Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Travel for a PR across Provinces...

Travel for a PR across Provinces...

Old Dec 24th 2006, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

LadyTyger will become famous soon enough
Default Travel for a PR across Provinces...

Can anyone tell me if I can travel to Ontario from Alberta without the use of my passport but just my PR card??

I will have to locate it soon if need be...just can't find it at the mo'

TIA
Old Dec 24th 2006, 7:32 pm
I'm a girl, dagnabbit! :)

Wannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud of
Default Re: Travel for a PR across Provinces...

Ummmm... Did you have to use your passport to travel between counties/provinces/states in whatever country you're from?

Originally Posted by LadyTyger
Can anyone tell me if I can travel to Ontario from Alberta without the use of my passport but just my PR card??

TIA
Old Dec 24th 2006, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

LadyTyger will become famous soon enough

Thanks Wannabe

I just found my elusive passport!

From London, Eng and know that I needed both for my travel there in the summer.

Merry Christmas and happy new year to you and yours!!
Old Dec 24th 2006, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

snowgoose is a name known to allsnowgoose is a name known to allsnowgoose is a name known to allsnowgoose is a name known to allsnowgoose is a name known to allsnowgoose is a name known to allsnowgoose is a name known to allsnowgoose is a name known to allsnowgoose is a name known to allsnowgoose is a name known to allsnowgoose is a name known to all

Originally Posted by LadyTyger

TIA
For future ref: you don't need a passport to travel between provinces - it's all the same country! Happy travels
Old Dec 28th 2006, 3:55 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowgoose
For future ref: you don't need a passport to travel between provinces - it's all the same country! Happy travels
All true, however for travel by airline, photo-ID is required. A PR Card will do nicely for that.

And it's often worth bringing your passport anyway, in case you want to take a side-trip into the US at short notice (or if flight back is disrupted and airline offers you an alternative routing from a nearby US airport).
Old Dec 30th 2006, 2:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowgoose
- it's all the same country! Happy travels
Not according to Quebec. lol
Old Dec 30th 2006, 2:33 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dakota44
Not according to Quebec.
What on earth do you mean by that? Quebec is as much a part of Canada as any other province. (if they really wanted to leave Canada they would have done so long ago)
Old Dec 30th 2006, 5:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
What on earth do you mean by that? Quebec is as much a part of Canada as any other province. (if they really wanted to leave Canada they would have done so long ago)

OK..lert me rephrase..not according to SOME QUEBECERS. Face up to it, they have been holding separation over Canadas head for decades. The vote for separation, as you recall, maybe, came a hair from passing. And recently the PM declared them a nation within Canada..talk about sucking up. They are the only Province to my knowledge that does not live up to the bilingual policies of Canada, i.e: The Language Police etc. They control their own immigration, independent from Canadian immigration policy. I could go on and on, but I won't. So Yes...I mean that in the minds of many Quebecers, they are not really part of this country.
Old Dec 31st 2006, 2:52 am
JAJ
Retired

They are the only Province to my knowledge that does not live up to the bilingual policies of Canada,
New Brunswick is the only officially bilingual province.
Old Dec 31st 2006, 4:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by JAJ
New Brunswick is the only officially bilingual province.
Ontario might disagree with you on that. Official or not, since all government services are provided in either language, and in the courts you are entitled to a paid interpretor if you are French. Among other things.. But, as to your post, Manitoba is officially bilingual as well.

Not to mention that the COUNTRY is bilingual.

Last edited by dakota44; Dec 31st 2006 at 4:15 am.
Old Dec 31st 2006, 4:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Manitoba is officially bilingual as well.
Do you have a link? I haven't come across this before.
Old Dec 31st 2006, 9:46 am
JAJ
Retired

Ontario might disagree with you on that. Official or not, since all government services are provided in either language, and in the courts you are entitled to a paid interpretor if you are French.
And Quebec does provide many government services in English as well as French. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bilingualism_in_Canada

Not to mention that the COUNTRY is bilingual.
At federal level, yes. But that does not mean that every provincial and municipal government throughout Canada is fully bilingual.

Switzerland is another case where a federal multilingual policy does not mean that every canton is multilingual (most are single language, with a few being bilingual).
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 3:18 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

But, as to your post, Manitoba is officially bilingual as well.
No, its not, not on an official government level like NB is, where every document and government agancy must operate in both languages by law.