UK plumber in need of help!!

Old Feb 24th 2012, 1:23 pm
Just Joined

Jenna2109 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK plumber in need of help!!

Hi I am new to this site! My partner, daughter (2) and myself are looking into moving to Canada. My partner is a qualified plumber of 7+ years with his City and Guilds level 2 certificates. We are looking at Vancouver to relocate to as we have friends there. Does he need to do any extra exams/tests to work as a plumber in Canada or can he work with his trade certificates from the UK? I've tried my best to research this but unable to find an answer.
I would be so grateful if anyone could help me or point me in the right direction of finding this information out.

Many thanks, Jenna
Old Feb 24th 2012, 1:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK plumber in need of help!!

Originally Posted by Jenna2109
Hi I am new to this site! My partner, daughter (2) and myself are looking into moving to Canada. My partner is a qualified plumber of 7+ years with his City and Guilds level 2 certificates. We are looking at Vancouver to relocate to as we have friends there. Does he need to do any extra exams/tests to work as a plumber in Canada or can he work with his trade certificates from the UK? I've tried my best to research this but unable to find an answer.
I would be so grateful if anyone could help me or point me in the right direction of finding this information out.

Many thanks, Jenna
Have a quick search of the forum for the term 'Red Seal' - that's what he'll need to work in Canada I believe.

Hopefully that should give you the info you need.

Do you have visas already?
Old Feb 24th 2012, 2:09 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.itabc.ca/Page956.aspx
Old Feb 25th 2012, 6:13 am
Forum Regular

parker14 is an unknown quantity at this point

This trade is not regulated in BC so he can work with his UK credentials. The problem will be finding an employer willing to employ him without the Red Seal.
Old Feb 25th 2012, 7:06 am
BE Enthusiast

linz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi
Plumber is a regulated occupation in BC, see the link that Aviator has provided and that website will tell you all about the exams and proof of experience you need to become registered.
You are required to prove something like 9360 hours as a hands on Plumber before they will allow you to sit the exam. To pass you must get 70% or more on a multiple choice exam which I understand to be very difficult with alot of people having to resit. It costs in the region of $120.
I have researched the requirements to be a Plumber across Canada and you have to be registered for NS, ON,AB and BC and probably others but each different province has different requirements re Hours of experience etc. If you are still unsure after reading the link, call ITA direct and ask to speak to Doug Podetz. He has sent me invaluable information in the last couple of years.
HTH
Old Feb 25th 2012, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry, but it isn't. That link does not say anything about regulation of the trade, it's just about training for certification. Other provinces regulate this trade, BC does'nt. To save further argument, iv'e spoken to the Ita.BC on this matter before and that's what they told me too.
Old Feb 25th 2012, 3:12 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by parker14
Sorry, but it isn't. That link does not say anything about regulation of the trade, it's just about training for certification. Other provinces regulate this trade, BC does'nt. To save further argument, iv'e spoken to the Ita.BC on this matter before and that's what they told me too.
The link does say it is regulated, you just need to look.

A number of the tasks certified plumbers carry out are regulated regulated in BC Without certification a plumber would be severely limited to what they could do. Coming here as a plumber and not challenging the exam to get certified would put someone at a significant disadvantage to the local candidates who have the Red Seal endorsement. Getting a job would be hard enough, without a local qualification one would likely end up as a laborer.

Plumbers are on the list of regulated professions. http://www.aved.gov.bc.ca/labourmobi...Regulators.pdf

As it is the ITA who regulate plumbers it seems odd they would tell you it is not regulated If you are affected by this, you may want to double check with Jeff Nugent at the ITA.
Old Feb 25th 2012, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

Well I'm actually an electrician, but the same applies. I also have it in writing from the Ita.
Also see this link.http://www.workingincanada.gc.ca/rep...rea=25565&regi

Like I said earlier though, certification is desirable in order to gain employment, it's at the (quote from the Ita) "employers discretion" whether to employ you or not.

Last edited by parker14; Feb 25th 2012 at 3:56 pm.
Old Feb 25th 2012, 5:21 pm

Well I'm actually an electrician, but the same applies. I also have it in writing from the Ita.
Also see this link.http://www.workingincanada.gc.ca/rep...rea=25565&regi

Like I said earlier though, certification is desirable in order to gain employment, it's at the (quote from the Ita) "employers discretion" whether to employ you or not.
You have to be licensed to be an electrician in BC as well. Puzzles me why you would get a letter from ITA stating plumbers were not regulated, when you're an electrician

Compulsory certification for plumbers became mandatory for BC in January 1967 and for electricians July 1996.
Old Feb 25th 2012, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

Well I thought that too, but read this:

In response to your query. ITA does not regulate this trade. This means that if you are not certified it is up to your employer to decide whether he would like to hire you.

For this trade the Interprovincial exam is the final exam, and upon passing this exam you would be certified across Canada.

Depending on your prior experience in the trade, you may have the opportunity to challenge the trade. The trade you are looking to challenge will be found at http://www.itabc.ca/Page496.aspx . You will want to print the "Certification Challenge Application". Please ensure you have met the requirements to challenge this trade before you submit your application.

There are several important items to note when applying to challenge a trade certification:

1. There is a $120.00 fee to challenge the application. This is a one-time fee. It is non-refundable under any circumstances.

2. All employer declarations for work experience from outside of Canada must be accompanied by a letter on company letterhead from the employer. The letter should include the dates of employment, job title, a detailed summary of job duties and overall quality of work. It should be signed by an authorized representative of the employer.

3. Applications may be made to the ITA only by residents of British Columbia. As such, it is critical that when you submit your application you have a BC mailing address. In addition, once you are approved to write the exam, you MUST provide one of the following types of ID: British Columbia Identification Card, Canadian Driver's License, Canada/US Passport, Canadian Permanent Residency Card, or a Certificate of Indian Status (Canada). Candidates who are unable to produce one of the types of photo ID will not be permitted to write the exam.

4. If you are declaring self-employment, please complete Statutory Declarations Part 1 and Part 2. You must have this notarized. In addition, please provide a list of three individuals you have worked with (such as clients, employees, suppliers). Please provide their names and contact information.

5. We must be able to contact AT LEAST ONE employer. For any additional employers that you cannot get in contact with, you may complete the Statutory Declarations Part 1 and 2. These must be notarized.

6. You MUST pass and be certified within ONE YEAR of being approved to challenge. If the one year approval expires, you will be required to re-submit a new challenge application and pay the $120 assessment fee.

7. The passing grade for the exam is 70%. If you score less than 60% on your first attempt or are unsuccessful after two attempts, you will be required to demonstrate proof of upgrading for each attempt thereafter. We may require that you attend a course as proof of upgrading.

8. Your first two attempts at the exam are include in the $120.00 assessment fee, if you are approved to write. Your third attempt and all attempts thereafter are $100.00 each.

For study materials I recommend you find a local school that offers technical training for your trade, and talk to their school bookstore to see which books are offered for that course. Sometimes these schools will also offer an "IP refresher" course to help tradesworkers prepare for their certification exams. Find your trade in the BC and Red Seal trades list at http://www.itabc.ca/Page496.aspx and follow the 'Training Institutions' link.

It's also worthwhile to go to the Red Seal website and look at the National Occupational Analysis and Essential Skills Profile for your trade - www.red-seal.ca

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to contact us at 1 866-660-6011 or via e-mail at [email protected].

Regards,

ITA Customer Service
Tel: 1-866-660-6011
Fax: 778-328-8701
[email][email protected]

Now I'm going to listen to the Ita, who are the regulatory body for BC, before anyone on here. Also see the federal goverment link in my previous post. The rules the same for plumbers and electricians in BC.

Last edited by parker14; Feb 25th 2012 at 6:36 pm.
Old Feb 25th 2012, 6:59 pm

Now I'm going to listen to the Ita, who are the regulatory body for BC, before anyone on here.
Which I would advise anyone to do. I would also suggest they get any written confirmation signed by an individual rather than 'customer service'. The ITA have got it wrong before when answering general inquiries. From what you posted, this contradicts the information on the ITA website, so now who do you believe, a general letter or the ITA website?

The information you posted also does not state that mandatory certification is not required. An electrician cannot work as an electrician without certification in BC nor can a plumber. Makes no difference to me whether anyone comes with the belief they don't need certification or not, but I would certainly not take a letter without someones name on it as the definitive answer. The person at ITA who one should check with is Jeff Nugent.

Electricians and plumbers have to meet the BC codes and without certification there is no measurement as to whether they can do this. Without certification a plumber or electrician can only work under the supervision of a BC or Red Seal certified tradesman, they cannot sign off on the work.

Here's another, albeit older document http://www.coalitionbcbusiness.ca/pd...on_Johncox.pdf
Old Feb 25th 2012, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

I think this has been done to death now. Obviously I have spoken to them also. One thing is for sure, you won't find the answer on the web, too many contradictions and inaccurate postings etc. That's why I rang them as well.
I think we're getting off track here, I merely said it's not regulated, the Ita have told me verbally and written that it is'nt.
I'll leave it at that.
Old Feb 25th 2012, 7:36 pm

I think this has been done to death now. Obviously I have spoken to them also. One thing is for sure, you won't find the answer on the web, too many contradictions and inaccurate postings etc. That's why I rang them as well.
I think we're getting off track here, I merely said it's not regulated, the Ita have told me verbally and written that it is'nt.
I'll leave it at that.
I don't speak to them out of general interest, I sit on advisory committees with the ITA. Where you might be confused (and worse confusing others) is the difference between mandatory certification and regulated. Lawyers, accountants and physicians are both certified and regulated. Many trades have to be certified, but the regulatory mechanism in many trades is the local building code, so the regulatory body as such would be the local municipal or city requirements.

Regardless of how you interpreted what the ITA told you or on an internet forum, you will find this out when trying to get a job or work in a trade that has mandatory certification.

I am interested to know your interpretation of the letter the ITA sent you and what is posted on the ITA website (which is not a blog). There is a discrepancy there, so if you believe the ITA, you have to decide which bit you believe, the general letter or their website?

Last edited by Aviator; Feb 25th 2012 at 7:46 pm.
Old Feb 25th 2012, 8:54 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator

Electricians and plumbers have to meet the BC codes and without certification there is no measurement as to whether they can do this. Without certification a plumber or electrician can only work under the supervision of a BC or Red Seal certified tradesman, they cannot sign off on the work.
This is the key bit surely? You don't need to be certified to do the work an electrician or plumber does as long as you are supervised by someone with the appropriate certification. Some employer's choose to hire competent but uncertified people because they pay them less.
Old Feb 25th 2012, 9:03 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
I don't speak to them out of general interest, I sit on advisory committees with the ITA. Where you might be confused (and worse confusing others) is the difference between mandatory certification and regulated. Lawyers, accountants and physicians are both certified and regulated. Many trades have to be certified, but the regulatory mechanism in many trades is the local building code, so the regulatory body as such would be the local municipal or city requirements.
I agree with this too. I am regulated by CGA-BC who turn up every now and again and go through my files to satisfy themselves that I am upholding their minimum standards. The ITA do not do this with journeyman tradesmen (of either sex) so in that sense it is not a "regulated" trade. However, for all practical purposes, the certification and the requirement to meet minimum standards, it might as well be.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.