Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Using UK Electrical items in canada

Using UK Electrical items in canada

Old Jan 25th 2001, 10:09 pm
chrisross.arc

I am aware that in Canada they run electrical equipment on 110 volts and the UK goods run
on 230 volts.

Does any one know if one can buy an adapter to step the voltage up and thereby enable one
to use UK electrical goods in Canada?

If so, where one buy the adapter ?

Chris [email protected]

Old Jan 26th 2001, 12:05 am
Birol

There is 220 volts in Canada, Dryer and oven ranges use 220 volts. We asked the builder
of our house to make an extra outlet for our European Microwave oven, it was no
problems at all.

Normal receptacles use 110 though, you have to arrange to have 220, which is not free

Good luck.

> CR - we're in a similar situation - we have to decide whether to sell-up,
or
> to ship our kit then worry about voltage differences...
>
> I have friends who have come from the US (bringing some electrical items with them) They
> encountered the following:
>
> 1) Firstly, a record-deck was damaged in transit, thereby rendering it useless in the
> first place! (Sure insurance covered it, but the product in question had been a
> present, and therefore irreplaceable in some respects)
>
> 2) The transformer required was VERY expensive to buy, incredibly bulky,
and
> very noisy (emitting an irritating continual "hum")
>
> 3) WARRANTIES - IF a problem develops, you need to be sure that the
product
> can be serviced in the near vicinity...
>
> I personally have a stack of Home Theatre gear that I'll be very upset to have to sell
> and then replace on landing. We think it's the only way
(unless
> anybody can advise to the contrary?).
>
> The beauty of course is that we'll have brand new kit designed
specifically
> to operate within our landing location, with brand new warranties (plus of course the
> fantastic feeling of being a "kid in a sweetshop" all over again!!!)
>

> > I am aware that in Canada they run electrical equipment on 110 volts and
> the
> > UK goods run on 230 volts.
> >
> > Does any one know if one can buy an adapter to step the voltage up and thereby enable
> > one to use UK electrical goods in Canada?
> >
> > If so, where one buy the adapter ?
> >
> > Chris [email protected]
> >
> >

Old Jan 26th 2001, 4:19 am
n-noorani

My advise: sell it.

We came here with TV/VCR's with PAL systems, ovens, mixies, hairdryers all with 220
volts. We had this 'Brainy' guy who told us the convertors work fine. Truth is they
don't. They overheat, burnout fast and quite frankly, scared the heckoutta me. And yes
they are noisy as well.

Read more in Arrival Survival Canada A handbook for new immigrants www.arrivalsurvival.com

Old Jan 26th 2001, 6:41 am
Darren ORourke

CR - we're in a similar situation - we have to decide whether to sell-up, or to ship our
kit then worry about voltage differences...

I have friends who have come from the US (bringing some electrical items with them) They
encountered the following:

1) Firstly, a record-deck was damaged in transit, thereby rendering it useless in the
first place! (Sure insurance covered it, but the product in question had been a
present, and therefore irreplaceable in some respects)

2) The transformer required was VERY expensive to buy, incredibly bulky, and very noisy
(emitting an irritating continual "hum")

3) WARRANTIES - IF a problem develops, you need to be sure that the product can be
serviced in the near vicinity...

I personally have a stack of Home Theatre gear that I'll be very upset to have to sell and
then replace on landing. We think it's the only way (unless anybody can advise to the
contrary?).

The beauty of course is that we'll have brand new kit designed specifically to operate
within our landing location, with brand new warranties (plus of course the fantastic
feeling of being a "kid in a sweetshop" all over again!!!)

> I am aware that in Canada they run electrical equipment on 110 volts and
the
> UK goods run on 230 volts.
>
> Does any one know if one can buy an adapter to step the voltage up and thereby enable
> one to use UK electrical goods in Canada?
>
> If so, where one buy the adapter ?
>
> Chris [email protected]

Old Jan 26th 2001, 11:47 pm
Rich Wales

"Birol" wrote:

> We asked the builder of our house to make an extra outlet for our European Microwave
> oven, it was no problem at all. Normal receptacles use 110 though, you have to
> arrange to have 220,

If you do get a 220V outlet, though, keep in mind that the power line frequency in Canada
is 60 (not 50) Hz. Any European appliance which uses the power line frequency as a timing
reference is going to have problems (clocks will run fast, etc.).

Computer equipment is likely to be OK, because computer power supplies usually have a
110/220 voltage switch, and timing is regulated via a crystal and not from the AC power
line frequency.

European TV's won't work in Canada. Totally aside from power line voltage or frequency
issues, the broadcast signal specs are different (Canada uses NTSC, same as the US).
Similarly for VCR's (unless you are only talking about playing European tapes onto a
European TV).

European radio receivers may not work properly in Canada. The AM frequency spacing in
Canada is 10 (not 9) kHz. I believe FM signal width and audio preemphasis specs are
different, so if you do try to tune in a Canadian FM station with a European receiver, I
don't think it will sound right. Radio equipment which can be reconfigured to US specs
will work in Canada, though (I've seen a few digital stereos which let you change between
US and European specs via some hidden button, holding an obscure combination of buttons
down while powering the unit on, etc.).

With any large appliance, you should of course consider whether or not you can get
warranty service; how easy, hard, or impossible it will be to get maintenance or repair
parts; and, of course, shipping costs compared to selling it in Europe and buying a new
item locally after you arrive in Canada.

Rich Wales [email protected] http://www.webcom.com/richw/
*NOTE: I've lived in both Canada and the US and have dual citizenship.
*DISCLAIMER: I am not a lawyer, professional immigration consultant,
or consular officer. My comments are for discussion purposes only and
are not intended to be relied upon as legal or professional advice.

Old Jan 27th 2001, 12:13 pm
gallaghe

> We asked the builder of our house to make an extra outlet for
> > our European Microwave oven, it was no problem at all. Normal receptacles use
> > 110 though, you have to arrange to have 220,
>
(snip)
>
> With any large appliance, you should of course consider whether or not you can get
> warranty service; how easy, hard, or impossible it will be to get maintenance or repair
> parts; and, of course, shipping costs compared to selling it in Europe and buying a new
> item locally after you arrive in Canada.
>
> Rich Wales [email protected]

One other item to add is the issue of insurance. If an electrical item that was not
certified for use in Canada were to cause a fire, you might find that it voids any
homeowners/fire insurance that you have. Items certified for use will have a CSA (Canadian
Standards Association) or a ULC (Underwriters Laboratories of Canada) label.

Stephen Gallagher

Old Jan 27th 2001, 11:19 pm
John

Always look at the power level this stuff can convert. Never use 50Watt thing with iron
cause it can launch just like 'Challenger'.

>We had this 'Brainy' guy who told us the convertors work fine. Truth is they don't. They
>overheat, burnout fast and quite frankly, scared the heckoutta me. And yes they are
>noisy as well.

Old Jan 29th 2001, 4:47 pm
Chris Vowell

We're not taking any major electrical appliances but we would like to take some rather
nice table lamps with us. Has anybody done this and been able to change the UK bayonet
type lampholders for Edison screw type as used in North America? Or is there any adaptor
available?

Obviously, lightbulbs and plugs will then be changed to 110v but, hopefully, cabling and
switching will still be OK

Thanks

Chris Vowell

>
> > > We asked the builder of our house to make an extra outlet for our European
> > > Microwave oven, it was no problem at all. Normal receptacles use 110 though, you
> > > have to arrange to have 220,
> >
> (snip)
> >
> > With any large appliance, you should of course consider whether or not you can get
> > warranty service; how easy, hard, or impossible it will be to get maintenance or
> > repair parts; and, of course, shipping costs compared to selling it in Europe and
> > buying a new item locally after you arrive in Canada.
> >
> > Rich Wales [email protected]
>
> One other item to add is the issue of insurance. If an electrical item that was not
> certified for use in Canada were to cause a fire, you might find that it voids any
> homeowners/fire insurance that you have. Items certified for use will have a CSA
> (Canadian Standards Association) or a ULC (Underwriters Laboratories of Canada) label.
>
> Stephen Gallagher

Old Feb 8th 2001, 12:25 am
Richard Polley

Though not exactly what you asked, computers and accoesorieis, and battery charges (for
camcorder batterries etc.) seem often to work on either voltage.