spouse visa confused

Old Feb 7th 2018, 5:29 pm
Just Joined

gibby225 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default spouse visa confused

hi.....have been in Canada since September 25 2017....married my Canadian gf 27th January 2018 .....maybe we both dumb but we both find the immigration website totally goes over our heads....... need someone to advise what forms to dl.....we are in a small town in NB and nowhere available to get advice....any help be great thanks.....I am in Canada under a tourist visa at the moment that runs out mid march

Last edited by gibby225; Feb 7th 2018 at 5:32 pm.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: spouse visa confused

Originally Posted by gibby225
hi.....have been in Canada since September 25 2017....married my Canadian gf 27th January 2018 .....maybe we both dumb but we both find the immigration website totally goes over our heads....... need someone to advise what forms to dl.....we are in a small town in NB and nowhere available to get advice....any help be great thanks.....I am in Canada under a tourist visa at the moment that runs out mid march
There is a wiki article on this website. You can refer to this in conjunction with the 'official' CIC website, which actually has a pretty good checklist and guide.

Spousal Sponsorship-Canada/FAQ - New Application Forms : British Expat Wiki

You can either do it all yourself (many people do) or engage an immigration consultant who will charge you $2 - 4 k and they will hold your hand and send you all the forms to complete and check them for you. Also plenty of help available here if you ask specific questions.

Your call.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 9:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Also don't forget to extend your stay under visitor status if you wish to remain in Canada. Being married doesn't give you the automatic right to stay.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...tend-stay.html
Old Feb 11th 2018, 5:54 pm
Just Joined

gibby225 is an unknown quantity at this point

yes I am filling out a IMM5708 form online and even finding that step confusing....page 2.....bottom.....coming to Canada.....it asks date and place of my original entry to Canada....and then most recent entry to Canada and place do I put a 2 week holiday in 2016 and the airport I landed at and then my 6mth stay next and the airport I landed at?
Old Feb 11th 2018, 6:10 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

A very well respected long term member of BE, who recently disengaged from the board, had "three rules" which will stand you in good stead for completing the forms:

1) Take each question at face value;
2) Do not ascribe any meaning to the question beyond that which is plainly written; and
3) Do not try to alter the question to fit your circumstances.

While these rules were posted most often in the US forum, they will stand you in good stead for Canada too. And yes, you might end up giving the same information in response to different questions, and indeed some of the questions may appear daft, or to be requesting useless information - don't worry about it, just answer the questions as written, rather than giving the information that you think the questions are asking for.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 11th 2018 at 6:13 pm.