Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Requirement for eTA if I have CoPR (IMM5688) & Electronic foil (IMM5785)?

Requirement for eTA if I have CoPR (IMM5688) & Electronic foil (IMM5785)?

Old Aug 16th 2017, 4:37 pm
Just Joined

migxpat has a reputation beyond reputemigxpat has a reputation beyond reputemigxpat has a reputation beyond reputemigxpat has a reputation beyond reputemigxpat has a reputation beyond reputemigxpat has a reputation beyond reputemigxpat has a reputation beyond reputemigxpat has a reputation beyond reputemigxpat has a reputation beyond reputemigxpat has a reputation beyond reputemigxpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Requirement for eTA if I have CoPR (IMM5688) & Electronic foil (IMM5785)?

Hi everyone,

My family and I have all got our CoPR forms (IMM5688) and an electronic foil (IMM5785) issued to us.

We plan to land in Canada for the first time this coming October.

However, I've had conflicting advice regarding whether we also need to apply for an electronic travel authorisation (eTA) for each of us too so that we'll be allowed to board our flight; or whether the CoPR form + electronic foils are sufficient to gain us our boarding passes at check-in.

The website of the High Commission says unless you're a PR you need an eTA. We're not technically PRs until we clear immigration in Canada. Our migration agents in Canada are adamant we do NOT need to apply for eTAs; they say our CoPR and electronic foils are the proof.

I'd appreciate any view on this from folk more versed than me. I just don't want to arrive at Heathrow and be denied boarding. It wouldn't get our migration off to the smoothest start.

Thanks
Old Aug 16th 2017, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Requirement for eTA if I have CoPR (IMM5688) & Electronic foil (IMM5785)?

No say IRCC:

I have a Confirmation of Permanent Residence (CoPR) and will travel to Canada. Do I need an eTA?

Last edited by Snowy560; Aug 16th 2017 at 4:47 pm.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 4:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Requirement for eTA if I have CoPR (IMM5688) & Electronic foil (IMM5785)?

That is absolutely the official line and it is CIC saying it.

Having said that, I didn't take any chances and for the sake of $7 (IIRC) took out an ETA for my wife anyway a few days beforehand - just to be on the safe side. But no, you shouldn't need it!
Old Aug 16th 2017, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

NavyBoy is an unknown quantity at this point

Might be worth contacting your airline and ask them, it seems to be them that are ultra cautious and being very clear on no eTA no flight.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NavyBoy
Might be worth contacting your airline and ask them, it seems to be them that are ultra cautious and being very clear on no eTA no flight.
Yes, it is the airlines that are the problem here - not CIC / CBSA once you get to the border. It is getting on the d*mned plane in the first place!
Old Aug 17th 2017, 11:55 am
Just Joined

migxpat has a reputation beyond reputemigxpat has a reputation beyond reputemigxpat has a reputation beyond reputemigxpat has a reputation beyond reputemigxpat has a reputation beyond reputemigxpat has a reputation beyond reputemigxpat has a reputation beyond reputemigxpat has a reputation beyond reputemigxpat has a reputation beyond reputemigxpat has a reputation beyond reputemigxpat has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply to my post Snowy560.
Old Aug 17th 2017, 11:56 am
Just Joined

Thanks for all the replies to my post Snowy560, NavyBoy and Hurlabrick.

Last edited by migxpat; Aug 17th 2017 at 11:58 am. Reason: Incomplete acknowledgements to all those that had replied.
Old Aug 17th 2017, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

I spotted this information on the Canada wiki:

Permanent Resident Card-Canada : British Expat Wiki

"What you need to know about eTAs, PR Cards, and PR Travel Documents

[...]

Scenario 1: I have a COPR document, but have not yet landed.
Until you actually LAND in Canada, you are not a PR of Canada, and therefore you need an eTA before travelling to Canada. The airline will not board you without this eTA - the COPR document is NOT conclusive proof that you will be allowed into Canada. So until you actually become a PR, you need to have an eTA to board the plane."

This wiki text appears to conflict with the advice offered on CIC website (and earlier replies to this post) which indicates you don't need an eTA to travel to Canada if you have a CoPR?

I have a Confirmation of Permanent Residence (CoPR) and will travel to Canada. Do I need an eTA?

Can a moderator review and update the wiki advice as required, thanks.
Old Aug 18th 2017, 7:38 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by migxpat
I spotted this information on the Canada wiki:

Permanent Resident Card-Canada : British Expat Wiki

"What you need to know about eTAs, PR Cards, and PR Travel Documents

[...]

Scenario 1: I have a COPR document, but have not yet landed.
Until you actually LAND in Canada, you are not a PR of Canada, and therefore you need an eTA before travelling to Canada. The airline will not board you without this eTA - the COPR document is NOT conclusive proof that you will be allowed into Canada. So until you actually become a PR, you need to have an eTA to board the plane."

This wiki text appears to conflict with the advice offered on CIC website (and earlier replies to this post) which indicates you don't need an eTA to travel to Canada if you have a CoPR?

Can a moderator review and update the wiki advice as required, thanks.
I believe that was written prior to the CIC website being updated to reflect the information shown.

Thanks for the heads up!

Old Aug 18th 2017, 10:31 am
Just Joined

Thanks for answering my thread Siouxie.