Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Temporary work permit - waiting for PR

Temporary work permit - waiting for PR

Old Nov 19th 2017, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

hopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of light
Default Temporary work permit - waiting for PR

Hello expats!

You guys have always been so helpful with my visa questions so I'm just posting one here for my cousin. She is a Brit living in Canada with her Canadian spouse and is currently waiting for her PR to come through, which she applied for in January. As part of her PR application she has been granted a temporary work permit so that she can work until the real thing comes through.

She would really like to come back to the UK for Christmas but she is very worried that she is not allowed to travel while on this temporary permit. Apparently, at the bottom of the visa it says 'NO REMITTANCE VISA' which she thinks means she can't re-enter once she's left, but I think surely this must instead relate to something financial about the visa?

I went straight from an IEC visa to PR so I don't have any understanding of the work permit - if anyone has any experience/knowledge they can share that would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Nov 19th 2017, 8:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Temporary work permit - waiting for PR

She can travel on the WP it just means she cant use the WP as a travel document on its own. Does she have a valid eTA for travelling back to Canada? Depending when the WP was issued its possible that eTA was also issued.
Old Nov 19th 2017, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

hopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks Former Lancastrian! I think she probably does have an eTA as she would have needed one when she initially entered Canada, as a visitor, last year.

So, essentially as long as she has the eTA and her passport/work permit with her, there shouldn't be any problems?

I didn't mention before but her immigration lawyer has advised her it would be risky to travel. I didn't think it would be so just wanted to check here.
Old Nov 19th 2017, 9:01 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hopeintoronto
Thanks Former Lancastrian! I think she probably does have an eTA as she would have needed one when she initially entered Canada, as a visitor, last year.

So, essentially as long as she has the eTA and her passport/work permit with her, there shouldn't be any problems?

I didn't mention before but her immigration lawyer has advised her it would be risky to travel. I didn't think it would be so just wanted to check here.
She can check her Eta status online, to ensure it's still valid.

https://onlineservices-servicesenlig...nQuery?lang=en

I think her Immigration lawyer probably is suggesting she doesn't travel because she is an Inland Spousal applicant, should she be refused entry her application would then be invalid (as she has to be 'in country' in order for it to be finalised). She should check this info if she is worried. Can I leave Canada while IRCC processes my application for permanent residence?
Can I leave Canada while IRCC processes my application for permanent residence?

Yes. However, if you leave Canada while your application is being processed, you must meet all the admissibility rules before being allowed back into Canada.

If you leave Canada and want to return, you must have all the required documents to enter. This can include:

a valid passport or other travel documents,
a valid work permit or study permit, if you need one, and
a valid visitor visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA), if you need one.

If you are unable to return to Canada, we could determine that you abandoned your application. In that case, we will not process it.

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 19th 2017 at 9:14 pm.
Old Nov 19th 2017, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Siouxie
She can check her Eta status online, to ensure it's still valid.

https://onlineservices-servicesenlig...nQuery?lang=en

I think her Immigration lawyer probably is suggesting she doesn't travel because she is an Inland Spousal applicant, should she be refused entry her application would then be invalid (as she has to be 'in country' in order for it to be finalised). She should check this info if she is worried. Can I leave Canada while IRCC processes my application for permanent residence?
Can I leave Canada while IRCC processes my application for permanent residence?

Yes. However, if you leave Canada while your application is being processed, you must meet all the admissibility rules before being allowed back into Canada.

If you leave Canada and want to return, you must have all the required documents to enter. This can include:

a valid passport or other travel documents,
a valid work permit or study permit, if you need one, and
a valid visitor visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA), if you need one.

If you are unable to return to Canada, we could determine that you abandoned your application. In that case, we will not process it.
Thanks so much Siouxie - that is really helpful!! And it makes much more sense now.
Old Nov 19th 2017, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with the immigration lawyer because part of the requirements of the Spouse/Common Law Partner in Class is living in Canada with the Spouse/CLP. Sure, you may be okay and reenter Canada without issue, but if you're not ...(and no one on this forum or elsewhere can guarantee reentry) well, it's your risk to take.