Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Unemployed Non-immigrant Student Visa Pursuant

Unemployed Non-immigrant Student Visa Pursuant

Old Jan 28th 2024, 5:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unemployed Non-immigrant Student Visa Pursuant

Originally Posted by HayBee
Most Masters and PhDs program in Canada are fully-funded. You can make findings.
PhD's, yes. Two very different things, are you now saying you're doing a PhD?

The F1 student I applied for earlier, I said I don't have anyone there. Yet, I was denied. Now, I can't place my uncle in the picture of any US Visa again because of this, or can I?
So did you lie on your first F1 visa app, or did your Uncle not live there then? Your chances for a US student visa are even lower than in Canada I'd say, so regardless of the answer to that I'd still try Canada first.
Old Jan 28th 2024, 5:53 pm
Just Joined

HayBee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Having done some searching it would appear that there are some universities in Canada that offer fully funded PhD programs. Have not read about Master programs being fully funded, although there are some grants which can be obtained.
So, if you have found a college/university that is prepared to fully fund you - then congrats.
Presumably they already know about your current situation - unemployed - or would not have offered you the grant/funding?
If you have not given them this info then, you might be on more shaky ground.
It's not the school that is giving me funding. The professor has grant in his chosen research so he uses that to fund the people carrying out research under his supervision. So he pays stipend and tuition fees.
Old Jan 28th 2024, 5:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

It's not the school that is giving me funding. The professor has grant in his chosen research so he uses that to fund the people carrying out research under his supervision. So he pays stipend and tuition fees.
And that's what we're saying may be an issue for the visa you want to get. Exactly how many hours a week will you be doing research in exchange for this?? How much is the stipend?
Old Jan 28th 2024, 6:05 pm
Just Joined

It's Masters I am planning to do not PhD. I just used PhD as an instance.
Old Jan 28th 2024, 6:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
So did you lie on your first F1 visa app, or did your Uncle not live there then? Your chances for a US student visa are even lower than in Canada I'd say, so regardless of the answer to that I'd still try Canada first.
I didn't include him then because it will lower my chances. Can I apply to other visa status in US? How can I bring my uncle into this picture?
Old Jan 28th 2024, 6:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

https://academia.stackexchange.com/q...-for-a-phd-app

As per the above you can get grants/funding for masters and Phd courses, so if the OP thinks he has an advisor that will fund him then he should pursue it.

The OP asked whether him being unemployed might affect the offer of the funding - if he has NOT told his advisor that he is unemployed then advisor might think twice about the funding or he could get rejected by the application process itself.
If advisor knows about the unemployment then he should be OK.
Old Jan 28th 2024, 6:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I didn't include him then because it will lower my chances. Can I apply to other visa status in US? How can I bring my uncle into this picture?
So you lied on your application? That's a potential ban from the US, I wouldn't even bother applying again personally.

Your chances are slightly higher for Canada and you have the offer of a paid course it seems. So just try applying for a Canadian study permit (or work permit depending on the hours of research etc). If that is refused as well, then look at masters programs in Nigeria.

Good luck.

Old Jan 28th 2024, 6:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

You would only bring uncle into the picture if you get a place in university but don't get full funding and would need to show how you are going to fund your course.
Old Jan 28th 2024, 6:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

https://academia.stackexchange.com/q...-for-a-phd-app

As per the above you can get grants/funding for masters and Phd courses, so if the OP thinks he has an advisor that will fund him then he should pursue it.
Absolutely, but it may mean a different visa. Only very limited work is permitted on a study permit.

But the OP hasn't given the info I asked for regarding the hours etc, so can't help him with that, he'll need to do his own research and work out which visa to apply for.
Old Jan 28th 2024, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

Absolutely, but it may mean a different visa. Only very limited work is permitted on a study permit.

But the OP hasn't given the info I asked for regarding the hours etc, so can't help him with that, he'll need to do his own research and work out which visa to apply for.
Not much working hours that will affect studies.
Old Jan 28th 2024, 6:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sure .... based on what funding he is getting from his advisor, he'll have to work out how much of his own money he needs and whether he needs to work during his stay.
Old Jan 28th 2024, 6:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Not much working hours that will affect studies.
I can't believe you'll have your tuition ($30k a year or so??), plus a stipend (presumably $15k+ a year if it's to cover your living costs?) paid for by this professor unless it's quite a bit of research work in exchange. You need to find out exactly how many hours a week you'll be expected to do this research in exchange for your funding, and where (on campus/off campus).
Old Jan 28th 2024, 6:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Sure .... based on what funding he is getting from his advisor, he'll have to work out how much of his own money he needs and whether he needs to work during his stay.
I doubt he'll be able to work anywhere else anyway.
Old Jan 28th 2024, 7:30 pm
Just Joined

I will be working in the school.
Old Jan 28th 2024, 9:04 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

The F1 student I applied for earlier, I said I don't have anyone there. Yet, I was denied. Now, I can't place my uncle in the picture of any US Visa again because of this, or can I?
One of the very first and most important rule when dealing with any country's immigration is NOT TO LIE. Even a lie of omission is a falsehood. If asked again, I would mention your uncle and if asked about it attempt to explain. Can't fathom why having a relative who is not able to sponsor you for a visa would be an adverse issue to your receiving a student visa.

Last edited by Rete; Jan 28th 2024 at 9:07 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.