UK-Canada spousal spons.

Old Sep 9th 2016, 7:43 am
Just Joined

natcat7000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK-Canada spousal spons.

Hi there,

I am Canadian and am in process of sponsoring my British husband plus our two young boys (both born in the UK).

Our application has been received, my sponsorship app has been approved and the pr app bit has been forwarded to London for further processing.

We want to fly to Canada in October. We want to save money where possible when buying our tickets. Buying me a single ticket will save some taxes etc. We obviously have to buy a return ticket for my husband as he will be flying as a visitor (while we wait for his papers to go through).

My question is whether we can buy single tickets for our two boys?

Background: I was born in UK to British dad and Canadian mum. Then moved to Canada aged 3 and raised there. My mum applied for my Canadian citizenship in 1985. So as I understand it, I am not a 'true Canadian' (ie able to confer my Canadian citizenship automatically onto my children).

However, when we paid our fees for me to sponsor my family, we had a partial refund of fees, possibly for the two boys applications? We are not sure.

Does anyone out there have any experience with this? Website does not address this, can't email them and can't phone them as we are outside Canada. My folks had a go from in Canada and couldn't get a real person to ask.

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 9th 2016, 9:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK-Canada spousal spons.

Read this link to see if your kids are Canadian citizens
See if you may be a citizen
you were born outside Canada and at least one of your parents was naturalized in Canada before your birth, or

Return tickets are not a necessity as your application has been submitted and you have been approved and he is waiting a decision. Bring proof of this if asked.
Request 12 month visitor records on landing. Don't forget a list of any goods to follow.
Old Sep 9th 2016, 1:28 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm, I'd disagree on the ticket thing, FL.

The border agents might not have any issues with the kiddos flying on one-way tickets, but I'd bet the airline will. The airlines generally don't like to board anyone on a one-way ticket who isn't a Canadian unless they can show proof that they'll be allowed to enter Canada. I don't know if the agents will be less strict because it's unlikely the kiddos would be turned away, but is it worth risking it?

Do you have plans to go back to the UK for a visit? If so, book the "return" leg to be the outbound leg of that trip, the book your flight back as a one-way, at which point you should have all your Canadian paperwork for your husband and the kiddos in order.

BTW, there's a spreadsheet in my signature that tracks processing time for family class apps, if you haven't already found it. It's grat to get as much data as possible on that spreasheet. Would you mind posting your dates and info to be added (it's obvious from looking at the spreadsheet what we need!) and then keeping us up to date with your progress? No worries if not!
Old Sep 9th 2016, 4:52 pm
Just Joined

natcat7000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you to both of you for taking the time to respond. When I applied, I was certain I couldn't automatically grant Canadian citizenship to my boys. I wonder has anything changed recently regarding their approach to this or did I just manage to get my wires crossed?

PS SchnookoLoly, I'm on the spreadsheet. As we've been sent via London office, I am determined to not obsessively check other people's status. Watching the Ottawa applications get processed so quickly is not good for morale

But I think it is a fantastic tool. All of the info on the forums has been invaluable. We would be a bit lost without it as we've been finding Canadian Immigration website a bit difficult to navigate.