Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Spousal Sponsorship: Factors expediting a PR application?

Spousal Sponsorship: Factors expediting a PR application?

Old Jun 13th 2008, 9:44 pm
Just Joined

simiain is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spousal Sponsorship: Factors expediting a PR application?

Hallo there everyone, first time poster calling in. I'll be back here a fair amount as I've begun the process of being sponsored by my wife for permanent residence in the gigantic country of Canada.

I was curious about one thing; What factors might expedite an application for PR. My wife and I were quite thorough in our application. We sent everything (all forms, medical, photographs, proof of relationship) at the same time and paid the full amount online.

Mississauga OK'ed us 4 weeks later and London have been processing since May 15th.

Is sending everything off straight away and paying the full amount online going to make any difference to the overall timeline?

I'm tentatively hoping for a mid-august resolution, does that sound reasonable?

Many thanks in advance, and I look forward to becoming part of this exclusive wee club!
Old Jun 13th 2008, 10:15 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spousal Sponsorship: Factors expediting a PR application?

Hello, simiain, and welcome to the BE forum.

Originally Posted by simiain
Is sending everything off straight away and paying the full amount online going to make any difference to the overall timeline?
Well, yes and no. Yes, it means you followed instructions and didn't screw up. And, no, you don't get any special consideration for following instructions and not screwing up.

Yes, that sounds reasonable to me, although it could go another month to, say, mid September.

The shortest time that I remember witnessing for a permanent residence visa via the spousal sponsorship route during my 3+ years on this forum was 2 months, and the longest was over a year (but it was a case that involved complications).

Usually you can expect it to take 3 - 6 months (I mean the whole thing, from start to finish).

If you're a British citizen, you can of course accompany your wife to Canada as a visitor initially. You may not consider that to be ideal, as you wouldn't be allowed to work until you got PR, but in a pinch it can be done.
x
Old Jun 13th 2008, 11:35 pm
rolling uphill

edsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud of

Judy, as always, a font of good advice.

I'm in the situation Judy mentioned. I'm living with my wife, having submitted my application in late May and living in Canada since April. It's tough not being able to work, but you can get through it.

I'm just hoping the 3-6 months average works out in my case, because we want to spend with my parents in France.
Old Jun 14th 2008, 5:32 am
Forum Regular

jennybroon is just really nicejennybroon is just really nicejennybroon is just really nicejennybroon is just really nicejennybroon is just really nicejennybroon is just really nicejennybroon is just really nicejennybroon is just really nicejennybroon is just really nicejennybroon is just really nicejennybroon is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: Spousal Sponsorship: Factors expediting a PR application?

Hiya! You're about a month behind me - CHC London started processing my husband's PR application mid-April and we received his passport request 5th of June. We had been tracking other cases on http://www.trackitt.com and were anticipating the passport request the week that we actually got it. I would guess that you will receive yours mid-July... almost 2 months to the day that London started processing. Then it takes about a month to get the passport with visa back by post - or if you drop it off and collect it in person it will be a bit less than that!
We also paid everything up-front and paid very close attention to detail in the application.

Good Luck!
Old Jun 14th 2008, 7:07 pm
NEMESIS

dazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond repute

We sent our application off at the beginning of March and i handed my passport in at the CHC on June 5th and should pick my Visa up on Thursday (quicker than by post) So just over 3 months
Old Jun 15th 2008, 6:51 am
Forum Regular

techwizard has a brilliant futuretechwizard has a brilliant futuretechwizard has a brilliant futuretechwizard has a brilliant futuretechwizard has a brilliant futuretechwizard has a brilliant futuretechwizard has a brilliant future

at the same time and paid the full amount online.
Simiain - you did the right thing by paying all you money upfront.

I send my application in back in February, but held off paying the Right of Permanent Residence Fee, which I eventually paid at the end of May.

I think this has held up my application, but am not sure for how long.

Good luck in your application, and hopefully we will not have to wait too much longer.

GW
Old Jun 15th 2008, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

Hallo there everyone, first time poster calling in. I'll be back here a fair amount as I've begun the process of being sponsored by my wife for permanent residence in the gigantic country of Canada.

I was curious about one thing; What factors might expedite an application for PR. My wife and I were quite thorough in our application. We sent everything (all forms, medical, photographs, proof of relationship) at the same time and paid the full amount online.

Mississauga OK'ed us 4 weeks later and London have been processing since May 15th.

Many thanks in advance, and I look forward to becoming part of this exclusive wee club!
hi Simian......

you have done everything you can to help your application along ASAP!

well done!..sit tight..won't be long now..
Old Jun 15th 2008, 7:15 pm
Just Joined

Hey everyone,

Thanks for all the positive replies, Its heartening to see so many people in my situation and how quickly the majority of people have been 'processed'.

A lovely wee community you have here, just have to hold on for the next six or seven weeks, think I can manage that!
Old Jun 16th 2008, 12:08 pm
Just Joined

HLKG is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Simiain

You are a week behind me so I will keep you posted. I think I'm right in saying that at this stage no news (i.e. returned applications!) is good news. I'm hoping to join my husband in BC by late September, so have a bit of time to play with, but will feel much better when I have the shiny new visa in my passport!

H
Old Jun 16th 2008, 2:47 pm
Job Hunting in Ottawa

sheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of light

woohoo our sponsorship was confirmed this morning. took just less than a month after they received it.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 5:15 pm
Get me to Canada fast!!

khuppe is an unknown quantity at this point

London has been processing mine from 13 th May- so hopefully wont be much longer fingers crossed!
Old Jun 17th 2008, 8:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sheadboy
woohoo our sponsorship was confirmed this morning. took just less than a month after they received it.
Crikey, excellent news, congratulations mate!

Pretty blinkin' heartening to hear news like that alright!