Very specific IEC visa question

Old Jul 15th 2015, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

Shenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Very specific IEC visa question

Hi

Thank you in advance for reading and/or responding to my question.

In this forum I have asked the question “Are charity organisations exempt from obtaining LMIA”. I had very constructive responses. One such kind contributor was Shirtback who raised an interesting question.

In my original post I stated I have IEC approved in 2014. I will activate it towards the end of this year and hope I will get a 2 year visa. Shirtback suggested I should research if it is possible to get a 2 year visa even if the IEC was approved in 2014 (prior to 2015 all UK IEC’s were valid for 1 year). So I googled and came across other forums which give mixed messages. Some forum contributors stated it is possible while others say it's not plus you must inform the immigration officer at the border that the IEC was issued in 2014 so it is valid for 1 year. I am still searching the answers in this forum but the the 2015 IEC page is 130+. I don’t want to start my Canada journey on the wrong foot.

I suspect when the immigration officer enters the code on the system to check the validity of my PoE letter she/he will find out the validity is for 1 year? There’s no validity on the PoE letter of how long I can stay in Canada. The only validity letter on the PoE i see refers to when the PoE will expire.

Has anyone come across/heard/read a case where IEC approved with 2014 rules (12 months visa) being issued with a 24 months visa in accordance with 2015 rules?

As always thank you for your feedback.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 1:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Very specific IEC visa question

Here is my 2 cents worth.
You applied under the old IEC programme which at the time a work permit for UK citizens was only valid for a year once the LOI was activated. You paid the $150 fee. For 2014 there were no compliance fees to be paid as there are now with 2015 applications.
CIC offices process the IEC applications and enter relevant details into their systems and initiate the work permit screens. In 2014 this was done in FOSS.
CIC have now introduced GCMS as their main business line and is now being used at POEs by CBSA officers.
Basically when the IEC applicant turns up at the border with their LOI CBSA would enter your UCI details into the system. Your work permit would be visible and CBSA would then issue and print it and give you a years validity from the date you arrive in Canada.
Im suspecting that you will only get 12 months if you activated tomorrow but you will not be required to pay the $100 compliance fee that 2015 applicants now have to.
Who knows maybe CBSA will give you 2 years maybe they won't.
I did find this in the IEC applicant guide which really doesn't answer the question

The IEC participation fee is tied to an individual application in a given year. It cannot be transferred to another application, person or year.
Application Guide for Foreign Applicants – International Experience Canada (IEC)

So a question to you is lets just say you turn up at the border with your LOI and request the work permit and the officer asks about the open work permit compliance fee of $100. Do you pay it and hope they give you 2 years on the WP or state I applied in 2014 and the compliance fee wasn't in force therefore I shouldn't have to pay it and accept the 12 month WP?
I haven't come across this scenario yet.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

Shenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much Former Lancastrian.

I have passed through many airports (work reasons) and my experience is, immigration officers are eagle eyed. They don't try to trip you and don't take kindly if you are not upon and honest with them.

I would be honest, upfront and inform the CBSA officer that the IEC was approved in 2014. My view is if i am not honest about it, i may be denied the 12 months visa as well (playing the i did not know sorry card after getting caught is no defense). After declaring to CBSA, i will be happy to pay the $100 compliance fee if asked and will take what visa i am issued. If 12 months great and if 24 months fantastic.

I was thinking to buy a 24 month insurance and have a flexible return ticket just in case.

This may sound cheesy but asking for a visa to live and work in Canada is a privilege and not a right.

Thanks again
Old Jul 15th 2015, 6:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

I really have no clue, but my post on your other thread was not about whether you might be granted 2 years on the IEC you already have, but rather about whether you might be eligible to apply for 2nd one next year, given that the initial one was granted in 2014.

(See link I gave in other thread?).
Old Jul 15th 2015, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Shirtback
I really have no clue, but my post on your other thread was not about whether you might be granted 2 years on the IEC you already have, but rather about whether you might be eligible to apply for 2nd one next year, given that the initial one was granted in 2014.

(See link I gave in other thread?).
Apologies i misunderstood your post
I'm afraid i am over the hill for 2nd IEC application. I turned 31 earlier this year. Whatever visa/WP i get i will come back here and post an update in case someone has the same question as me.

Thanks again.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

Compliance fee aside, based on when this happened to Ireland a couple years ago, you will be given 12 months.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shenkor
Apologies i misunderstood your post
I'm afraid i am over the hill for 2nd IEC application. I turned 31 earlier this year. Whatever visa/WP i get i will come back here and post an update in case someone has the same question as me.

Thanks again.
Ah, darn .

Good luck & keep us posted.
Old Jul 16th 2015, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ChrisBan
Compliance fee aside, based on when this happened to Ireland a couple years ago, you will be given 12 months.
Thanks for the clarification and confirmation.
Old Jul 16th 2015, 9:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shenkor
Thanks for the clarification and confirmation.
I wouldn't say confirmation, just what past experience suggests as FL said you could be given either