Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Visa Stamped Personally in London??

Visa Stamped Personally in London??

Old Apr 6th 2008, 11:08 pm
YAY! Here and Loving it!

EmmaGrate is just really niceEmmaGrate is just really niceEmmaGrate is just really niceEmmaGrate is just really niceEmmaGrate is just really niceEmmaGrate is just really niceEmmaGrate is just really niceEmmaGrate is just really niceEmmaGrate is just really niceEmmaGrate is just really niceEmmaGrate is just really nice
Default Visa Stamped Personally in London??

Hi! Does anyone please know - am I allowed to take our passports to London to get them stamped personally or do I HAVE to send them off?

If I can go - do I have to make an appointment or is it a walk-in scenario, AND do my children have to be present ( they are all under 7)?

AM confused as I always thought that you can just go in and get it done, but my (Canadian) Immigration lawyer says its not possible to do that?

I am ready to go and really don't want to have to wait another month if at all possible!!!

Many thanks for reading!
AS
Old Apr 7th 2008, 12:26 am
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa Stamped Personally in London??

If this is for Permanent Residency you can turn up to the High Commission in London on a Thursday afternoon at the times on the letter they send you. You hand it in, get a raffle ticket, and can turn up two weeks later to pick it up again.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 4:36 pm
YAY! Here and Loving it!

EmmaGrate is just really niceEmmaGrate is just really niceEmmaGrate is just really niceEmmaGrate is just really niceEmmaGrate is just really niceEmmaGrate is just really niceEmmaGrate is just really niceEmmaGrate is just really niceEmmaGrate is just really niceEmmaGrate is just really niceEmmaGrate is just really nice

Yes, sorry it is for PR. Now - my lawyer ( based in Canada sadly!) says that this is not possible and of course they get the letter from the CHC not me (I just get a delayed e-mail!!) SO - any suggestions? Can't I just turn up on a Thursady, wait, and give them my passports and case ID do you think??

If I wanted to post it and go over before I get the visa stamped , could I get them done over there and land at a later date do you know? And... in this case can I go over on a one way ticket??? Maybe I shoudl ask that in a different thread?

Many thanks for your help :-)
Old Apr 7th 2008, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

You'll need the letter from CHC to get in, and you need to fill out some details and include more photos. They won't let you into the building without it.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmmaGrate
Yes, sorry it is for PR. Now - my lawyer ( based in Canada sadly!) says that this is not possible and of course they get the letter from the CHC not me (I just get a delayed e-mail!!) SO - any suggestions? Can't I just turn up on a Thursady, wait, and give them my passports and case ID do you think??

If I wanted to post it and go over before I get the visa stamped , could I get them done over there and land at a later date do you know? And... in this case can I go over on a one way ticket??? Maybe I shoudl ask that in a different thread?

AS Ben said, you can either hand them in and come back two weeks later to pick them up, or you can post the passports and have them posted back to you.

You can not get it done at border when landing.

I presume Judy has already written a wiki about it so well worth checking there.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 7:10 pm
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmmaGrate

Well you need the letter they send you to send your passports off anyway. There is a form in there you need to check and send off with the passports (and ours had the wrong file number, good job I checked it.) Unless your lawyer is sending your passports off for you you'll need him to send it to you.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 8:25 pm
YAY! Here and Loving it!

Originally Posted by YYZlover
AS Ben said, you can either hand them in and come back two weeks later to pick them up, or you can post the passports and have them posted back to you.

You can not get it done at border when landing.

I presume Judy has already written a wiki about it so well worth checking there.
HI - I didnt mean can I get them done at point of landing - just whether I can go over on visitors passport initially and then send the passports back to London for the visa - then when they return - THEN pop across the border ( Buffalo or wherever) and land properly!
Old Apr 7th 2008, 8:32 pm
YAY! Here and Loving it!

Originally Posted by Ben W Bell
Well you need the letter they send you to send your passports off anyway. There is a form in there you need to check and send off with the passports (and ours had the wrong file number, good job I checked it.) Unless your lawyer is sending your passports off for you you'll need him to send it to you.
Oh ok - well then I guess thats on its way (damned delays using a Canadian Lawyer but don't even get me STARTED on all that!!!LOL!) Thanks - guess I'll try and go over on visitors visa first then and send passports over for visas later on. ( just hope we don't all have to traipse back to the UK just to go back to land. Have som esort of inkling that that isnt the case though so X fingers!! Thanks for all your help - and that is of course extended to everyone who has replied :-).