British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Quick TWP / multiple job postings question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/quick-twp-multiple-job-postings-question-907275/)

Cornfedapache Dec 29th 2017 1:25 pm

Quick TWP / multiple job postings question

Hello y'all

Happy New Christmas Year Festive Holiday Season Break and all that jazz :D

I've got a v quick Q about TWPs which I can't seem to find an obvious answer for...

I have seen quite a few good looking temporary job opportunities in Toronto which would fit my skill set (we need jobs to make the move, points alone won't cut it unless there's a big drop in the threshold).

The ones which have popped up have been for a year.

So my thinking is that if I got one of these, at 6months +1day, I/my partner would apply for PR as we've got the 6m experience in the country.

However, is the TWP tied solely to the length of that employment? What happens if it's extended?
Or, alternatively, what happens at 11 months into the 12 month employment if I get offered another job? Can I extend the TWP/get a new one while we wait for PR to come through?

Thank you - I've had a google about but can't quite see the answer...

:)

christmasoompa Dec 29th 2017 4:10 pm

Re: Quick TWP / multiple job postings question

Originally Posted by Cornfedapache (Post 12406877)
Happy New Christmas Year Festive Holiday Season Break and all that jazz :D

Right back at ya!

So my thinking is that if I got one of these, at 6months +1day, I/my partner would apply for PR as we've got the 6m experience in the country.

Why do you think you need 6 months experience to apply for PR? There's no requirement to have experience for most routes, you can apply as soon as you've got the LMIA/TWP if eligible, and although you'll get extra points for Canadian work experience, that doesn't apply until you've done a year.

However, is the TWP tied solely to the length of that employment?

Yes it is, you'll only be given a TWP for the duration of the job contract.

Or, alternatively, what happens at 11 months into the 12 month employment if I get offered another job? Can I extend the TWP/get a new one while we wait for PR to come through?

You can't extend, you'd need a whole new TWP. You could also potentially get a Bridging Open Work Permit if eligible once you've got a PR app underway.

Tbh, I think your chances of finding an employer prepared to go to the cost/hassle and through all the paperwork of the LMIA app for just a year's contract is fairly slim, but you never know! Good luck.

Cornfedapache Dec 30th 2017 8:44 am

Re: Quick TWP / multiple job postings question

Ahh thank you! I had it in my head that the first option in the EE form for Canadian work experience was 6 months...
(You may have gathered that my head is a full and wooly place...)

Useful to know about the bridging open work permit, thank you :) I agree that 1 year placements may be a bit of a long shot, but I'm spread-betting on the job applications at the moment. In the last couple of weeks, the 1 - 1.5year contracts seem more feasible - permanent stuff seems to want the equivalent of a PhD in astrophysics for a relatively junior position, where as the shorter contracts seem to be more flexible and potentially willing to accept 15 years of industry experience (8 at senior level) as a Good Thing.
(I exaggerate about the PhD, but you know what I mean)

My plan is to get into the country by hook or by crook (legally, obvs!), work like a daemon and get in front of as many people as possible to make the transition swift and easy. Hence the applications for shorter term posts - but if the right perm role arises - heigh ho silver - AWAY!
:D