Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Is there anything I can do, to avoid "RQ" while submitting the Citizenship Appl.?

Is there anything I can do, to avoid "RQ" while submitting the Citizenship Appl.?

Old Feb 23rd 2011, 8:37 am
Just Joined

ksiv is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is there anything I can do, to avoid "RQ" while submitting the Citizenship Appl.?

Note: You may have read this post few days earlier. It was my first post and I guess made it unreadable by making it too long by trying to ask all my queries at once. As suggested by senior members here, I am creating smaller threads. My old post has been deleted to avoid duplicate posts. Thanks for taking time to read again and expecting your inputs.
================================================== =======
Hi,

Brief snapshot of my Permanent residence in Canada before jumping on to my query:-

Landed as PR on Aug 24, 2007 from US via road @Douglas border point. Stayed at friend’s place for two days. Applied for PR card. Returned to US via road on Aug 26, 2007. As I had valid I-94, no entry was made in passport by US border service when re-entered US on Aug 26.

Stayed and worked in US on H1B visa till end of Dec 2007.

Received PR card from friend in Canada. Returned to live permanently in Canada via road @blaine border point on Dec 31, 2007 . As I had PR card, no entry was made in passport to indicate the date on which I came in to Canada for good. However, as I was importing my car from US, I have documents issued by CBSA dated Dec 31, 2007.

Lived at friend’s basement while looking for work (no rental contract) till the middle of April 2008 and moved to my own apartment since April 2008. Have lot of documents to prove my stay starting Jan 2008 – bank records, BC Driver License, RV documents for car imported from US etc and rental contract, work documents starting Apr 2008 to to-date.

During my Canadian residence, have visited US 2 times via road within the allowed I-94 "6 months' period and hence no exit (from Canada) and entry (to Canada) stamps for these 2 trips in the passport. Have mentioned these out of Canada stays in the 1095 days calculation online. However, worried that when I go for test, as these entry/exits will not show as stamps in the passport [Including the key entry date of Dec 31, 2007 my start date for living in Canada permanently], if I will be issued Residency Questionnaire (RQ)?

Per reading from threads on RQ, gather that any discrepancy between Passport and out-of-Canada details filled in the online residency calculator, might trigger "RQ". Considering my details above,

a. Is there anything I can do while submitting the Citizenship application (adding additional documents?) or while appearing for the test with the relevant documents to avoid RQ?
b. Does CIC entertain viewing non-passport documents as proof of stay in Canada while appearing for Citizenship test? (For eg.. CBSA document - detailed below)

PS: i) Have applied for Traveler History under Privacy act with CBSA to get my entry dates/details to Canada. Hope this will at least address entry portion of the trip, though it looks like it can take close to a month or so. Sent this request via FAX and waiting for the response by Canada post. Details pertaining to requesting info. under "Privacy Act" is
available @ http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/agency-ag...-priv-eng.html

ii)Looking at US CBP, it may not possible to get entry to US details for border crossing via Road. So, still cannot prove exit dates for 2 of my road trips to US. Are there any other options to look at?

Please suggest if there are other options that might help in avoiding RQ (or) worst case, being prepared for RQ. Thanks very much.