Renewal of PR card outside Canada

Old Jun 30th 2016, 2:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

victorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Renewal of PR card outside Canada

I was sponsored by my Canadian citizen partner for my PR card which I received in Feb 2012. We lived there until June 2014 and after that moved outside of Canada. My card is up for renewal in February 2017. Am I still eligible to apply as I believe I have met the 730 day residency rule and on top of this have been living with my Canadian sponsor while outside of Canada. We don't have a permanent address in Canada though.
Old Jun 30th 2016, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewal of PR card outside Canada

You can't renew a PR card from outside Canada.

However, days accompanying (living with) your CDN spouse outside Canada can count towards the residency requirements for maintaining PR status.
Old Jun 30th 2016, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

victorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
You can't renew a PR card from outside Canada.

However, days accompanying (living with) your CDN spouse outside Canada can count towards the residency requirements for maintaining PR status.
Ok that's interesting. We haven't got a set moving back date yet, it's more of a case of not wanting to lose it if I absolutely don't have to at the moment. From what you are both saying though it sounds like I don't qualify. We are going to Canada in December for a short trip so will I have to renounce it ahead of that trip or can I wait until after that?
Old Jun 30th 2016, 3:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by victorfoxtrot
Ok that's interesting. We haven't got a set moving back date yet, it's more of a case of not wanting to lose it if I absolutely don't have to at the moment. From what you are both saying though it sounds like I don't qualify. We are going to Canada in December for a short trip so will I have to renounce it ahead of that trip or can I wait until after that?
You don't renounce your PR card, it simply expires.

You have no need to renounce your PR status (unless you no longer want to be attached to Canada), as your status continues to qualify so long as you live with your Canadian citizen partner outside Canada.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc.../enf23-eng.pdf page 16
Old Jun 30th 2016, 3:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
You don't renounce your PR card, it simply expires.

You have no need to renounce your PR status (unless you no longer want to be attached to Canada), as your status continues to qualify so long as you live with your Canadian citizen partner outside Canada.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc.../enf23-eng.pdf page 16
This ^^^.

DON'T confuse PR status with the PR card & its validity. The card is a travel document, NOT a proof of PR.
Old Jun 30th 2016, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ok thanks Vulcanoid! So for my trip in December I can simply travel on my yet to expire PR card. Assuming we don't move back anytime soon, for any subsequent holidays back to Canada will I need to apply for one of those travel documents?

The reason for our uncertainty is the fall out of Brexit and how it might effect my partner who is an EU/Canadian citizen.
Old Jun 30th 2016, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

You're misreading me: I'm saying you DO qualify to retain your PR status. You can't renew your PR card (see my post above) unless & until you are once again resident in Canada.
Old Jun 30th 2016, 4:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ah ok then. I think I was thrown a bit by the first responsive from Withabix which I see has been withdrawn. So in summary I'll still be maintaining my PR status even if I continue to live outside Canada with my Canadian sponsor, I just can't renew the card. Will I encounter any problems when returning for holidays etc?
Old Jun 30th 2016, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Yep sorry - misread about your Spouse, so deleted my post as it wasn't correct.
Old Jun 30th 2016, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by withabix
Yep sorry - misread about your Spouse, so deleted my post as it wasn't correct.
Thanks, no problem!
Old Jun 30th 2016, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ah ok then. I think I was thrown a bit by the first responsive from Withabix which I see has been withdrawn. So in summary I'll still be maintaining my PR status even if I continue to live outside Canada with my Canadian sponsor, I just can't renew the card. Will I encounter any problems when returning for holidays etc?
No. Once your PR card expires, & until you can renew it (resident in Canada), you'll need a PRTD.
Old Jun 30th 2016, 4:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Shirtback
No. Once your PR card expires, & until you can renew it (resident in Canada), you'll need a PRTD.
Ok perfect, that's all I needed to know. Many thanks for your help! 😀
Old Dec 30th 2016, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

Lewmano is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

I'm almost in this exact same situation with my common-law partner. I am Canadian and her PR card expires July 15th 2017. I was reading on he application form for the PRTD and I was confused on how she can show (2) pieces of evidence of the PR Status:

"two (2) pieces of evidence that show your permanent resident status in Canada"

Our intention is to settle back in Canada and apply for a PR card renewal but it may fall after the expiry date so I will need the PRTD.

Thanks

Lewis

Last edited by Lewmano; Dec 30th 2016 at 5:54 pm. Reason: typo re-Shirtback
Old Dec 30th 2016, 5:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Lewmano
Hi All,

I'm almost in this exact same situation with my common-law partner. I am Canadian and her PR card expires July 15th 2017. I was reading on he application form for the PRTD and I was confused on how I can show (2) pieces of evidence of the PR Status:

"two (2) pieces of evidence that show your permanent resident status in Canada"

Our intention is to settle back in Canada and apply for a PR card renewal but it may fall after the expiry date so I will need the PRTD.

Thanks

Lewis
Your partner needs to show these proofs, not you. /pedantic mode.

If you read carefully, you'll find the documentary proof required listed here:
Guide 5529 - Applying for a Permanent Resident Travel Document
Old Dec 30th 2016, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

Lewmano is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply, my confusion is mostly directed at this specific wording as above. I looked into the proof requirements on the link you provided:

What are the requirements?

To apply for a PRTD you need to:

prove who you are;
confirm your permanent resident status; and

That is the part im confused, how do you prove/show your PR status other than your card?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.