Spouse applying for PR

Old May 13th 2012, 3:26 am
Forum Regular

richard.pattern is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spouse applying for PR

My wife has not applied for PR yet although I have it and I plan to move to Canada sometime within the next few months. My wife is also expecting and she will not move to Canada until she has delivered. Can someone please advice me on the following

1. When should my wife apply for PR is it now or after the baby is born?

2. Once the baby is born what process do I have to follow?
Old May 13th 2012, 7:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spouse applying for PR

In which case, you'd probably be best waiting until the baby arrives and then sponsoring them both - although obviously that could mean being apart from the for the 6 months or so until they get PR, so may not be ideal as no doubt you'll want to be with your child.

You could sponsor your wife now, but then you'd need to sponsor the baby as well when s/he arrives, so it's two separate applications.

Good luck whatever you decide.
Old May 13th 2012, 8:46 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

One question I have is were you actually landed in Canada ? as a PR before you married and fathered a child? You would have to be settled in Canada to sponsor them if you were landed already but are in big trouble if you have not yet landed.
Old May 13th 2012, 9:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
One question I have is were you actually landed in Canada ? as a PR before you married and fathered a child? You would have to be settled in Canada to sponsor them if you were landed already but are in big trouble if you have not yet landed.
I thought the same Jim, but on checking the OP's previous posts it appeared he landed and then got married a couple of weeks later.

Old May 14th 2012, 1:48 am
Forum Regular

richard.pattern is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I thought the same Jim, but on checking the OP's previous posts it appeared he landed and then got married a couple of weeks later.

Correct, I landed in Canada, came back and then got married.
Old May 14th 2012, 3:49 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

If your wife is from a visa exempt country you may be able to take her here and sponsor her within Canada. It will be necessary for you to be physically settled in Canada to sponsor her. Medical care would be at your expense. The alternative is that you come to Canada, settle and then sponsor her and probably your child at the same time since it will not be a Canadian citizen.