Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Need landing advice (fly through Montreal or Toronto)

Need landing advice (fly through Montreal or Toronto)

Old Apr 21st 2010, 10:48 pm
Just Joined

proman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need landing advice (fly through Montreal or Toronto)

Hi all,

We are planning to land in Canada around July. Flying from US to Fredericton, NB.

There are no direct flights, so we need to either buy a ticket that stops in Toronto or Montreal. I believe that the PR landing is done at the first port of entry.

From previous landing experiences, is it usually considered easier/problem-free to land/customs in Toronto or in Montreal?

Also, I understand the stop needs to be long enough to finish landing processes and make sure we are not late for the second flight to Fredericton.

When buying a ticket, how long of a wait should we choose between the flights?

Thx in advance for sharing your insights
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 12:38 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need landing advice (fly through Montreal or Toronto)

Originally Posted by proman
Hi all,

We are planning to land in Canada around July. Flying from US to Fredericton, NB.

There are no direct flights, so we need to either buy a ticket that stops in Toronto or Montreal. I believe that the PR landing is done at the first port of entry.

From previous landing experiences, is it usually considered easier/problem-free to land/customs in Toronto or in Montreal?

Also, I understand the stop needs to be long enough to finish landing processes and make sure we are not late for the second flight to Fredericton.

When buying a ticket, how long of a wait should we choose between the flights?

Thx in advance for sharing your insights
Either port of entry will provide a similar service. I would be inclined to leave at least 4 hours between flights. Buy your flights when they are cheapest, no way to tell when that would be. 90 days or less is usually the better pricing, time of year makes a difference and for scheduled time of day can also make a difference, although most scheds go around a similar time. The less desirable the departure time the lower the fare is likley to be. Charters does not matter, most go or arrive at odd times.
Old Apr 24th 2010, 1:35 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

If you land in Montreal they will probably expect to see clear evidence (such as airline ticket) of onward travel to New Brunswick.

All things equal, it would be better to land in Toronto.
Old Apr 24th 2010, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

marimac is just really nicemarimac is just really nicemarimac is just really nicemarimac is just really nicemarimac is just really nicemarimac is just really nicemarimac is just really nicemarimac is just really nice

For us landing in Toronto, the immigration part was very quick (less then 10 minutes). But be aware that you have to collect your bags before your onward flight (think this is the same at all Canadian airports for international arrivals). Due to problems with the baggage handlers - our whole flights bags took over 2 hours to arrive! This is exceptional, of course. We then declared our goods to follow which took another 20 minutes or so.

Your bags should get tagged as priority so that they will arrive first. You may also have to change terminals so allow time for that.
Old Apr 24th 2010, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

Kynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really nice

How good is your french? If it's really good, Montreal might be ok. If it isn't, I'd opt for Toronto. Toronto also avoids the issues of Quebec being different from the rest of Canada for immigration.

Don't they give you the option of flying via Halifax? At least if you flew via Halifax, you wouldn't be flying past NB just to fly back again. (that said, I don't know whether there are flights from Hali to Fredericton or not...I'm just assuming they are). Depending on how 'adventurous' you are, you might find it cheaper to fly to Halifax, land, and rent a car and drive to Fredericton (it's only about a 5 hr drive).
Old Apr 24th 2010, 2:44 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

You can fly direct non-stop from Halifax to Fredericton on Air Canada - it's £187 single in July or $232 if booked stating place of residence is Canada.

Flight from LHR to Halifax is £543 - or $656 + taxes if booked stating place of residence is Canada.

It all depends on the exchange rate

Total charge for 1 adult
Base Fare
Options 0.00
Taxes, fees, charges and surcharges 192.92
Converted Total - Canadian dollars - for information only $849.00
Grand Total - pounds Sterling £543.50 GBP

A flight from LHR - Fredericton via Halifax is also an option (through booking).

London, Heathrow (LHR) Halifax, Halifax Int'l (YHZ) Wed Jul-14 departs 10:05 arrives 12:45 9hr57 (non stop)
Halifax Int'l (YHZ) Fredericton (YFC) Wed Jul-14 departs 15:10 arrives 16:02 (non stop) 52m

Total charge for 1 adult
Base Fare
Options 0.00
Taxes, fees, charges and surcharges 248.14
Converted Total - Canadian dollars - for information only $1188.91
Grand Total - pounds Sterling £761.10 GBP

It appears cheaper to book them separately (by around £30)

Last edited by Siouxie; Apr 24th 2010 at 2:58 pm.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 11:53 pm
Forum Regular

the big burp is on a distinguished road

i landed in montreal with no problem when i had a canadian pr visa. i never had to show intention to leave quebec but did provide an ontario address for pr card etc. immigration at ontreal took forever, we had to wait in line for over 2 hours before seeing an officer to process our pr. i saw someone said that toronto immigration is quicker, so not sure if you want to take that into consideration. i think it should be fine, esp. if you book a ticket to elsewhere in canada and can produce this upon request

btw. the immigration officials etc and most ppl in downtown montreal are bilingual so i wouldnt worry about french when just staying a short period or having a layover in montreal
Old Apr 26th 2010, 12:49 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by siouxie
You can fly direct non-stop from Halifax to Fredericton on Air Canada - it's £187 single in July or $232 if booked stating place of residence is Canada.

Flight from LHR to Halifax is £543 - or $656 + taxes if booked stating place of residence is Canada.

Helpful as ever. But the OP is starting from an unspecified US location.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 1:18 am
Forum Regular

Kynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really nice

Oh Geez. I completely missed the "US" part too! Ok, ignore what I said, I was thinking you were coming from the UK.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 3:06 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Helpful as ever. But the OP is starting from an unspecified US location.

Ooops!! Sorry - I am so used to most people coming in from the UK I didn't "see" the flying from the US bit...

Old Apr 26th 2010, 3:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
If you land in Montreal they will probably expect to see clear evidence (such as airline ticket) of onward travel to New Brunswick.

All things equal, it would be better to land in Toronto.

This always puzzles me. Is Quebec not part of Canada? I appreciate that Quebec, donning its Provincial hat, has its own system, but, with its Federal hat on, can it not process on behalf of the Feds?
Old Apr 27th 2010, 12:05 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
This always puzzles me. Is Quebec not part of Canada? I appreciate that Quebec, donning its Provincial hat, has its own system, but, with its Federal hat on, can it not process on behalf of the Feds?

It can, and does - but the agreement between Canada and Quebec is that those who intend to settle in Quebec should have a CSQ.

So if you want to land in Quebec without a CSQ, better be prepared to show that you're not intending to stay in Quebec. For simplicity, better to avoid landing in Quebec completely.