Sending passports from Canada

Old Aug 14th 2007, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

jrhiggo9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sending passports from Canada

I am about to send my passports to CIC London for my Visa.
I am in Canada as a visitor and so will courier them to the UK.
Throughout my application my mailing address for CIC has been in the UK.
Can I give my Canada address now on the form that I return with my passports (under "Current Mailing Address") and will they then send them to Canada rather than my normal UK mailing address? or would this cause problems.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

snoopymccrew is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sending passports from Canada

I have the same query. Waiting on passport request (fingers crossed!) as I took my medical early last month. Planning on going to Toronto in Sept to see my girlfriend & friends on a visitor visa & not yet sure where I'll be staying (girlfriend will back in Toronto after a summer in Alberta and therefore we'll both be crashing with friends) ...if passport request arrives while I'm over there I hope I can get them to mail it back to a reliable Toronto address.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 10:42 pm
Just Joined

DjSap is an unknown quantity at this point

Kind of in the same situation. Applying family class to London but will be in Canada the entire time, so I'm not sure if I can use a Canadian address throughout the process or if they only send it to the country you are applying through. I've emailed CIC but still waiting for the reply.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 11:32 pm
Just Joined

fisherking is an unknown quantity at this point

If it's any help, I had already purchased a property in Canada and stayed there as a visitor. CIC only had my UK address and I had all my post forwarded to Canada. After I recieved my 90 day letter which asked for updated info I requested that all correspondance to be sent to my Canadian address.
My family and I had our medicals done in Canada and everything was sent to CIC UK. After we received our PPR I sent everything to CIC via Fedex.
CIC London sent everything back directly to Canada. No problem at all.
Old Aug 15th 2007, 12:01 am
Forum Regular

Thanks fisherking. Your situation sounds almost identical to mine.
I notified CIC of my Canada address with my 90 day update and had medicals done here in Canada, only I continued to use the UK address for correspondence ie my request for passports was sent to my UK address.

As my Canada address is already on file with them, I would think it OK to request my passports be sent here. Would save me a lot of grief.
Old Aug 15th 2007, 1:02 am
Just Joined

fisherking is an unknown quantity at this point

It certainly speeds things up, it took exactly 4 weeks from us sending our passports via fedex to CIC London and getting them sent back all the way to BC Canada . This seems to be about the same CIC London takes to return passports to the UK ! how can that be? must be the UK's speedy postal system..

Steve
Old Aug 15th 2007, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

budda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant future

Fisherking,

Does that mean that you applied as outside Canada and are just going to cross the border in BC and come back.

Hope you can help as i want to go to Canada now and wait for PPR.

Thanks

John
Old Aug 15th 2007, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

Hmm...my situation is slightly different...I will be going to Toronto for a short break, but if my passport request arrives at my UK address while I'm away then I will definitely want to stay in Toronto and land via the US border. Will I be able to just request that it gets sent to wherever I'm staying in Toronto?
Old Aug 15th 2007, 3:07 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

I just mailed off our passports (for PR visa) back to London from NS on Monday. Along with our passports we had to submit new photos and fill out an 'updated information chart' which asked for height, eye colour, updated address and email address.
Old Aug 15th 2007, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

Where in Nova Scotia are you? We are on eastern shore (jeddore). Beautiful place.
We have the same update chart. That brings the total of photos each up to 9.
Would have been cheaper to get them all at the same time and at 50 looks dont change that much over 3 years!!
Old Aug 15th 2007, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

budda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant future

I am going through Family Class visa, so i would assume that since i sent the application 5 months ago, i would not need to send that.

So, will it be fine to send my Passport form Canada if i applied from outside Canada then cross at buffalo?

Thanks

John
Old Aug 15th 2007, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

yescando - Where do you plan to cross the border?

Were thinking of taking the ferry from yarmouth to maine and back...

Any one any experience of crossing the border into the states to "Land"
Where and how did it go?
Old Aug 15th 2007, 9:18 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

I know what you mean about all the photos. Our kids have certainly changed over the last 6 months (16 and almost 13) so they definitely needed new pics. Wish I could stay forever youthful on mine

When our passports come back we are not sure where to cross. We live up in New Glasgow. Cheapest option would be to drive to Bangor, Maine which is about 6-7 hours, then make a nice weekend out of it.

We could head down to Yarmouth and take the ferry to USA there. We would probably spend a long weekend there as we are about 4-5 hours drive to Yarmouth.

Another option is to fly to Hamilton as we have friends in Caledonia. We could then cross at Niagara. Thing is, the flights are coming in at $1700 for family of 4

We also have return tickets to Aberdeen but would need to buy a flight back to Halifax from UK. I also feel that we have not been away long enough to go back 'home' yet. We are very settled here and I would hate to 'rock the boat' by going on a 'reverse holiday' (if you know what I mean)

Looks like we may be celebrating around the same time.
Old Aug 15th 2007, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

What about a non-permanent address? Would CIC London send me my passport to my friend's house in Toronto if I was visiting? Anyone?
Old Aug 16th 2007, 3:36 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snoopymccrew
What about a non-permanent address? Would CIC London send me my passport to my friend's house in Toronto if I was visiting? Anyone?
I think the CHC will probably send them wherever you ask them to send it. I would include an pre-addressed envelope for them to return them too to be safe. The thing they warned me about was sending passports accross international borders that were not either be sent to an official passport office or embassy or sent by an official passport office or embassy. If you get them sent to a friend and then get your frient to forward to you in Canada they can get intercepted by security services. Likewise if you send them to a friend in UK and aske them to forward for you. Send directly to CHC so they don't get intercepted. Also, be carefull of travelling accross border with passports other than your own. If you got someone to bring them over for you make sure you give them a letter to show to customs explaining why they are doing it and that you have given them permission.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.