Should we go into the pool now?

Old Feb 23rd 2018, 5:15 am
Forum Regular

jimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Should we go into the pool now?

Hi all,

I wrote in my 'proof of funds' thread that I'd post up when we got our IELTS results and see what everyone thinks is the best course of action next.

Speaking: 8.5
Writing: 8.5
Reading: 9
Listening: 7

So effectively our CBL scores are 10,10,10 and I think 7 for listening, so we lose out the bonus 50 points for skills transferability because of that listening result not being a 9. There is no score equivalent for IELTS 7 on the CBL rating, I'm assuming it is 7 but I guess there is potential for it to be 8? Is anyone able to clarify? 7.5 is an 8 and 6 is a 7, so what does 7 fall under :s

Our current CRS score is 406. We want to go for Ontario PNP nomination for the human capital stream, so no job offer required. Does anyone know a rough time frame on how long it takes for them to choose someone, or can we approach Ontario and ask them for nomination on this stream?
The last lot of invites from them states it was between 430-440 but if we can ask them directly then maybe more luck and potentially faster?

We will redo the IELTS in the near future to try and get that listening score to a 9 (ielts 8). The listening to us, is very much pot luck on what you will get on the day.

Last edited by jimmynoshoes; Feb 23rd 2018 at 6:50 am.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 6:43 am
No beginning to my talent

crofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should we go into the pool now?

If you're retaking IELTS I recommend checking out IELTS Liz – IELTS Videos, IELTS Tips & IELTS Lessons for Free if you haven't already.

My wife and I did our IELTS last month and we used her videos and other resources to study for it. We both found them incredibly useful for tips and tricks on how to tackle the tests.

I agree somewhat that listening is pot luck but if you know what to look out for and develop your own techniques for how to go about it, you'll stand a much better chance of getting your scores up.

IELTS is harder than people think. Everybody who I tell that I've done it says the same thing: "But you're a native speaker, you should score 100%." Compare that with people who've done the test who know it's not that simple!
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 7:10 am

crofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond repute

Also you can see the previous rounds of NOIs issued by Ontario here: http://www.ontarioimmigration.ca/en/pnp/OI_PNPNEW.html
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

jimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond repute

We used the Ielts Liz site, but didn't find it made much difference to the listening scores. Hopefully more luck next time with some more practise. Have got my partner rebooked for the 3rd March, since my scores are irrelevant on this section now.

Have looked at the Ontario NOI scores earlier as well, based on those scores they are issuing NOI's, it doesn't seem like we'd have much joy. I can't find anything that says what skills they are actively looking for. We fit in the category, but if they only want 1-2 people per month for the NOC code, then we will be there a very long time. Looked on the Ontario website a bit more and finally noticed an answer to one of my questions:

You cannot apply directly for the Human Capital Stream. - Well that sucks

I am hoping a few other provinces start offering a similar stream where a job requirement isn't a criteria. Need the visa for a job >_>

- Honestly, the amount of times I edit these for my terrible spelling and grammar, it's shocking how I got an 8 in my writing.

Last edited by jimmynoshoes; Feb 23rd 2018 at 8:19 am.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by jimmynoshoes
but if we can apply direct under the Human Capital Priority stream then maybe we will have more luck.
Unless I'm missing something I don't think you can apply directly to Ontario unfortunately until after they've issued the NOI:

OINP-Ontario Express Entry: Human Capital Priorities-Ready to apply
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 8:33 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crofty82
Unless I'm missing something I don't think you can apply directly to Ontario unfortunately until after they've issued the NOI:

OINP-Ontario Express Entry: Human Capital Priorities-Ready to apply
+1. OP, for PNP you just enter the EE pool and select Ontario as a potential province, Ontario then scans the pool and picks those scoring the highest that meet their criteria and that they want. So you can't apply directly.

More info on the process here - http://www.ontarioimmigration.ca/en/...PITAL_HOW.html

HTH.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

Yeh I found that info as I was making ninja edits, then saw Crofty82 had also put the info up (helps to refresh the page before making edits).

Puts a bit of a spanner in the works that one. Ontario is the only province that we know of which offers a programme where no job offer is needed. It is proving near impossible to get a job offer without a visa...

Thank you both for verifying as well.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 8:40 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Yeh I found that info as I was making ninja edits, then saw Crofty82 had also put the info up (helps to refresh the page before making edits).

Puts a bit of a spanner in the works that one. Ontario is the only province that we know of which offers a programme where no job offer is needed. It is proving near impossible to get a job offer without a visa...
What are your NOC codes? There are other provinces that don't require a job offer for PNP.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 8:43 am

Saskatchewan doesn't require a job offer if your occupation is on their in-demand list:

International Skilled Worker: Occupation In-Demand | Apply as an International Skilled Worker | Government of Saskatchewan

There's also the Atlantic Immigration Pilot which we also looked at. That does require a job offer but the general requirements are much lower than for Federal EE. Problem is there's no central list of which employer is enrolled in the program:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ion-pilot.html
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

My partners NOC code is 2113 - Geoscientists and Oceanographers. 4 years experience. She is the primary applicant with the masters degree. I have no skilled work really, I could go under the 1525 code myself, but only have 1 year in that.

I think she looked at the AIP but said we couldn't do it due to job offer requirement as well.

The Saskatchewan stream is currently closed according to the site sadly, her NOC code is also not listed. I don't recall there being much work for her in that area/province. It is mainly BC, Alberta and Ontario regions that have the positions for her.

Last edited by jimmynoshoes; Feb 23rd 2018 at 9:02 am.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 9:01 am

Your partner could approach some employers in the Atlantic Provinces directly and ask (1) are they enrolled in the program or (2) would they consider enrolling.

I'm no expert but the governments in those provinces clearly need to attract skilled immigrants or they wouldn't have lowered the entry requirements so much.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

I'll have a chat with her and see if she wants to try that. We have our hearts set on BC,Calgary and Ontario/Ottawa really. Plus like I wrote before, that is where the majority of employers in her field operate.

I guess it won't hurt to go into the pool now and then update the scores if she gets higher in a few weeks? Never know, might get lucky.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

What does she do exactly? I doubt Oceanography is going to a high demand role in the Prairies. But depending on what she does then the oil and gas there may be of interest or mining in Ontario/BC.

Have you tried looking for work and the possibility of an employer doing an LMIA to support your application? Depending on your wife's skills it may actually not be as hard as you might think
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

She is a Geo-Environmental Consultant, within the contaminated land/remediation sector currently, though has background in geotechnical engineering as well. She could potentially come under site supervisor as a trade, but I think CIC would argue that her background is not really that, though she does supervise sites that works are being carried out on, on occasion. She also has some form of Site Supervisor card (will verify later). My understanding of what she does is somewhat limited.

The ones she has applied to directly either do not respond or tell her she needs a visa first. Having that job offer would be great, it just doesn't seem to be happening sadly.

Last edited by jimmynoshoes; Feb 23rd 2018 at 11:56 am.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

She is a Geo-Environmental Consultant, within the contaminated land/remediation sector currently, though has background in geotechnical engineering as well. She could potentially come under site supervisor as a trade, but I think CIC would argue that her background is not really that, though she does supervise sites that works are being carried out on, on occasion. She also has some form of Site Supervisor card (will verify later). My understanding of what she does is somewhat limited.

The ones she has applied to directly either do not respond or tell her she needs a visa first. Having that job offer would be great, it just doesn't seem to be happening sadly.
Are you under 30 and UK citizen and/or under 35 and Irish citizen

She could be a good fit for the company I work for and we are looking to expand. I will PM you the company name to take a look at.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.