Sponsoring Step Mother and Kids

Old Feb 11th 2001, 2:12 am
James Spooner

Hi Everyone,

We are looking for a littel advice or guidance in this area... We are about to embark on a
long road... My wife and I are starting to fill out the sponsorship forms to sponsor her
Step-mother and step-brother and step-sisters (those that are dependants...) in the
Philippines. In Nov. 1995 her father was tragically killed in an accident. He had
re-married when my wife was quite young, and this is who she considers her defacto
mother... having raised her from a young age. Of course, if it wasn't for the accident, we
would of proceeded with what would of been considered a normal application and they would
all be here in Canada by now, but we have decided to give it a good fight anyway and try
the sponsorship of her family.

Does anybody have experience or can anybody give some advise in this area?

Cheers, James

Old Feb 11th 2001, 6:00 pm
PMM

Hi James

> Hi Everyone,
>
> We are looking for a littel advice or guidance in this area... We are
about
> to embark on a long road... My wife and I are starting to fill out the sponsorship forms
> to sponsor her Step-mother and step-brother and step-sisters (those that are
> dependants...) in the Philippines. In Nov.
> her father was tragically killed in an accident. He had re-married when my wife was
> quite young, and this is who she considers her defacto mother... having raised her from
> a young age. Of course, if it wasn't for the accident, we would of proceeded with what
> would of been considered a
normal
> application and they would all be here in Canada by now, but we have
decided
> to give it a good fight anyway and try the sponsorship of her family.
>
> Does anybody have experience or can anybody give some advise in this area?
>
> Cheers, James

Be prepared for a long and involved case. Your wife's stepmother and half brothers and
sisters are not members of the family class and therefor cannot be sponsored. Your wife is
going to have demonstrate that there sufficient "humanitarian and compassionate" reasons
for CIC to waive relationship in this type of case. She will have to demonstrate a high
degree of attachment to her stepmother for CIC to process the application.

I would think that there is a very little chance that your wife's application is going to
be successful.

PMM