Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Standard Photo Size vs Canada Requirments

Standard Photo Size vs Canada Requirments

Old Oct 14th 2017, 8:16 am
BE Enthusiast

KenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really nice
Default Standard Photo Size vs Canada Requirments

Hi
I just got an email from Canada ask me to submit my passport copy and a photo of each of family members.

The post office here in Australia print photos for standard Australian passport size (i think 35mm x 45mm)

but what canada wants is 50mm x 70mm which cant be provided by the post office.

Strangly, the dimensions canada asked for the electronic photo when submitted the application was 840p x 1080p which match the standard australian passport ratio 1.28571 but the 50mm x 70mm ratio is 1.4 !!!!

Am I getting that right?!! or I misunderstood the photo requirment.

the options that I have.

1- Take photo by myself and try to print it in one of the photo services in the super markets

2- Keep looking for some photographer who provide this size of photos.

3- Send australian standard passport size

4- Any other options?!

Thanks

Last edited by KenA; Oct 14th 2017 at 8:24 am.
Old Oct 14th 2017, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Standard Photo Size vs Canada Requirments

Originally Posted by KenA
Hi
I just got an email from Canada ask me to submit my passport copy and a photo of each of family members.

The post office here in Australia print photos for standard Australian passport size (i think 35mm x 45mm)

but what canada wants is 50mm x 70mm which cant be provided by the post office.

Strangly, the dimensions canada asked for the electronic photo when submitted the application was 840p x 1080p which match the standard australian passport ratio 1.28571 but the 50mm x 70mm ratio is 1.4 !!!!

Am I getting that right?!! or I misunderstood the photo requirment.

the options that I have.

1- Take photo by myself and try to print it in one of the photo services in the super markets

2- Keep looking for some photographer who provide this size of photos.

3- Send australian standard passport size

4- Any other options?!

Thanks
Are you sure that CIC did not send you a link as regards the precise spec of the photos required? There is a lot more to it than just 50 x 70 and if you do not comply with precisely what they want, they will reject and you will have wasted a few weeks.

They must be taken by a professional photographer with two photos per person and the back of one photo must be stamped by the photographer who must then write a specific set or wording saying it is a true likeness of..... etc.

The photo specs are here:

Citizenship application photograph specifications

Be careful if you Google, coz the CIC specs changed to this (50 x 70) about 12 - 18 months ago and it is still possible to find links to the OLD photo spec which was for a smaller size.

Any professional photographer will be able to do this, just hand them the specification. My photographer in the UK was perfectly fine about it and was used to different countries having different specifications.

I would guess (and it is only a personal guess) that the reason for the increase in size of photograph is to allow a more precise set of facial biometrics to be taken from the photos.
Old Oct 14th 2017, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

Will_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond repute

Yes when they print it out they have guidelines built into the software to show size of your head required. It's not just size of the piece of paper. Definitely search for a visa photographer.
Old Oct 14th 2017, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

KenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really nice

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...f/5445EB-e.pdf

I will search for a photographer who does these kind of photos

Last edited by KenA; Oct 14th 2017 at 2:38 pm.
Old Oct 14th 2017, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KenA

I will search for a photographer who does these kind of photos
You really should not need to search. Any photographer who does portraits (all of them?) will be able to do these, all they need is the printed, detailed specification.
Old Oct 14th 2017, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

You go to ONLY a commercial photographer. You give them the PR photo spec which you have printed out. You reinforce that the photos MUST be to that spec. End of. You MEASURE the photos BEFORE you leave the studio. If they are incorrect, you INSIST that they provide you with photos that are the correct specification whatever they say.

Last edited by Snowy560; Oct 14th 2017 at 7:05 pm.
Old Oct 14th 2017, 7:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Snowy560
You go to ONLY a commercial photographer. You give them the PR photo spec which you have printed out. You reinforce that the photos MUST be to that spec. End of. You MEASURE the photos BEFORE you leave the studio. If they are incorrect, you INSIST that they provide you with photos that are the correct specification whatever they say.
Yep!
Old Oct 14th 2017, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
Yep!
I know you know this!
Old Oct 14th 2017, 9:54 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
They must be taken by a professional photographer
I have not read that the photographer must be a professional. the requirement is: "Provide the name of the photographer or the studio, the studio address and the date the photos were taken on the back of the photos"

I interpret this to mean that anyone can take the photograph, the 'studio address' I interpret as the location where the photograph was taken. I have only ever taken my own digital images for all passports and official documents both for UK and Canada and all have been accepted, none have been rejected except on the one occasion when CIC changed the size specification after the photos had been sent and before they were processed.
Old Oct 14th 2017, 10:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

It explicitly says on the photo spec that the photos must be taken by a commercial photographer.

Last edited by Snowy560; Oct 14th 2017 at 10:03 pm.
Old Oct 14th 2017, 10:03 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

It explicitly says on the photo spec that the photos must be taken by a commercial photographer.
Unable to locate it, can you send me the link please.
Old Oct 14th 2017, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

You should be able to locate it via Google:

Permanent resident photos

Old Oct 14th 2017, 10:13 pm
Listen to the Music

Yeas I have seen this, but this specification is for PR applications. The CIC spec for citizenship applications does not include the explicit requirement that the photo be taken by a commercial photographer.
Citizenship application photograph specifications

Last edited by dave_j; Oct 14th 2017 at 10:18 pm.
Old Oct 14th 2017, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ken's application is for Permanent Residence.
Old Oct 14th 2017, 10:26 pm
Listen to the Music

Ken's application is for Permanent Residence.
My apologies, I'm all wrapped up with citizenship at the moment. Guess my head got itself unscrewed. Apologies Ken.. guess you need to take it to a commercial guy....

Well done Snowy.... and you were so nice about putting me right.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.