Temp Work Visa and PR

Old Apr 22nd 2018, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

Awain has a reputation beyond reputeAwain has a reputation beyond reputeAwain has a reputation beyond reputeAwain has a reputation beyond reputeAwain has a reputation beyond reputeAwain has a reputation beyond reputeAwain has a reputation beyond reputeAwain has a reputation beyond reputeAwain has a reputation beyond reputeAwain has a reputation beyond reputeAwain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Temp Work Visa and PR

An employer has offered me three options to move to Toronto; Temp Work Visa, a job offer to add to my PR application or start in London and transfer. As we want to move to Canada ASAP I have asked them to explore the Temp Work Visa option as even with a job offer we are reliant on being selected from the pool of EE applicants. I was wondering though, can I ask the employer for a Temp Work Visa and a permanent job offer for my EE application?

My plan currently is to take the Temp Work Visa and then reapply for PR once I've been living and working in Canada for a while.
Old Apr 23rd 2018, 9:42 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Temp Work Visa and PR

Yes, absolutely.

You mention wanting to move asap, but if the employer is prepared to wait for you (which it sounds as though they are), then you might want to look in to a LMIA to support a PR application. It would mean that the employer wouldn't have to pay $1000 (it's free, unlike a normal LMIA to get a TWP), and although you couldn't go over on a work permit, it would mean that when you do go, you go with PR which would be much more secure.

Just another option to throw in to the mix!

Good luck and congrats on the job offer.
Old Apr 23rd 2018, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

Awain has a reputation beyond reputeAwain has a reputation beyond reputeAwain has a reputation beyond reputeAwain has a reputation beyond reputeAwain has a reputation beyond reputeAwain has a reputation beyond reputeAwain has a reputation beyond reputeAwain has a reputation beyond reputeAwain has a reputation beyond reputeAwain has a reputation beyond reputeAwain has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks christmasoompa.

My preference would be to move with PR, but my concern with taking that route is that I'm still reliant on getting enough points. At the moment I have 403 points, with a job offer I would have 453. This may be enough based on recent levels for invitation, but I would still be waiting for CIC to pull me from the pool. Unless a job offer whizzes me to the top of the pile?

My plan is to go over on TWP, get the extra points for having lived/worked in Canada and reapply for PR once those points are applied to my application. At least with TWP I will have a set timeline etc. The employer is happy for me to start in London and then move when I'm ready.
Old Apr 23rd 2018, 10:32 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Awain
My preference would be to move with PR, but my concern with taking that route is that I'm still reliant on getting enough points. At the moment I have 403 points, with a job offer I would have 453. This may be enough based on recent levels for invitation, but I would still be waiting for CIC to pull me from the pool. Unless a job offer whizzes me to the top of the pile?
No, it's purely points based, just those scoring the highest are selected. At 453 you'd probably get an ITA reasonably quickly, but note that just a job offer isn't enough to get those points, you need a LMIA/TWP as well. So if you want to go with PR, you'll need the aforementioned LMIA for PR apps. Or you could get a 'normal' LMIA and TWP, go over and then apply for PR once there working.

My plan is to go over on TWP, get the extra points for having lived/worked in Canada and reapply for PR once those points are applied to my application.
Makes sense, as long as you wouldn't lose too many points for anything else i.e. age.

The employer is happy for me to start in London and then move when I'm ready.
That makes sense too, although wouldn't qualify you for an intra-company TWP unless you spent a year working there first (and were in one of the three categories for it), so you'd still need the LMIA/TWP to go over sooner rather than later.

Looks like you've got lots of options which is great, you've just got to work out which one now! Good luck.
Old Apr 23rd 2018, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

Sorry, I've just re-read your post. I misunderstood initially.

So the employer does an LMIA to support my PR application, which means I move with PR instead of TWP. Does this mean I'm not reliant on the points system? You've answered that in your subsequent post.

They've told me they have to do an LMIA for the TWP.

Last edited by Awain; Apr 23rd 2018 at 10:35 am.
Old Apr 23rd 2018, 10:36 am
SUPER MODERATOR

So the employer does an LMIA to support my PR application, which means I move with PR instead of TWP. Does this mean I'm not reliant on the points system?
Nope, it's still the same system. The big advantage for them is that it saves them the $1000 fee, and for you the advantage is that you go with PR rather than on the more risky status of a TWP. I don't know if you have a family or not? If you do, then going with PR may be far preferable.
Old Apr 23rd 2018, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

Thanks.
We want to move quickly, but I think going with PR would be better in the long run.
Old Apr 23rd 2018, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

christmasoompa - would an LMIA supported job offer be classified as arranged employment on the CRS? So it's an extra 200 points?
Old Apr 23rd 2018, 11:09 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa - would an LMIA supported job offer be classified as arranged employment on the CRS? So it's an extra 200 points?
If it's one of the eligible NOC codes then yes (beginning with 00). All other NOCs are worth 50 points. So it depends what the job is.
Old Apr 23rd 2018, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

Looks like a 01, so 50 points for the likes of me
Old Apr 23rd 2018, 6:32 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Looks like a 01, so 50 points for the likes of me
1, It appears from your original post that you are not employed by the parent company as yet? If so you would not be eligible for an Intra Company Transfer work permit as you have to have worked for the company for at least 1 year in the previous 3.