US citizens visiting Canada

Old Jan 15th 2001, 8:36 pm
Meagan Jaynes

I've just been to the Citizen and Immigration Canada website because I was wondering if a
US citizen by birth needed a passport. I was able to find this statement in fine-print at
the bottom of their faq (visitor's visas) page. "Permanent residents and citizens of
Greenland, St. Pierre and Miquelon, and the United States who come directly from their
country of permanent residence or citizenship need proof of citizenship, but do not
necessarily require a passport." So what would prove their citizenship? anything besides a
birth certificate?

Thanks for your help.

Meagan

Old Jan 15th 2001, 9:07 pm
Andrew Miller

Birth certificate itself proves nothing as it doesn't have current photo of the holder.
You must have a valid picture ID (Driver's License) with your Birth Certificate to be able
to enter Canada or re-enter US. But remember that passport is always the best proof of
one's citizenship and it is advised to carry it at all times when traveling abroad, even
if US or Canadian citizen is just crossing 49th parallel.

--

../..

Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia email:
[email protected] (delete REMOVE and INVALID from the above address before
sending an email)

> I've just been to the Citizen and Immigration Canada website because I was wondering if
> a US citizen by birth needed a passport. I was able to find this statement in fine-print
> at the bottom of their faq (visitor's visas) page. "Permanent residents and citizens of
> Greenland, St. Pierre and Miquelon, and the United States who come directly from their
> country of permanent residence or citizenship need proof of citizenship, but do not
> necessarily require a passport." So what would prove their citizenship? anything besides
> a birth certificate?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Meagan

Old Jan 15th 2001, 9:10 pm
David R. Tucker

I've just been to the Citizen and Immigration Canada website because I was
> wondering if a US citizen by birth needed a passport. I was able to find this statement
> in fine-print at the bottom of their faq (visitor's visas) page. "Permanent residents
> and citizens of Greenland, St. Pierre and Miquelon, and the United States who come
> directly from their country of permanent residence or citizenship need proof of
> citizenship, but do not necessarily require a passport." So what would prove their
> citizenship? anything besides a birth certificate?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Meagan

These documents prove US citizenship:

Passport Expired passport Birth certificate, gov't issued w/raised or multicolored seal

and, for those born outside the US,

INS Certificate of Citizenship INS Certificate of Naturalization State Dept. issued
"Certification of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States"

If the document you use doesn't prove identity, you need a driver's license or other
similar ID.

--
David R. Tucker [email protected]

Old Jan 17th 2001, 11:23 am
Stephen Gallagher

I've just been to the Citizen and Immigration Canada website because I was
> wondering if a US citizen by birth needed a passport. I was able to find this statement
> in fine-print at the bottom of their faq (visitor's visas) page. "Permanent residents
> and citizens of Greenland, St. Pierre and Miquelon, and the United States who come
> directly from their country of permanent residence or citizenship need proof of
> citizenship, but do not necessarily require a passport." So what would prove their
> citizenship? anything besides a birth
certificate?

As you stated, a birth certificate can be used as proof of citizenship, as long as it is
accompanied by some other photo ID to prove that you are the person named in the birth
certificate.

Another proof of citizenship would be a certificate of naturalization, for persons who
were not born US citizens, but who later became one.

At one time, a voter's registration card was also acknowledged as proof of citizenship.
However, given the fact that most states do not require a person to show proof of
citizenship when they register to vote, this is generally not accepted. Plus, many states
do not even issue them anymore.

Stephen Gallagher

Old Feb 19th 2001, 5:35 am
Don R.

>Birth certificate itself proves nothing as it doesn't have current photo of the holder.
>You must have a valid picture ID (Driver's License) with your Birth Certificate to be
>able to enter Canada or re-enter US. But remember that passport is always the best proof
>of one's citizenship and it is advised to carry it at all times when traveling abroad,
>even if US or Canadian citizen is just crossing 49th parallel.

I've driven into Canada several times on both the I-5 entry and the 'truck crossing' just
to the east. Not once have I ever been asked for any ID.

Yet, flying into Vancouver (YVR) on a commercial scheduled flight, I've gotten into quite
a hassle on more than one occasion with the Canada Immigration person who demanded either
a Birth Certificate or a Passport. A Calif. Driver's License with picture and Social
security card were both totally unacceptable. I always raised absolute hell with them and,
eventually, was passed thru.

JTYLTK. Don R. <[email protected]

Old Feb 19th 2001, 10:52 am
David R. Tucker

> On Mon, 15 Jan 2001 22:07:12 GMT, "Andrew Miller"

> >Birth certificate itself proves nothing as it doesn't have current photo of the holder.
> >You must have a valid picture ID (Driver's License) with your Birth Certificate to be
> >able to enter Canada or re-enter US. But remember that passport is always the best
> >proof of one's citizenship and it is advised to carry it at all times when traveling
> >abroad, even if US or Canadian citizen is just crossing 49th parallel.

> I've driven into Canada several times on both the I-5 entry and the 'truck crossing'
> just to the east. Not once have I ever been asked for any ID.

You should have had it, even if they didn't ask for it.

> Yet, flying into Vancouver (YVR) on a commercial scheduled flight, I've gotten into
> quite a hassle on more than one occasion with the Canada Immigration person who demanded
> either a Birth Certificate or a Passport. A Calif. Driver's License with picture and
> Social security card were both totally unacceptable. I always raised absolute hell with
> them and, eventually, was passed thru.

Next time, if justice prevails, you won't be.

Immigration officers, take note: allowing through the sort of person who "raises hell"
when he intentionally failed to carry proper documentation merely serves to license repeat
performances.

--
David R. Tucker [email protected]

"I may be wrong, but I'm not Clearly Erroneous."

- Judge Hillman

Address is valid but temporary.

Old Feb 19th 2001, 3:24 pm
PMM

Hi Don

> On Mon, 15 Jan 2001 22:07:12 GMT, "Andrew Miller"

>
> >Birth certificate itself proves nothing as it doesn't have current photo
of the
> >holder. You must have a valid picture ID (Driver's License) with your
Birth
> >Certificate to be able to enter Canada or re-enter US. But remember that passport is
> >always the best proof of one's citizenship and it is advised
to
> >carry it at all times when traveling abroad, even if US or Canadian
citizen is
> >just crossing 49th parallel.
>
> I've driven into Canada several times on both the I-5 entry and the 'truck crossing'
>
> Yet, flying into Vancouver (YVR) on a commercial scheduled flight, I've gotten into
> quite a hassle on more than one occasion with the Canada Immigration person who demanded
> either a Birth Certificate or a Passport. A Calif. Driver's License with picture and
> Social security card were both totally unacceptable. I always raised absolute hell with
>
> JTYLTK. Don R. <[email protected]>

Consider yourself lucky, a Drivers license and SS card do not prove citizenship.

PMM

Old Feb 20th 2001, 1:44 am
Stephen C. Gallagher

> >Birth certificate itself proves nothing as it doesn't have current photo
of the
> >holder. You must have a valid picture ID (Driver's License) with your
Birth
> >Certificate to be able to enter Canada or re-enter US. But remember that passport is
> >always the best proof of one's citizenship and it is advised
to
> >carry it at all times when traveling abroad, even if US or Canadian
citizen is
> >just crossing 49th parallel.
>
>

They're totally within their right to give you a hard time. The law says that every person
coming into Canada must have proof of citizenship with them. The fact that they never
asked you to show anything when you crossed the border by car, doesn't mean that you're
not supposed to have this proof with you. A California drivers license doesn't prove your
citizenship. Foreigner's can and do hold driver's licenses.