Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Visa under the Skilled Worker Class?

Visa under the Skilled Worker Class?

Old Mar 8th 2008, 12:41 pm
Just Joined

Donlou is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Visa under the Skilled Worker Class?

Hello,
Can anyone possibly answer a couple of questions for me?
Firstly on the application form it says 'Where do you intend to live in Canada'?
Is this set in stone or can you choose somewhere different than originally stated on your application?
Also I know once your visa has been granted you must 'land' in Canada a year after your meds have been checked - Does this mean you must become a permanent resident then or can you just visit (say a holiday)to validate the visa and you can then choose when to relocate to Canada.?
Many thanks in advance for any info.
Old Mar 8th 2008, 1:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa under the Skilled Worker Class?

Originally Posted by Donlou
Hello,
Can anyone possibly answer a couple of questions for me?
Firstly on the application form it says 'Where do you intend to live in Canada'?
Is this set in stone or can you choose somewhere different than originally stated on your application?
Also I know once your visa has been granted you must 'land' in Canada a year after your meds have been checked - Does this mean you must become a permanent resident then or can you just visit (say a holiday)to validate the visa and you can then choose when to relocate to Canada.?
Many thanks in advance for any info.
Hello and welcome.

From what I understand, your choice of area in which to live isn't set in stone. There was somebody on here recently that asked the same question, I think they had put one area when they applied several years ago but now that their application was actually being processed they had changed their mind. And I'm pretty sure they were advised it didn't matter and they could change their mind. Do a search though and you'll probably find the exact thread.

And you can land on a holiday, triggering pr status, and then return back to the UK. Again, do a search on this because I think you can't return to the UK indefinitely and you must return within a set time period but I'm not sure what that is.

Hope my vague answers help but I'm sure somebody else will be along with more precise answers soon, or check out the Wiki or search for similar questions and that should answer your question. Best of luck with the process, are you trying to find a job to get over there quicker or just waiting patiently for skilled worker application?
Old Mar 8th 2008, 4:14 pm
Islander

windward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to all

I've read a few people on here do exactly as you describe - come over to activate their PR cards, then return to the UK to finalise house sales, kids schools etc.

As long as you follow the rules about being resident in Canada for three years out of your first five too you're fine.
Old Mar 8th 2008, 4:27 pm
No really, it doesn't

jimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond repute

Donlou I've borrowed this reply from another site that I asked the same question on.....hope it helps

The PR visas for you and your family will be issued together. They will be valid for a period of 12 months from the date of your medical examinations, meaning that there will be less than 12 months for you to land in Canada and activate the visas once you receive them, let's estimate that at 9 months for the sake of argument.

You don't all have to land together, but you, as the principle applicant, must land first.

Once activated, you (and each family member) must maintain a constant balance of being physically resident in Canada for the accumulated total of two years out of every five year period. So, in theory you could al land in Canada, activating your visas, stay for a while, obtain your PR cards, then return to UK for a year to finish work etc.

Problem. Once you become a PR in Canada you are liable to pay tax on your entire world income. This is a complex issue which I am not fully au fait with, especially from the UK perspective. There is a clause which allows you to claim that you are not resident for tax purposes if you follow the plan above, but you cannot find out for sure until you actual do so and submit a claim for exemption. However, you may find that the Canada/UK tax treaty may mean you have little to worry about.

Hope this helps
Old Mar 8th 2008, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Donlou
Under current rules it makes no difference for Federal applicants (PNP may require you to live in the province you applied through), though at some point the government might want to change the rules to give preference to people who want to go to 'booming' areas that are eager to get more workers in. I was originally planning to go to Edmonton but ended up in Saskatoon, and had no problems.

Edit: actually, that's not quite true, as I seem to remember that Quebec has some special rules of their own for PR.

Last edited by MarkG; Mar 8th 2008 at 4:44 pm.
Old Mar 8th 2008, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimmydean
Problem. Once you become a PR in Canada you are liable to pay tax on your entire world income.
Landing doesn't make you a resident for tax purposes; as you say, it's a complex issue, but generally if you land and then return to the UK you won't have to pay Canadian taxes until you move out full-time.
Old Mar 8th 2008, 5:53 pm
Just Joined

Donlou is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys for your advice - The problem I have is that my other half and I are in HM Forces and we cant escape! until 2013 so I figure as there seems to be a five year waiting period we should get the ball rolling so to speak.
If by some miracle we are granted a visa we would wish to go on a holiday to Canada to activate it and then return when our contract expires. Unfortunately we are not in a position to just up sticks when we want too.