Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Which temporary visa required after IEC and awaiting PR decision

Which temporary visa required after IEC and awaiting PR decision

Old Sep 19th 2017, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

monkeyspanner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Which temporary visa required after IEC and awaiting PR decision

Hello everyone,

Could you help me out again please?

My daughter is on an IEC which expires in November. I have read there is a possibility of a change to her current visa status which would allow her to remain in Canada whilst she completes and submits her ITA and hopefully her PR application is processed. This change to her existing visa would be conditional on that she does not work and can demonstrate she has proof of funds to be self supporting.

I'm confused and unsure which one she would need to apply for from INSIDE Canada as Guide 5551 appears to contradict itself with Visitor Visa and Temporary Resident Visa appearing to be interchangeable terms. Should she complete IMM 5708?

Thank you all again for any help you can offer.
Old Sep 19th 2017, 4:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which temporary visa required after IEC and awaiting PR decision

Originally Posted by monkeyspanner
Hello everyone,

Could you help me out again please?

My daughter is on an IEC which expires in November. I have read there is a possibility of a change to her current visa status which would allow her to remain in Canada whilst she completes and submits her ITA and hopefully her PR application is processed. This change to her existing visa would be conditional on that she does not work and can demonstrate she has proof of funds to be self supporting.

I'm confused and unsure which one she would need to apply for from INSIDE Canada as Guide 5551 appears to contradict itself with Visitor Visa and Temporary Resident Visa appearing to be interchangeable terms. Should she complete IMM 5708?

Thank you all again for any help you can offer.
She should complete the Come to Canada tool, and this will tell her which forms to fill in and what documents she needs to submit.
Old Sep 19th 2017, 4:48 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

She can apply to change to visitor status.

Application to Change Conditions or Extend Your Stay in Canada as a Visitor

I've been told she may also be able to apply for a BOWP.. worth checking.

Last edited by Siouxie; Sep 20th 2017 at 1:52 pm.
Old Sep 20th 2017, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for your replies, it is very much appreciated.

Siouxie - It is my understanding that she won't be able to apply for a BoWP until she has submitted her ITA and that won't be happening for a while yet.

We are trying to get all our ducks in a row and plan for most (known) eventualities which is difficult to do. We assume that if she is granted the Visitor's visa and gets her ITA submitted and MEC is passed then she will investigate getting a BoWP so that she can recommence work asap.

Thanks again
Old Sep 20th 2017, 4:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by monkeyspanner
Thanks for your replies, it is very much appreciated.

Siouxie - It is my understanding that she won't be able to apply for a BoWP until she has submitted her ITA and that won't be happening for a while yet.

We are trying to get all our ducks in a row and plan for most (known) eventualities which is difficult to do. We assume that if she is granted the Visitor's visa and gets her ITA submitted and MEC is passed then she will investigate getting a BoWP so that she can recommence work asap.

Thanks again
That won't be possible, you can only apply for BOWP if you hold a work permit that hasn't expired.
Old Sep 20th 2017, 5:57 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

International Mobility Program: Provincial nominees and permanent residence applications – Bridging open work permits for certain federal economic class applicants
Extend your work permit – Bridging open work permit
Old Sep 21st 2017, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for your reply. With regard to the BOWP if we assume that she is able to submit her e_APR prior to the end of her IEC visa and has received the electronic AOR she can apply for a BOWP prior to IEC expiring.
It seems that the BOWP application is then held until the completeness check is done on the e_APR. Do you know, If her IEC visa expires prior to the e-APR completeness check being done would the BOWP application still proceed after being held for the completeness check.