Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

HELP - Left my PR card back in Canada when travelling to US

HELP - Left my PR card back in Canada when travelling to US

Old Mar 15th 2017, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

ributnaga is on a distinguished road
Unhappy HELP - Left my PR card back in Canada when travelling to US

I am a Canadian PR with a British Passport.

I went on a business trip to San Jose, CA, USA for 2 night with my British Passport but did not realized my PR card was back at my home in Vancouver. It was a stupid move and momentary carelessness on my part.

I applied for an ETA with my UK address (which is still active) hoping to enter back as a visitor. But the ETA system has replied asking to either renounce my PR or travel with my PR card.

So my option I am considering is
  • Hope my return flight Air Canada allows me onboard with my UK passport and let me through and I make my case at the Vancouver Airport.
  • Fly to Seattle/Bellingham and rent a car to cross the land border that does not require an ETA

Does anyone have any other advice or thoughts?

Thanks!
Old Mar 15th 2017, 2:40 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP - Left my PR card back in Canada when travelling to US

You should contact the Canadian Consulate in San Francisco to be issued a PRTD.
Old Mar 15th 2017, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Get someone to courier you the PR card, or get a PR travel document.

Otherwise, yeah, you'll have to fly to Washington and drive over. AC should be forced to refuse you boarding, as you can't present either a PR card or an eTA, absent which the computer will issue a don't-board message.
Old Mar 15th 2017, 2:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ributnaga

I went on a business trip to San Jose, CA, USA for 2 night with my British Passport but did not realized my PR card was back at my home in Vancouver. It was a stupid move and momentary carelessness on my part.

I applied for an ETA with my UK address (which is still active) hoping to enter back as a visitor. But the ETA system has replied asking to either renounce my PR or travel with my PR card.

• Hope my return flight Air Canada allows me onboard with my UK passport and let me through and I make my case at the Vancouver Airport.
  • Fly to Seattle/Bellingham and rent a car to cross the land border that does not require an ETA

Thanks!
You can't apply for an ETA as you are a PR. Very doubtful you will be able to board the plane without the PR card.

Can someone send you your PR card overnight/express etc...otherwise I would cross by land.
Old Mar 15th 2017, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Hope my return flight Air Canada allows me onboard with my UK passport and let me through and I make my case at the Vancouver Airport.

Two chances of this working - little and none I am afraid!

Fly to Seattle/Bellingham and rent a car to cross the land border that does not require an ETA

That should work as they can look you up on the system (or get someone to drive across and pick you up).

Alternatively, extend your stay a few days and get someone to find your PR card at your house and courier it to you??
Old Mar 15th 2017, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

ributnaga is on a distinguished road

Thanks all for the quick reply!

It looks like my best option is to cross by land. So I am booking a flight to Seattle (no direct flights to Bellingham from SJC) and then driving down to the border.

Don't really have the option to courier my card because I can't really pinpoint where the PR card would be exactly at the home and no one has the key to my apartment.

Will let everyone know how this pans out. Thanks again!
Old Mar 15th 2017, 3:03 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!
I did this once (albeit my PR card was out of date - but before new ETA rules). My wife courier it to me UPS in 24 hours.
Old Mar 15th 2017, 4:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all for the quick reply!

It looks like my best option is to cross by land. So I am booking a flight to Seattle (no direct flights to Bellingham from SJC) and then driving down to the border.

Don't really have the option to courier my card because I can't really pinpoint where the PR card would be exactly at the home and no one has the key to my apartment.

Will let everyone know how this pans out. Thanks again!
Just one caution...if you are renting a car in the US you probably won't be able to drop it off in Canada. Maybe you were thinking of walking across and picking up transport on the Canada side.
Old Mar 15th 2017, 5:11 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by JamesM
No problem!

I made the forgetting PR card mistake on a business day trip to NYC a couple of years ago.

At Vancouver Airport they'll send you through to immigration who will look you up on a system.

Apologies to the border officer on arrival and be upfront. You are a human and it was an accident.

You may be stuck in Vancouver Airport another half an hour or so depending on how busy they are.
1. That was then, this is now. Without either ETA, PRTD or PR card, a non US citizen or Green Card holder will not be allowed to board a flight to Canada.

PS, Most car rental firms have cars that can be dropped off in Vancouver, very usual during the cruise season. just check them out.
Old Mar 15th 2017, 5:16 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
No problem!

I made the forgetting PR card mistake on a business day trip to NYC a couple of years ago.

At Vancouver Airport they'll send you through to immigration who will look you up on a system.

Apologies to the border officer on arrival and be upfront. You are a human and it was an accident.

You may be stuck in Vancouver Airport another half an hour or so depending on how busy they are.
This is null and void. Just realised they have changed the system.

I'd actually call the airline in the first instance and see if they have any suggestions for how you can board the flight and what they will accept.

That failing the Consulate as Novo suggested.

Glad I travel on a Canadian passport now.
Old Mar 15th 2017, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Just one caution...if you are renting a car in the US you probably won't be able to drop it off in Canada. Maybe you were thinking of walking across and picking up transport on the Canada side.
There are lots of one-way rental cars dropped off in Vancouver, winter and summer (skiing, one-way cruises etc) and it is quite normal.

I've actually picked up rental cars at Vancouver airport twice in the past that had Washington plates on them, when visiting before we moved here.

You may have to pay a one-way fee to drop off, but there shouldn't be any other issues.

My two occasions were with Avis.

Last edited by withabix; Mar 15th 2017 at 9:48 pm.
Old Mar 15th 2017, 10:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by withabix
There are lots of one-way rental cars dropped off in Vancouver, winter and summer (skiing, one-way cruises etc) and it is quite normal.

I've actually picked up rental cars at Vancouver airport twice in the past that had Washington plates on them, when visiting before we moved here.

You may have to pay a one-way fee to drop off, but there shouldn't be any other issues.

My two occasions were with Avis.
That's good for the OP. I mentioned it because a few years ago we wanted to rent a car in the US and drop it in the Toronto area. We couldn't find a rental company that would allow us to do that.
Old Mar 16th 2017, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

NavyBoy is an unknown quantity at this point

One way hires across boarders is difficult. One way is to contact the rental agency and ask if they are doing any inventory swaps and offer to rent one. It works for them as they don't need to pay a driver.

The other one is U-Haul. It will mean driving one of their bigger box trucks but they do cross boarder. They used to do trucks and cargo vans but have stopped that at most locations.