Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Canada / Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Oct 31st 2017, 11:40 pm   #16
Premium Member
 
Aviator's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: CYXX
Posts: 12,051
Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa advice for moving a family with employment opportunity offered

Quote:
Originally Posted by christmasoompa View Post
assuming they've been advertising the job for a while already, as they have to prove they've advertised it for 4 weeks or more before being able to apply for a LMIA.
...and they do have to demonstrate they tried to hire Canadian/PR and were unsuccessful. This is not a formality.
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th 2017, 11:15 am   #17
Just Joined
 
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 13
David198 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Visa advice for moving a family with employment opportunity offered

Ok, so I have revisited the CRS & FSW I have the following scores based on a job offer supported by LMIA (my pitch to the employer) and the following comments

CRS (with LMIA job offer)
- I have a mechanical engineering degree + a 4 year maintenance engineering apprenticeship including a 2 year engineering diploma which equates to an A level
- We both have zero years work experience in Canada
- Job offer for an Operations Manager within an engineering organisation (NOC 0?)
Total Score = 499

FSW
- Language points = 24
- Education = 21 (worst case, but could be higher given above qualifications?)
- Experience = 11 (7 years post degree experience but this has been used in graduate eng role, senior engineer, project manager, asset manager & key account manager
- Age 12 points
- Job offer (LMIA NOC 0) 10 points
- Adaptability = 5 points (partners language level only)
Total Points = 83
David198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th 2017, 11:47 am   #18
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Somewhere between Vancouver & St Johns
Posts: 14,613
Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa advice for moving a family with employment opportunity offered

Quote:
Originally Posted by David198 View Post
Ok, so I have revisited the CRS & FSW I have the following scores based on a job offer supported by LMIA (my pitch to the employer) and the following comments

CRS (with LMIA job offer)
- I have a mechanical engineering degree + a 4 year maintenance engineering apprenticeship including a 2 year engineering diploma which equates to an A level
- We both have zero years work experience in Canada
- Job offer for an Operations Manager within an engineering organisation (NOC 0?)
Total Score = 499

FSW
- Language points = 24
- Education = 21 (worst case, but could be higher given above qualifications?)
- Experience = 11 (7 years post degree experience but this has been used in graduate eng role, senior engineer, project manager, asset manager & key account manager
- Age 12 points
- Job offer (LMIA NOC 0) 10 points
- Adaptability = 5 points (partners language level only)
Total Points = 83
Well you definitely qualify under FSW as the minimum is 67 points.
If the CRS score is accurate then you have a very very very good chance of getting the ITA.

The last updated list of number of candidates in pools is found in this link
Express Entry invitation rounds

The number of rounds and scores required are found in this link (different page)
Express Entry results: Previous rounds of invitations

Be aware that certain rounds are or could be for specific programmes only as in the case of the last round on 1 Nov 2017 was for PNP and FST applicants only.
The previous rounds link show you how many invites offered, scores required and which programmes.
Former Lancastrian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th 2017, 1:38 pm   #19
Just Joined
 
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 13
David198 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Visa advice for moving a family with employment opportunity offered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian View Post
Well you definitely qualify under FSW as the minimum is 67 points.
If the CRS score is accurate then you have a very very very good chance of getting the ITA.

The last updated list of number of candidates in pools is found in this link
Express Entry invitation rounds

The number of rounds and scores required are found in this link (different page)
Express Entry results: Previous rounds of invitations

Be aware that certain rounds are or could be for specific programmes only as in the case of the last round on 1 Nov 2017 was for PNP and FST applicants only.
The previous rounds link show you how many invites offered, scores required and which programmes.
Thank you. I am going to send an email to the employer this weekend providing some information on the different processes and the timescales. I can show the options and what support the employer could offer to speed up the progress.

being a complete newbie to this all.. it appears that a LIMIA supported job offer would be the quickest route through the FSW or CRS? I am still a bit confused if these are the same or different processes to obtain visas?

Many Thanks,

Dave
David198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th 2017, 1:50 pm   #20
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Somewhere between Vancouver & St Johns
Posts: 14,613
Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa advice for moving a family with employment opportunity offered

Quote:
Originally Posted by David198 View Post
Thank you. I am going to send an email to the employer this weekend providing some information on the different processes and the timescales. I can show the options and what support the employer could offer to speed up the progress.

being a complete newbie to this all.. it appears that a LIMIA supported job offer would be the quickest route through the FSW or CRS? I am still a bit confused if these are the same or different processes to obtain visas?

Many Thanks,

Dave
Its not the quickest way the LMIA supported job just gives you more points and an actual job when you get here and no proof of funds required. No job requirement for FSW applicants but proof of funds is required. Application times are about the same.
Former Lancastrian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th 2017, 3:03 pm   #21
Just Joined
 
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 13
David198 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Visa advice for moving a family with employment opportunity offered

Sorry to be a pain but what would be the quickest way? I have been reading the beginners guides on here and I am getting myself confused...

My understanding is I would have to either apply through FSW, CRS or PNP as a starting point?

having a LMIA approved job offer will help with points and having a job to go into but doesn't really impact which visa process I should go for?

my last query, a temp work visa is this something different to above or a result of applying using FSW, CRS or PNP?

Many Thanks,

Dave
David198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th 2017, 3:18 pm   #22
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Somewhere between Vancouver & St Johns
Posts: 14,613
Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa advice for moving a family with employment opportunity offered

Quote:
Originally Posted by David198 View Post
Sorry to be a pain but what would be the quickest way? I have been reading the beginners guides on here and I am getting myself confused...

My understanding is I would have to either apply through FSW, CRS or PNP as a starting point?

having a LMIA approved job offer will help with points and having a job to go into but doesn't really impact which visa process I should go for?

my last query, a temp work visa is this something different to above or a result of applying using FSW, CRS or PNP?

Many Thanks,

Dave
Temporary work permit is a whole different process.
Express Entry is basically a way to get Permanent Residency in Canada by qualifying under one of the programmes be it FSW, CEC or PNP etc. Each programme has its own criteria and the Govt indicated that most applications would be processed within 6 months of applying.

A temp work permit means an employer applying for the LMIA and paying the $1000 (if not exempt LMIA) and advertising the job and convincing ESDC that there are no qualified Canadians to do the job or none applied.

Has the LMIA actually been issued?
Former Lancastrian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th 2017, 4:27 pm   #23
Just Joined
 
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 13
David198 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Visa advice for moving a family with employment opportunity offered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian View Post
Temporary work permit is a whole different process.
Express Entry is basically a way to get Permanent Residency in Canada by qualifying under one of the programmes be it FSW, CEC or PNP etc. Each programme has its own criteria and the Govt indicated that most applications would be processed within 6 months of applying.

A temp work permit means an employer applying for the LMIA and paying the $1000 (if not exempt LMIA) and advertising the job and convincing ESDC that there are no qualified Canadians to do the job or none applied.

Has the LMIA actually been issued?
Thank you, that makes more sense now.

I don't think an LMIA has been issued as we are in very much initial discussions.

To me it seems sensible that I make a start on one of the options for permanent residency but highlight to my potential employer the option for a temp visa supported by LIMIA may be a quicker option although not guaranteed.
David198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th 2017, 7:03 pm   #24
Premium Member
 
Aviator's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: CYXX
Posts: 12,051
Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa advice for moving a family with employment opportunity offered

Quote:
Originally Posted by David198 View Post
Thank you, that makes more sense now.

I don't think an LMIA has been issued as we are in very much initial discussions.

To me it seems sensible that I make a start on one of the options for permanent residency but highlight to my potential employer the option for a temp visa supported by LIMIA may be a quicker option although not guaranteed.
Unless they have a pre approved LMIA, this is what they will need to go through to try and get one approved Applying for a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) | Alberta Canada - Alberta, Canada (same for all provinces)

If they have not already done so, they will have try and hire within Canada and show they have done so. Risk is that they find someone. Going through the motions is not sufficient, the employer has to make a real effort to hire in Canada. The LMIA process is under more scrutiny than the previous LMO process.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/hire/offers.asp

Last edited by Aviator; Nov 4th 2017 at 7:05 pm.
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th 2017, 2:47 pm   #25
BE Forum Addict
 
Engineer_abroad's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2015
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 1,202
Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa advice for moving a family with employment opportunity offered

Quote:
Originally Posted by David198 View Post
CRS (with LMIA job offer)
- I have a mechanical engineering degree + a 4 year maintenance engineering apprenticeship including a 2 year engineering diploma which equates to an A level
I cant tell from your calculations but just be careful you aren't adding your educations together to get the score. You get the points for your highest level of education only.

As an aside do take a look at the requirements for registering as an engineer in the province of your choice. Title and practice are protected here and you will need to gain a license, the ease of which depends by province.
__________________
TFW 12-11-15 (ICT SK)//EE pool 04-01-17// ITA (CEC) 12-01-2017 //Application 03-03-17//approval (mycic) 28-7-17//COPR 2-8-17//landed 5-9-17
Engineer_abroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Canada / Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 1:53 am.


Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1999-2010 BritishExpats.com