Welding working holiday?

Old Nov 1st 2017, 7:08 am
Just Joined

jim79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Welding working holiday?

Hi,
We're hoping to go and work for three months and then travel for three. I've been working as a welder for two years with city and guilds level 2 and 3 in mig/tig and my wife works in the local council as an administrator . I've had a look online for the right visa but there's a lot to choose from! Can anyone help?

Thanks,

James
Old Nov 1st 2017, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Welding working holiday?

How old are you?
Old Nov 1st 2017, 9:05 am
Just Joined

Old Nov 1st 2017, 9:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

The chances of getting a work permit for 3 months I would say is slim to none.
Old Nov 1st 2017, 9:46 am
Just Joined

Thanks for that.
Do you know if there'd be any chance of getting anything similar?
Old Nov 1st 2017, 10:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jim79
Thanks for that.
No employer is going to pay $1000 to try and get a work permit for just 3 months. You would also need your welding skills assessed before being able to work and that would even apply to a worker on a 1 or 2 year work permit.

Seriously I would put the notion of a 6 month trip to Canada and being able to work for 3 of them back in the closet. You can certainly visit for 6 months but could not work for a Canadian employer.

If you were looking to move here for longer and emigrate then that would be different but a 6 month stint forget it.

Thats just my opinion.
Old Nov 1st 2017, 1:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jim79
Thanks for that.
Nope, unfortunately you're too old for a Working Holiday Visa, so any work permit would (as FL has said) involve the employer going through a lot of paperwork/hassle/cost, realistically that's not going to happen if you only want to work for a few months. Added to which, given it'll probably cost you a good few thousand and take 4-6 months as a minimum, not sure why you'd bother for such a short period of time?

In all honesty, if you want to just go and work abroad for a few months, I'd look at the EU and make the most of it whilst you still can. No visa hassle and much cheaper to move to as well!

Good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Nov 1st 2017 at 1:45 pm.