Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Should we try?? Not straight forward and may have missed our chance.

Should we try?? Not straight forward and may have missed our chance.

Old Mar 17th 2018, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

Richos_9 has a reputation beyond reputeRichos_9 has a reputation beyond reputeRichos_9 has a reputation beyond reputeRichos_9 has a reputation beyond reputeRichos_9 has a reputation beyond reputeRichos_9 has a reputation beyond reputeRichos_9 has a reputation beyond reputeRichos_9 has a reputation beyond reputeRichos_9 has a reputation beyond reputeRichos_9 has a reputation beyond reputeRichos_9 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Should we try?? Not straight forward and may have missed our chance.

So we are in a position of wanting to try for PR, but I feel that our ship has sailed! Our story in short; Previously had PR, lived in Canada 2003-2011, had 2 children whilst living over there who obviously have dual citizenship. We didn’t go for citizenship whilst there (we have been kicking ourselves since). We returned to Canada in 2016 for a holiday, I had to renounce my PR status to get my ETA. My husband tried to aswell but there was a technical issue at the time so he couldn’t renounce it, he flew without an ETA, but that was before it had become a requirement. So he still has PR, but not valid.
With my husbands job keeping us here, we never ended up going for PR again, even though I had previously posted about the possibility. We should have, we would have had more than enough points.
So now; we are scoring about 350. My husband is in the automotive trade. He has the red seal certificate, but would need to get his actual qualification assessed to get more points. He will be 43 next month. We can book on to an IELTS for next weekend for both of us (I included IELTS results in the CRS questions, assuming we got the highest). Should we try?? I’m assuming we’d go through the Skilled Trade route.
TIA!
Old Mar 17th 2018, 12:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should we try?? Not straight forward and may have missed our chance.

When you say your husband is in the 'automotive trade', can you be more specific? What is his actual job/NOC code? 350 points may be enough if he can apply under the FST program, but won't be anywhere near enough if he would need to apply as a FSW, and that will depend on what his claimed NOC code is.

And when he entered Canada last time, did he enter as a PR or just as a visitor?
Old Mar 17th 2018, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

Richos_9 has a reputation beyond reputeRichos_9 has a reputation beyond reputeRichos_9 has a reputation beyond reputeRichos_9 has a reputation beyond reputeRichos_9 has a reputation beyond reputeRichos_9 has a reputation beyond reputeRichos_9 has a reputation beyond reputeRichos_9 has a reputation beyond reputeRichos_9 has a reputation beyond reputeRichos_9 has a reputation beyond reputeRichos_9 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should we try?? Not straight forward and may have missed our chance.

Thanks for your reply. His recent job could come under NOC code 7301 Contractor & supervisor, but he could also use NOC 7321 for mechanic, he has experience of both in the last 5 years. In canada his work was as a mechanic.
When we visited in 2016, as far as I’m aware it was as a visitor. As the ETA wasn’t in full affect, they didn’t really question us.
Old Mar 17th 2018, 12:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I would suggest that he voluntarily renounces his PR as he still legally is a PR but is non compliant with the Act of not meeting the residency obligation so that will cause problems with any application submitted especially if he is going to be the principal applicant. Even if not the PA he legally still has PR status.

Read this link
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...574.1484090240
Old Mar 17th 2018, 12:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Richos_9
Thanks for your reply. His recent job could come under NOC code 7301 Contractor & supervisor, but he could also use NOC 7321 for mechanic, he has experience of both in the last 5 years. In canada his work was as a mechanic.
OK, so both of those would be eligible under FST - just wanted to check that when you said 'automotive trade' he wasn't a car salesman or something like that!

In which case, then yes, I'd go for it personally. He'll need to renounce his PR before applying though.

HTH, best of luck.
Old Mar 17th 2018, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

That’s great news. We’ll book on to the IELTS course and renounce my hubbys PR.
Thank you so much!
Old Apr 8th 2018, 6:34 am
Forum Regular

I have another question about renouncing PR. After reading on CIC.GC the quickest way to renounce PR, it says to apply for an ETA, they will reply with the opportunity to do it online through a link they provide, my husband has since tried this. It came back saying that my husband is not eligible for an ETA as he is a PR and they were closing his application for the ETA. I know he doesn’t meet the RO for PR, but why did it close the application and not give him the opportunity to renounce? When I applied for my ETA in 2016, they sent me the link to renounce through my ETA application and it was all straight forward, but my husband couldn’t renounce his back then as the same thing happened.
Old Apr 8th 2018, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

Brooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really nice

Doesn’t time spent living with Canadian citizens overseas count towards ‘time in canada’, or is that only with spousal sponsorship?

If it does then could living with your dually children have kept you active without realising?
Old Apr 8th 2018, 10:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brooks52
Doesn’t time spent living with Canadian citizens overseas count towards ‘time in canada’, or is that only with spousal sponsorship?

If it does then could living with your dually children have kept you active without realising?

From the manual

is outside Canada accompanying a Canadian citizen who is their spouse or common-law partner or, in the case of a child, their parent

the children are not their spouse or common law partner.
https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ir.../enf23-eng.pdf