Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

A Question about visiting Canada.....!

A Question about visiting Canada.....!

Old Jan 16th 2001, 5:13 pm
Dale

Hi

I am intending to go to Canada in June this year and stay probably for around 3 months or
so. The reason for my visit will be to spend the summer with my girlfriend, and so I will
be staying with her. I am a British citizen so do not need a visitor visa or anything and
know that I can stay for up to 6 months as a visitor. However I was wondering if I could
like encounter any problems?? when entering for this stay at Canadian customs, I really do
only intend to stay for the 3 months and then return to England. And could anyone who has
done a similar thing let me know of any experiences good or bad, cause of course Canadian
customs would want proof that I can support myself for my stay and not to work, and like
how much would they expect me to have cause I would be staying at my girlfriends house
anyways. Also might they also think that as she is my girlfriend that there would be
chance of me staying for that reason and could I encounter problems like that?..... This
would be my third visit to Canada visiting for 2 weeks and 3 weeks respectively the
previous times and I have had no problem then, but this will be slightly different. Any
help or advice would be VERY much appreciated Thanks in advance

Dale

Old Jan 16th 2001, 10:59 pm
Royann

Will you have a return trip ticket? If so, they probably won't ask too many questions. If
they are concerned about the length of your stay, they might ask if you have enough money
to support yourself during that time. Please join my Canadian Immigration Club Message
Board for those applying as a fiancee or spouse.
http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/canadianimmigration Royann

Old Jan 21st 2001, 3:31 am
Daniel Rose

Hi
>
> I am intending to go to Canada in June this year and stay probably for around 3 months
> or so. The reason for my visit will be to spend the summer with my girlfriend, and so I
> will be staying with her. I am a British citizen so do not need a visitor visa or
> anything and know that I can stay for up to 6 months as a visitor. However I was
> wondering if I could like encounter any problems?? when entering for this stay at
> Canadian customs,
I
> really do only intend to stay for the 3 months and then return to England. And could
> anyone who has done a similar thing let me know of any
experiences
> good or bad, cause of course Canadian customs would want proof that I can support myself
> for my stay and not to work, and like how much would they expect me to have cause I
> would be staying at my girlfriends house
anyways.
> Also might they also think that as she is my girlfriend that there would
be
> chance of me staying for that reason and could I encounter problems like that?..... This
> would be my third visit to Canada visiting for 2 weeks and 3 weeks respectively the
> previous times and I have had no problem then, but this will be slightly different. Any
> help or advice would be VERY much appreciated Thanks in advance
>
> Dale
>
>
Hi Dale, You would require a return ticket. (If customs ask) They may let you in without
one if you can provide them proof of funds to purchase a ticket, but are not obliged to.
You should be fine for that length of stay without them asking for any proof of funds for
support. As always, I am not a lawyer. Regards,

Daniel Rose

Old Jan 21st 2001, 3:33 am
Daniel Rose

Hi
>
> I am intending to go to Canada in June this year and stay probably for around 3 months
> or so. The reason for my visit will be to spend the summer with my girlfriend, and so I
> will be staying with her. I am a British citizen so do not need a visitor visa or
> anything and know that I can stay for up to 6 months as a visitor. However I was
> wondering if I could like encounter any problems?? when entering for this stay at
> Canadian customs,
I
> really do only intend to stay for the 3 months and then return to England. And could
> anyone who has done a similar thing let me know of any
experiences
> good or bad, cause of course Canadian customs would want proof that I can support myself
> for my stay and not to work, and like how much would they expect me to have cause I
> would be staying at my girlfriends house
anyways.
> Also might they also think that as she is my girlfriend that there would
be
> chance of me staying for that reason and could I encounter problems like that?..... This
> would be my third visit to Canada visiting for 2 weeks and 3 weeks respectively the
> previous times and I have had no problem then, but this will be slightly different. Any
> help or advice would be VERY much appreciated Thanks in advance
>
> Dale
>
>
Hi Dale, You would require a return ticket. (If customs ask) They may let you in without
one if you can provide them proof of funds to purchase a ticket, but are not obliged to.
You should be fine for that length of stay without them asking for any proof of funds for
support. As always, I am not a lawyer. Regards,

Daniel Rose