Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Soft Landing, Exiting and re-entering canada

Soft Landing, Exiting and re-entering canada

Old Nov 13th 2017, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

DaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Soft Landing, Exiting and re-entering canada

Hi All,

Just wondering if there was any knowledge of the above? or experience?

E.g. I assume if you do a soft landing, exit and then go to go back some months later (with out PR card), is there any problem re-entering with just your passport? etc

cheers
Old Nov 13th 2017, 8:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Soft Landing, Exiting and re-entering canada

Originally Posted by DaleBoy
Hi All,

Just wondering if there was any knowledge of the above? or experience?

E.g. I assume if you do a soft landing, exit and then go to go back some months later (with out PR card), is there any problem re-entering with just your passport? etc

cheers
Well without the PR card you cannot fly into Canada from the UK or the USA so that may pose a problem. You will either have to get the PRTD from the London visa office or fly to the USA with a valid ESTA and then cross by vehicle or train.
Old Nov 13th 2017, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

DaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Well without the PR card you cannot fly into Canada from the UK or the USA so that may pose a problem. You will either have to get the PRTD from the London visa office or fly to the USA with a valid ESTA and then cross by vehicle or train.
I just checked and train or commercial vehicle isn't even a option...has to be a private vehicle(rental)
Old Nov 13th 2017, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

PRs seeking to enter via the land border without a PRC: needs to be a private vehicle such as own vehicle or hire car i.e. not a vehicle for public use.
Old Nov 13th 2017, 9:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

From the website
Drive or arrive by train, bus, or boat:

You don’t need a visa or eTA, but you do need to bring the right travel documents.
Find out if you need a visa
Old Nov 13th 2017, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

For those FNs who are visa exempt and no eTA yes, train, ship, bus .... but not for PRs without a PRC:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=064&top=10

Last edited by Snowy560; Nov 13th 2017 at 9:52 pm.
Old Nov 13th 2017, 9:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Snowy560
For those FNs who are visa exempt yes, train, ship, bus .... but not for PRs without a PRC:

I need to leave Canada and I do not have a permanent resident card. Can I later return to Canada without a PR card?
Yup Im bad but also the website is wrong as if you click on this link
Find out if you need a visa

It gives you these selections
A citizen of Canada and another country (dual citizen)
A permanent resident of Canada (PR Card)
A refugee travelling with a document for non-citizens
A stateless person travelling with an alien’s passport
A former resident of Canada, but have not been back for many years
None of the above

NOTE there is no PR of Canada no PR card so if you select the none of the above it gives you the answer I gave if you put in GBR code for UK citizen which he is which went over my head realizing he is a PR without a PR card.
Old Nov 13th 2017, 10:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

It's very confusing I agree. It was only when a friend of mine visited last year who is visa exempt and she came on a cruise ship that the differences in entry requirements for FNs/visa exempt vs PRs/no PRC travelling other than by plane became apparent.

Last edited by Snowy560; Nov 13th 2017 at 10:02 pm.
Old Nov 13th 2017, 10:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It's very confusing I agree. It was only when a friend of mine visited last year who is visa exempt and she came on a cruise ship that the differences in entry requirements for FNs/visa exempt vs PRs/no PRC travelling other than by plane became apparent.
Changing jobs within CBSA sometimes gives you brain farts on stuff you now don't deal with daily. I shall now hang my head in shame and go away and skulk in the corner with a cone shaped hat on.
Old Nov 13th 2017, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Look, the eTA and no PRC stuff we are all getting used to, even professionals. There's a lot of misinformation and issues which IRCC/CBSA have had to clarify in relation to the introduction of eTA (and this is where all the differences now stem from).
Old Nov 13th 2017, 10:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Look, the eTA and no PRC stuff we are all getting used to, even professionals. There's a lot of misinformation and issues which IRCC/CBSA have had to clarify in relation to the introduction of eTA (and this is where all the differences now stem from).
What I have found if Im being truthful is most of the mistakes are made by IRCC and relaying the clear meanings in plain english to CBSA. The legislation for eTA was brought in by IRCC but as we all know IRCC don't have their own staff working at POE's so CBSA officers have to interpret the legislation as to what IRCC actually means.

From the same website albeit a different page
Subsection 11(1.01) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) requires all visa-exempt foreign nationals (except U.S. citizens and certain other small groups) travelling to or transiting through Canada by air to apply for an electronic travel authorization (eTA), and establishes the means by which that application must be made (i.e. through the electronic system). Subsection 7.1(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR) requires these foreign nationals to obtain an eTA before entering Canada, unless they are otherwise exempted.

The eTA became a mandatory entry requirement for these air travellers on March 15, 2016. To help reduce travel disruptions, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) established a leniency period from March 15, 2016 to November 9, 2016. As of November 10, 2016, the eTA requirement is enforced at check-in for flights to or through Canada via the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) Interactive Advance Passenger Information (IAPI) system.

This requirement does not apply to these foreign nationals travelling to or transiting through Canada by land, sea, or rail modes.

NOTE Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations and Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. Now to brush up on the other 91 Acts of Parliament Im supposed to know about