Visitor's Visa

Old Feb 11th 2001, 1:09 am
gbakay35

I read in an earlier post about the girl in the Philippines getting refused a visitor's
visa due to the fact that she only talked to her man over the net, email and phone.
Would the Canadian Embassy really refuse a visitor's visa to a person on that reason????
I met a woman trhough a dating agency from the Ukraine and she would like to come and
see me in July for 2 weeks. Will she have the same problems? We're planning on getting
married here in Canada during her stay and then she will return back to the Ukraine to
her son and mother. Then I'll start processing the necessary paperwork for her and her
son to come to Canada as permanent residency. Any help from Andrew or anyone who had
experienced a similar situation? I also hear that it's harder for younger women to leave
the Ukraine, she's 31.

Old Feb 11th 2001, 2:11 am
Andrew Miller

It is not that she got refused visa because of the weak nature of the relationship with
the inviting person. As a matter of fact if the relationship would be stronger and she
would admit that the inviting man in Canada is more than just a friend then it could be a
main reason for refusal.

Canadian immigration law (similar to American one) assumes that every person seeking
temporary entry to Canada is an immigrant and unless such person can prove otherwise
visitor visa must be refused by law. Immigration officer when assessing visitor visa
application is looking into several factors which may prove that applicant's intention is
to visit Canada temporary only. Such factors are - stability of applicant's employment or
business in home country, income, property, family and other substantial ties to home
country, etc. If those factors don't exist or are not very strong then visa will most
likely be refused. The relationship to the inviting person in Canada cannot help, quite
opposite - if evidence indicates that relationship is more than just a friendship then it
will be a strong factor for visitor visa refusal.

Several countries (especially developing ones) are known as a source of desperate young
women who are willing to go to any length to get out of their country, especially to
Canada or USA. Ukraine and other former Soviet bloc countries are among those where young
women have very slim chances for Canadian or American visitor visas. We have (among many
partners in several other countries) an associate office in Kyiv, Ukraine and have several
years of experience dealing with immigration applications from Eastern Europe - we know
the pain, suffering and all problems of applicants there very well...

But your friend may get lucky and obtain visitor visa and in such case you may go ahead
with your plan, although I would strongly suggest some serious adjustments to it.

Otherwise you will have to start sponsoring her for fiancée visa (about 12 to 18+ months
process with less that 20% success rate) or go there and marry her in Ukraine and then
start spousal application (currently at least 9 - 12 months process).

You may contact me directly for further assistance if you need one.

--

../..

Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia email:
[email protected] (delete REMOVE and INVALID from the above address before
sending an email)

> I read in an earlier post about the girl in the Philippines getting refused a visitor's
> visa due to the fact that she only talked to her man over the net, email and phone.
> Would the Canadian Embassy really refuse a visitor's visa to a person on that reason????
> I met a woman trhough a dating agency from the Ukraine and she would like to come and
> see me in July for 2 weeks. Will she have the same problems? We're planning on getting
> married here in Canada during her stay and then she will return back to the Ukraine to
> her son and mother. Then I'll start processing the necessary paperwork for her and her
> son to come to Canada as permanent residency. Any help from Andrew or anyone who had
> experienced a similar situation? I also hear that it's harder for younger women to leave
> the Ukraine, she's 31.