Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Lornaxo's questions about maximising EE points

Lornaxo's questions about maximising EE points

Old Apr 10th 2018, 8:13 pm
Just Joined

Lornaxo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Lornaxo's questions about maximising EE points

Hey, I’m 25 and currently starting studying on an access course in the uk, with the intention to go to university to study criminology. I am a lone parent, hoping to emigrate to Canada by 2023 (as it will take me that long to save enough money to secure our future). Amounts to university I intent to work as a support worker for young adults and gain some experience alongside university. Can anybody give me some advice on things I can do to get my points up ? I plan to come on holiday every year to do some travelling and gain more information on how to attain citizenship.
Old Apr 11th 2018, 7:48 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Married couple keen to move to Canada - where to start?

Originally Posted by Lornaxo
Hey, I’m 25 and currently starting studying on an access course in the uk, with the intention to go to university to study criminology. I am a lone parent, hoping to emigrate to Canada by 2023 (as it will take me that long to save enough money to secure our future). Amounts to university I intent to work as a support worker for young adults and gain some experience alongside university. Can anybody give me some advice on things I can do to get my points up ? I plan to come on holiday every year to do some travelling and gain more information on how to attain citizenship.
Hi, and welcome to BE.

I've moved your post to a thread of your own - for future ref it's always better to ask your questions on your own thread, rather than tacking them to the end of somebody else's where they may be missed.

Can anybody give me some advice on things I can do to get my points up ?
Yes, don't wait until 2023! By then the whole system may have changed and you may no longer be eligible, plus you'll start to lose points once you hit 30. What do you score now? If eligible, then I absolutely wouldn't delay applying personally.

If you're not eligible now, then have you thought about studying in Canada instead? That way you'd have a credential that is recognised there and won't have any further hoops to jump through.

Alternatively, you could look at the IEC visa, which would get you over there fairly easily and give you a major boost to your points with Canadian work experience.

I plan to come on holiday every year to do some travelling and gain more information on how to attain citizenship.
A holiday or two is good, best to check out where you wish to move to, but that will eat in to your savings considerably. You may be better off holidaying in the UK every other year to keep those funds topped up. Also, you are a long way off citizenship - you need to be a PR of Canada for several years before you can apply for that, so I wouldn't worry about that now. Just focus on getting a visa/PR and then citizenship when the time comes.

One other thing to mention, is that if your son/daughter's other parent is alive, you will need their permission to remove the child from UK jurisdiction (or a court order to that effect). That can take a while if you have to go to court, so something to factor in.

HTH, best of luck.