Visitor Visa

Old Oct 25th 2014, 6:27 pm
Just Joined

kateem92 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visitor Visa

Hi!
So glad I found this forum - hope you can help with my queries

My boyfriend is currently canadian expat in the UK - he's been here for two years and will be returning next year. I plan to go with him as from middle of next year we will be common-law.

When we first go over next year we won't be able to apply for common-law yet so I have to go in on a visitor visa. His work has a law firm that helps with immigration and they spoke us through all options for me and they said to go on visitor visa and then apply for common law while there, once PR app in can apply to extend to 1 yr visitor and it is more common to get approved while PR in process. They've given us great advice.

I'm just quite nervous about going through borders for 6 month visit. I did it before this summer but only for 2 weeks so there was no questioning.

The law firm said to say I am visiting my bf for a couple of months. We met through him working in the UK and established a relationship. Of course I won't mention that I will be applying for PR.

I realise that I need to convince them I will be returning to the UK. So I plan to take bank statement with funds, 6 month medical insurance and a return ticket to the UK. I will also have bf's address, number and name in case they need it.

I guess it's natural to be nervous so I would love it if you could help me by providing information of what to expect and any questions I will be asked.
Will I just be asked at the normal gate or will I be asked in a separate room?

The law firm have supplied us with great info but I am still a little worried!
Old Oct 25th 2014, 6:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visitor Visa

Originally Posted by kateem92
Hi!
So glad I found this forum - hope you can help with my queries

My boyfriend is currently canadian expat in the UK - he's been here for two years and will be returning next year. I plan to go with him as from middle of next year we will be common-law.

When we first go over next year we won't be able to apply for common-law yet so I have to go in on a visitor visa. His work has a law firm that helps with immigration and they spoke us through all options for me and they said to go on visitor visa and then apply for common law while there, once PR app in can apply to extend to 1 yr visitor and it is more common to get approved while PR in process. They've given us great advice.

I'm just quite nervous about going through borders for 6 month visit. I did it before this summer but only for 2 weeks so there was no questioning.

The law firm said to say I am visiting my bf for a couple of months. We met through him working in the UK and established a relationship. Of course I won't mention that I will be applying for PR.

I realise that I need to convince them I will be returning to the UK. So I plan to take bank statement with funds, 6 month medical insurance and a return ticket to the UK. I will also have bf's address, number and name in case they need it.

I guess it's natural to be nervous so I would love it if you could help me by providing information of what to expect and any questions I will be asked.
Will I just be asked at the normal gate or will I be asked in a separate room?

The law firm have supplied us with great info but I am still a little worried!
Its quite possible you might be referred into Immigration secondary office for a more in depth interview. You have been given good advice so stick with that. Just tell the truth and you have nothing to fear.
Old Oct 25th 2014, 6:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Its quite possible you might be referred into Immigration secondary office for a more in depth interview. You have been given good advice so stick with that. Just tell the truth and you have nothing to fear.
Ok thanks! What kind of Q's would be asked in an office interview?
Old Oct 25th 2014, 7:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kateem92
Ok thanks! What kind of Q's would be asked in an office interview?
If I told you that I would have to hunt you down and kill you. All CBSA officers have differing question techniques but the questions should be obvious.
How long will you be staying, how much money, where will you be staying, are you a convicted axe murderer etc etc.
Old Oct 25th 2014, 8:11 pm
Just Joined

If I told you that I would have to hunt you down and kill you. All CBSA officers have differing question techniques but the questions should be obvious.
How long will you be staying, how much money, where will you be staying, are you a convicted axe murderer etc etc.
Great - seems like the qs I've prepared for
Old Oct 25th 2014, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

thermophile is an unknown quantity at this point

Nearly every time I went to visit my boyfriend I was sent to secondary (I'm American driving across small checkpoints between Montana and Alberta). They always wanted to know how I was supporting myself for the length of time that I'd be in Canada. The rest of the questions were random, be ready for anything
Old Oct 25th 2014, 9:35 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Ahem. I recall following that advice when returning to California from a holiday back in the UK in, IIRC, 1980.

The Agent noticed that my J-1 visa was due to expire in about 4 months and asked what my longer term plans were. So I told the truth and said that I had a permanent job offer in the works (in Michigan) and that would mean I'd be getting a Green Card.

Oops.Instant apoplexy. Entering on a temp visa with the intention of staying permanently. I had to go before an Immigration judge in LA to sort it out.

That time I just lied: no problem.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Oct 25th 2014 at 9:38 pm.
Old Oct 25th 2014, 10:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Ahem. I recall following that advice when returning to California from a holiday back in the UK in, IIRC, 1980.

The Agent noticed that my J-1 visa was due to expire in about 4 months and asked what my longer term plans were. So I told the truth and said that I had a permanent job offer in the works (in Michigan) and that would mean I'd be getting a Green Card.

Oops.Instant apoplexy. Entering on a temp visa with the intention of staying permanently. I had to go before an Immigration judge in LA to sort it out.

That time I just lied: no problem.
Yeah but you were dealing with the Mericans not us nice Canadians. The US are a paranoid bunch even 34 years ago We Canadians use common sense or we don't give a shit I can't remember which one though.