UK marrying in Canada

Old Jan 10th 2017, 5:14 pm
Just Joined

dillajn1n3 has a reputation beyond reputedillajn1n3 has a reputation beyond reputedillajn1n3 has a reputation beyond reputedillajn1n3 has a reputation beyond reputedillajn1n3 has a reputation beyond reputedillajn1n3 has a reputation beyond reputedillajn1n3 has a reputation beyond reputedillajn1n3 has a reputation beyond reputedillajn1n3 has a reputation beyond reputedillajn1n3 has a reputation beyond reputedillajn1n3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK marrying in Canada

Hi all,

I just want to ask if any Brits have married a Canadian partner in Canada?

If so, what documents do the Canadian High Commission suggest you (as a Brit) take when travelling?

And does anyone know what documents are needed at immigration/border? Are they quite annoyed that someone is coming into the country to marry (someone you've been in a relationship with for 4.5 years)?

Thanks
Old Jan 10th 2017, 5:51 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK marrying in Canada

I don't actually remember that much entering Canada for the early visits - aside from standing behind Donald Sutherland in the queue.

As far as I recall it was just visiting a friend and then when we decided to marry (to make it a whole lot easier for sponsorship) I may have changed visiting a friend to getting married. That I can't recall (2005) suggests it wasn't that important as I had a return ticket.

So documents would only have been passport and return ticket.

To marry, I had my passport and UK birth certificate. The official at the courthouse (where we married) said I should apply for a Quebec B/C, heaven knows why but I did.

I returned to the UK after that visit to work my notice, sell up etc and then returned telling the officer I was coming to visit my wife. I had the usual return ticket. That officer sent to 'secondary' if that's what it's called.

There I explained that we would be applying for sponsorship/PR on what was then an outland basis (supposed to be much quicker but the 6 months could be extended if necessary) and the guy couldn't understand why the first officer sent me over. He just made sure I knew I'd have to leave at the end of 6months if there was a refusal and on I went.

Length of relationship didn't come into it at that point. All that stuff was on the sponsorship/PR application.

Last edited by BristolUK; Jan 10th 2017 at 5:55 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2017, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

AshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond repute

Thirteen and a half years ago I did that... a British Citizen marrying a Canadian in Canada. I can't remember any hassle whatsoever, and me being me I would have blurted the whole lot out at the Immigration desk, but I had my return ticket to UK. My newlywed wife then moved to the UK, so we paid the money for all that to happen.... and now guess what.... we are paying the money for me to go the other way now!!! My fiance sorted the marriage license without me being there, so not sure what all info she needed to get sorted, but I turned up for the day and we all live happy ever after, even two kids thrown into the deal now.
Old Jan 14th 2017, 10:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dillajn1n3
Hi all,

If so, what documents do the Canadian High Commission suggest you (as a Brit) take when travelling?

And does anyone know what documents are needed at immigration/border? Are they quite annoyed that someone is coming into the country to marry (someone you've been in a relationship with for 4.5 years)?

Thanks
We get very annoyed at foreigners coming to marry Canadians in Canada as we all think its a big scam.
CBSA don't ask for any documents regarding the marriage they are more concerned if you will leave after the visit unless within the first 6 months a spousal sponsorship application has been submitted if intending to stay in Canada.
Check with the local authority what is required by them i.e the Province/City you are getting married in.
Old Jan 15th 2017, 12:16 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
We get very annoyed at foreigners coming to marry Canadians in Canada as we all think its a big scam.
CBSA don't ask for any documents regarding the marriage they are more concerned if you will leave after the visit unless within the first 6 months a spousal sponsorship application has been submitted if intending to stay in Canada.
Check with the local authority what is required by them i.e the Province/City you are getting married in.

1. Should also note the extra hoops to jump through if you are divorced and intending to marry in Ontario https://www.ontario.ca/page/getting-married#section-2 See out of Canada divorce section.
Old Jan 15th 2017, 2:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dillajn1n3
Hi all,

Thanks
Which province are you intending to marry in? They each have (slightly) different documentary requirements, and the CHC is unlikely to furnish info.

Otherwise, see above posts, especially FL & PMM.