Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Unemployed Non-immigrant Student Visa Pursuant

Unemployed Non-immigrant Student Visa Pursuant

Old Jan 27th 2024, 3:19 pm
Just Joined

HayBee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Unemployed Non-immigrant Student Visa Pursuant

I am going to be clear with my case. Let me be start by confessing that currently I'm not employed, and I'm from Nigeria. I started my US student visa processing two years ago but hit a stumble block - I was not granted Visa. Now, I don't want to put my eggs in one basket. I have decided to try Canada along with my US Visa again. Recently, a professor agreed to supervise my Masters program in one university in Ontario on a full-funding. I have started the OUAC application but have not submitted. This is due to the skeptism of writing my employment status so as not to spoil my chances of student visa. With my current employment status, do you think I can be granted a student visa in Canada? Although, I have other past work experience which is similar to my intended field of study.
My age is 28. Graduated 2018.
Old Jan 27th 2024, 5:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unemployed Non-immigrant Student Visa Pursuant

How long have you been unemployed for and how much do you have in funds to support yourself?

What do you mean 'supervise your masters on a full-funding'?? What is the name of the college/university?
Old Jan 27th 2024, 5:49 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your concern. God bless you.
Let me narrate my employment history, so that you get the whole picture. I started as an intern in a company that specializes in Industrial Automations. I spent a year there. After there, I resigned to join the Navy, but Navy later dropped me. They doctored my health report to paint me unfit for the exercise. I spent almost a year to get another job after that before I joined a production company as a technical operator for a year. The job is very stressful and not lucrative. Left there after a year. Now, I joined a networking company as an intern through a UN fellowship program. It seems they don't would not retain us after the training program.

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
What do you mean 'supervise your masters on a full-funding'?? What is the name of the college/university?
Canada universities require a supervisor to accept you before you can proceed with your application. So, I mean he agree to be my supervisor during my intended study period. The university is Ontario Tech University.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 27th 2024 at 5:59 pm.
Old Jan 27th 2024, 6:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HayBee
Canada universities require a supervisor to accept you before you can proceed with your application. So, I mean he agree to be my supervisor during my intended study period.
It was the full-funding I was querying. What do you mean by that?

Ontario Tech in Oshawa? That is a Designated Learning Institution so that's good.

What is your degree in and what is the masters program? And as above, how much do you have set aside for studying in Canada?
Old Jan 27th 2024, 6:15 pm
Just Joined

It was the full-funding I was querying. What do you mean by that?

Ontario Tech in Oshawa? That is a Designated Learning Institution so that's good.

What is your degree in and what is the masters program? And as above, how much do you have set aside for studying in Canada?
Full funding means the Prof will take care of living and tuition fees. Yes, OnTechUni is located in Oshawa.
I studied electrical engineering, and I will be pursuing masters of science in electrical and electronics engineering. I don't have much saved for this purpose. Exams like GRE, TOEFL, and IELTS have taken most of savings. Even the US Visa processing too has a toll on my finances. Regardless, my uncle is in the US so he is ready to sponsor if there's deficit in the funding.
Old Jan 27th 2024, 6:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Full funding means the Prof will take care of living and tuition fees. Yes, OnTechUni is located in Oshawa.
I studied electrical engineering, and I will be pursuing masters of science in electrical and electronics engineering. I don't have much saved for this purpose. Exams like GRE, TOEFL, and IELTS have taken most of savings. Even the US Visa processing too has a toll on my finances. Regardless, my uncle is in the US so he is ready to sponsor if there's deficit in the funding.
That seems odd, never heard of a professor funding everything for you - is this definitely legit, and done through the uni? Your Uncle would have to give you the funds as you need them in your bank account when you apply - will be about $50,000 per year of study it seems.

Also, I see from your other thread that you hope to stay longer term, how long is the course?
Old Jan 28th 2024, 10:30 am
Just Joined

Yes, it is very legit so far it's the research of the professor you will be undertaking.
How can I prove my home ties since I am not employed?
Old Jan 28th 2024, 4:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Yes, it is very legit so far it's the research of the professor you will be undertaking.
How can I prove my home ties since I am not employed?
I think you need to carefully check that what you want to do is allowed on a study permit, you may find you need a work permit instead, but I'm really not clear on what you're actually doing i.e. are you studying for a masters, or are you doing research, and how long the course is etc.

Bottom line is that your chances are very low. It's tough for Nigerians anyway with an approval rate of only something like 17% IRRC, and your case doesn't seem to be terribly strong without many ties, without much work experience and without funding it yourself. The professor paying your way in exchange for research is also a big red flag. But all you can do is give it a go, you never know.

Good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 28th 2024 at 5:05 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2024, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

No, try and understand. I am going for master program. So one of the requirements is to get a supervisor before commencing your application. Fortunately, I have gotten one as stated earlier, and he said he provides full-funding for his students.
Old Jan 28th 2024, 5:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

No, try and understand. I am going for master program. So one of the requirements is to get a supervisor before commencing your application. Fortunately, I have gotten one as stated earlier, and he said he provides full-funding for his students.
I understand perfectly. But it's not normal, may not be permitted on a study permit, and may be a red flag. As above, I think your chances are slim, but all your can do is apply and see what happens.
Old Jan 28th 2024, 5:17 pm
Just Joined

Two years Masters program.
Old Jan 28th 2024, 5:19 pm
Just Joined

I understand perfectly. But it's not normal, may not be permitted on a study permit, and may be a red flag. As above, I think your chances are slim, but all your can do is apply and see what happens.
Most Masters and PhDs program in Canada are fully-funded. You can make findings.
Old Jan 28th 2024, 5:28 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Christmasoompa that we understand what you are saying but we don't believe that this scenario is acceptable for obtaining a student visa. Professors may provide intellectual sponsorship, but it is extremely doubtful that their paying your tuition and living expenses is acceptable for the visa.

It is more that this Professor is sponsoring you for a work visa where your salary will be used for cost of living, tuition, and for research on his behalf.

Seems as though you need to find employment in your country, save more funds, or ask your Uncle for money, and at least get the correct information from a well versed competent immigration attorney.

BTW your Uncle cannot sponsor you for any type of visa into the US. He might be able to fund your schooling but that is all he will be able to do for you.
Old Jan 28th 2024, 5:33 pm
Just Joined

The F1 student I applied for earlier, I said I don't have anyone there. Yet, I was denied. Now, I can't place my uncle in the picture of any US Visa again because of this, or can I?
Old Jan 28th 2024, 5:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Most Masters and PhDs program in Canada are fully-funded. You can make findings.

Having done some searching it would appear that there are some universities in Canada that offer fully funded PhD programs. Have not read about Master programs being fully funded, although there are some grants which can be obtained.
So, if you have found a college/university that is prepared to fully fund you - then congrats.
Presumably they already know about your current situation - unemployed - or would not have offered you the grant/funding?
If you have not given them this info then, you might be on more shaky ground.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.