Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Queries re: EE - Express Entry Route

Queries re: EE - Express Entry Route

Old Oct 5th 2017, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

FromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Queries re: EE - Express Entry Route

hi

i was initially going to do the self employment route but some advice from a Canadian lawyer on my recent RECCE swayed me to go down the EE route as it would be a quicker process to gain PR and I would be able to set up in business once i arrived in Canada

if it is just me going without partner, i have 67 points for entry (with partner 72 points IELTS)

already have my police cert from end of June 2017 and had planned on getting medical done this autumn

My sons are 22 & 26 but they don't want to join me in Canada and live separately (the youngest since last year due to my impending move) and are not dependent on me .

(Excuse me if some of the answers to these queries might be somewhere else......)

Just double checking that I am reading the CIC site correctly

some clarification with some queries with EE please:

- work history for last 10 years or 12 months full time (+30 hours) - which is required??

- (Dependent over 18) Children's history - school?? - Do i need to complete their school history?

- do i need to get police check for (dependent?) children over 18/22 who are not accompanying me?

- Medical for children over 18/22 who are not accompanying me ??

- photos of children over 22 as well?

- have 2 aunts and several cousins living in Ontario (who i saw on my recent Recce) but i intend to live in BC. Read that i can get extra points for having family in Canada. Getting a bit confused with exactly who the family members 'must be' in order to qualify for the points. When reading the checklist, it only says family with PR.

The aunt that i get on best with has a stroke which affected mobility and speech and lives in Residential Home. If she was coherent and well i know she would not hesitate to provide proof of relationship
My other aunt may or may not??
if she doesn't, could it be one of my cousins who provides the proof?

Also my mother is deceased and i am struggling to find her birth certificate (thought i had it with her death certificate...have checked with my sister, but no joy)

i do have my mum's first passport, which if i remember rightly, has her maiden name. Could I use that as proof of who she is in relation to my Canadian relatives?

if not, could my cousins go ahead and get a sworn affidavit to say we are family without my mums birth certificate?

thanks
Old Oct 5th 2017, 12:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Queries re: EE - Express Entry Route

Originally Posted by FromUKtoBC
i was initially going to do the self employment route but some advice from a Canadian lawyer on my recent RECCE swayed me to go down the EE route as it would be a quicker process to gain PR and I would be able to set up in business once i arrived in Canada
A wise decision IMO, the self employed route takes years. If you're eligible for EE, then that's definitely a better choice. You've mentioned your FSW score, but not your CRS score, what are you currently scoring?? This is fairly crucial, as at 67 FSW points you're borderline, so may not score enough on the CRS to get PR. You'll also potentially lose points as you get older (depending on your current age), so bear in mind your next birthday if applicable.

already have my police cert from end of June 2017 and had planned on getting medical done this autumn
Don't get your medical done yet, it's too early, wait until you do have an ITA. You may also need another police cert, as it's only valid for 6 months.

- work history for last 10 years or 12 months full time (+30 hours) - which is required??
You need a minimum of 1 year full-time skilled work experience to meet the minimum employment requirement for the FSW program, but when you do get an ITA and come to apply you'll employment proof for everything you're claiming points for, and go back 10 years in your history.

- (Dependent over 18) Children's history - school?? - Do i need to complete their school history?

- do i need to get police check for (dependent?) children over 18/22 who are not accompanying me?

- Medical for children over 18/22 who are not accompanying me ??

- photos of children over 22 as well?
You don't need any of the above, as they are not dependent children.

- have 2 aunts and several cousins living in Ontario (who i saw on my recent Recce) but i intend to live in BC. Read that i can get extra points for having family in Canada. Getting a bit confused with exactly who the family members 'must be' in order to qualify for the points. When reading the checklist, it only says family with PR.
Not sure what checklist you're reading (you don't normally get a checklist until you get an ITA) so I suspect it's an old one, but here is the list of eligible family members -

This relative must be a:

parent
grandparent
child
grandchild
child of a parent (sibling)
child of a grandparent (aunt or uncle)
grandchild of a parent (niece or nephew)

So your cousin doesn't count, but either of your aunts will.

Also my mother is deceased and i am struggling to find her birth certificate (thought i had it with her death certificate...have checked with my sister, but no joy)

i do have my mum's first passport, which if i remember rightly, has her maiden name. Could I use that as proof of who she is in relation to my Canadian relatives?

if not, could my cousins go ahead and get a sworn affidavit to say we are family without my mums birth certificate?
You will need the birth cert, but it's easy to get another copy.

HTH, best of luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Oct 5th 2017 at 12:05 pm.
Old Oct 6th 2017, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

FromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
A wise decision IMO, the self employed route takes years. If you're eligible for EE, then that's definitely a better choice. You've mentioned your FSW score, but not your CRS score, what are you currently scoring?? This is fairly crucial, as at 67 FSW points you're borderline, so may not score enough on the CRS to get PR. You'll also potentially lose points as you get older (depending on your current age), so bear in mind your next birthday if applicable.

Will check CRS again as i was getting confused between it and FSW entry points.
I am officially past it! as far as CIC is concerned, so i dont qualify for any points for age.

Re self employment, I was prepared to pack my bags and turn up at the border with paperwork etc, similar to what 'Rich' did a some years ago.

You need a minimum of 1 year full-time skilled work experience to meet the minimum employment requirement for the FSW program, but when you do get an ITA and come to apply you'll employment proof for everything you're claiming points for, and go back 10 years in your history.

So full time being the 30+ hours per week over 1 year ...?
And.. does this have to be in the last 12 months?

In the last 12 months i have been working with schools as supply teacher &
childrens residential worker in children's residential to gain direct experience with working with children and young people with challenging behaviour (experience that i wanted to take to Canada with me).

Otherwise i have been self employed for some years as a freelance trainer mainly (Chartered institute of personnel & development qualified) and some coaching.

For the NOC, would i use the training experience? and the young people's experience for EE entry?
I was also in Canada for whole of the 6 weeks summer holidays this year for my Recce. I should be ok for Paid hours/weeks over the last 12 months, however, presumably CIC will look favourably on time out for Recce??

During school holidays/evenings, i have been working on developing my business (unpaid) to 'take it' to Canada (though I know i will need to register business & licence etc before i start it in Canada.)

Not sure what checklist you're reading (you don't normally get a checklist until you get an ITA) so I suspect it's an old one,
someone posted this Document Checklist link in the Forum recently...
Is this the current checklist? If so, doesn't stipulate which relative....

but here is the list of eligible family members -

This relative must be a:

parent
grandparent
child
grandchild
child of a parent (sibling)
child of a grandparent (aunt or uncle)
grandchild of a parent (niece or nephew)

So your cousin doesn't count, but either of your aunts will.

I saw this somewhere as well, so got confused when these were not stipulated in the checklist above..

You will need the birth cert, but it's easy to get another copy.

HTH, best of luck.

Many thanks for info Christmasoompa
Old Oct 7th 2017, 12:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Argh, I can't quote your post as you've inserted your replies in to my response! But hopefully you can figure this out.....

FSW points are here - Who can apply: Federal skilled workers
CRS points are here - Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) tool: skilled immigrants (Express Entry)

Let us know what you're scoring on the CRS (just guess for things you're not sure on yet i.e. your IELTS score etc).

Re: the self-employment route, sorry, my misunderstanding, I had assumed you meant the self-employed route to PR. You're aware that more than paperwork is needed though? You'd need to prove you've invested a fair sum of money etc? It's a very tough route to go down, so I'd definitely agree with an EE app being far preferable if you are eligible.

Your skilled work experience doesn't have to be in the lat 12 months, it's just one year full-time skilled experience in the last 10 years to qualify as a FSW. You should be able to use your training experience even though it's self-employed, as long as it's classed as 'skilled' and you can prove it via things like an accountants letter, client references, etc.

CIC won't view your time in Canada favourably, no. It won't impact your application either way.

The checklist you've linked to is correct, but won't be the one you are actually sent when you apply for PR - everybody gets an individual one, so use it as a guide, but don't assume that's all you'll have to supply.

And don't worry if the family members aren't mentioned in it, the quote I gave you is from the CIC website and is quite clear on who and who isn't a 'family member' for points purposes.

HTH a bit, best of luck.
Old Oct 9th 2017, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

Argh, I can't quote your post as you've inserted your replies in to my response! But hopefully you can figure this out.....

FSW points are here - Who can apply: Federal skilled workers
CRS points are here - Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) tool: skilled immigrants (Express Entry)

Let us know what you're scoring on the CRS (just guess for things you're not sure on yet i.e. your IELTS score etc).

I scored 414 and 439 couple days ago (not sure what made the difference!

Will use the link to the tool above
Many thanks
Old Oct 9th 2017, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

Re: the self-employment route, sorry, my misunderstanding, I had assumed you meant the self-employed route to PR. You're aware that more than paperwork is needed though? You'd need to prove you've invested a fair sum of money etc? It's a very tough route to go down, so I'd definitely agree with an EE app being far preferable if you are eligible.
Would have provided paperwork at POE, but yes focused on the EE route now
Old Oct 9th 2017, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

Your skilled work experience doesn't have to be in the lat 12 months, it's just one year full-time skilled experience in the last 10 years to qualify as a FSW. You should be able to use your training experience even though it's self-employed, as long as it's classed as 'skilled' and you can prove it via things like an accountants letter, client references, etc.
Magic! good news!
Old Oct 9th 2017, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

The checklist you've linked to is correct, but won't be the one you are actually sent when you apply for PR - everybody gets an individual one, so use it as a guide, but don't assume that's all you'll have to supply.

And don't worry if the family members aren't mentioned in it, the quote I gave you is from the CIC website and is quite clear on who and who isn't a 'family member' for points purposes.

HTH a bit, best of luck.

Will seek out birth certificate again or apply for copy if need be

Thanks again