country'!

I think it is just that some people listen to the overall 'sound' of the sentence rather than the words and instantly go into 'OMG - foreign accent alert' mode!
Old Jan 10th 2017, 3:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

paw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Don't underestimate the effects of jetlag; aftermath of the adrenalin "rush" of moving abating now that you made it; (excessive, imo) heating inside which tends to make inside air very dry, & "foreign" to your body microbes/germs/viruses (particularly from the plane trip).

Welcome to Calgary.

Make sure that humidifier is working, you'll regret it if you don't :-)
Old Jan 14th 2017, 7:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

suzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond repute

Hi again!!
It's been just over a week now so thought I'd add to our experience and what we've found.

Firstly- why did no one tell me you need a humidifier in literally every single room in your house if you don't want to get an electric shock off everything you touch?! Hahaha we have now rectified this situation. But yes- humidifiers are the most essential home product- coming from the coast my whole life it feels insane to buy one/5 though!! Hahaha

Also- getting a SIN number was super easy! We just went to the Service Canada building in downtown Calgary and took our passport and work permit (stapled into the passport anyway) and it was issued straight away.

Getting a mobile phone was also easy- just used our passports and that was enough.

Broadband internet also easy- did it online. (Though mobile phones and broadband internet are stupidly expensive!!)

Getting around Calgary has been dead easy. The trains are fab and the buses are great! Bus drives are amazingly helpful!

We found the Inter-faith furniture place to be awesome for second hand furniture! We got LOADS of really decent stuff (as in solid wood furniture and a super comfortable sofa) for less than $180 and paid a guy $60 for him to pick it all up and deliver it to us. He brought it all in our house too. We've kept his number!!

We picked up forms today to fill out for our health cards. Again those guys were mega helpful. We just fill the form out and take it back with passport and proof of address and sorted!

Clothing hasn't been an issue and we arrived in the middle of it being SUPER cold. I have worn my Ugg boots the whole time and cannot fault them at all! Feet have been warm and dry the whole entire time. A down coat I bought from Fat Face in the Uk has been awesome as well. And I've just been wearing jeans/a jumper underneath my coat, a scarf and a hat. When there's a bit of a breeze it feels WAY colder but as long as you have something to pull up over your face I found I was okay!! Haha

All in all, a positive experience. Husband started work last Monday. He is finding everyone really friendly too.

Just wanted to share in case it proves helpful for others doing the same thing!! :-)

Last edited by suzeandmatt; Jan 14th 2017 at 7:24 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2017, 12:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers for the share Suzeandmatt, good read. I didn't know about the humidifiers, this thread is the first time I've noticed it mentioned!
We're hoping to do the move later this year so good to read things can go smoothly!
Old Jan 15th 2017, 12:13 am
BE Enthusiast

paw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shakyuk
Cheers for the share Suzeandmatt, good read. I didn't know about the humidifiers, this thread is the first time I've noticed it mentioned!
We're hoping to do the move later this year so good to read things can go smoothly!
Most houses in Calgary have a whole house humidifier linked to the main furnace that runs automatically when required in the winter. Ours just requires a new $25 water panel about every 18 months. Makes for a much more comfortable winter (and no static).
Old Jan 15th 2017, 1:40 am
BE Enthusiast

suzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shakyuk
Yeah- our house is fairly old (for Calgary's standards) and doesn't come with humidifiers fitted. So definitely worth checking. No one told us about the lack of humidity either though. And I hadn't come across it anywhere. It just hadn't dawned on me that with the dry climate it would be an issue. Lesson learnt for sure. I bought a humidifier that now lives in the bedroom- it lasts 12 hours so we literally just top it up before bed and again the next morning. It runs 24/7. Helps with sleeping- stops having a dry throat etc.
Then we got a larger one for the living space downstairs- it's all open plan so that one again just runs 24/7 and covers the downstairs space. When we furnish the spare bedroom for visitors I'll buy a small one for in there as well. :-) obviously if the place you move into has them already fitted then bonus!!

But yep- I'm happy to say so far our move has gone smoothly. I kept getting worried about things not being enough "proof" etc etc but, ultimately I really didn't need to worry.
Good luck with your move! I'm sure it'll be fine! :-)
Old Jan 15th 2017, 1:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by paw339
Most houses in Calgary have a whole house humidifier linked to the main furnace that runs automatically when required in the winter. Ours just requires a new $25 water panel about every 18 months. Makes for a much more comfortable winter (and no static).
That's the dream!! Haha Maybe it's the age of the house/heating system I guess. Fortunately the heating itself is more than adequate so that's okay.
Old Jan 15th 2017, 4:11 am
Forum Regular

GermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond repute

Really good post so please keep updating it. Very helpful for anyone arriving in the next few months.

As Shaky said, first I have heard of the humidifier issue also.

Great to hear that things have gone so well with your arrival.
Old Jan 15th 2017, 5:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GermanytoCanada
Really good post so please keep updating it. Very helpful for anyone arriving in the next few months.

As Shaky said, first I have heard of the humidifier issue also.

Great to hear that things have gone so well with your arrival.
Its probably worth pointing out that a whole house humidifier can be fitted to the furnace for approximately $500 plus or minus depending on the type, which might work out cheaper and certainly a lot less hassle than several individual ones.
Old Jan 15th 2017, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent update I'm glad to hear how well things are going!

Keep us posted.
Old Jan 15th 2017, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond repute

An excellent update and so glad everything has gone smoothly for you. Best of luck and enjoy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.