Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

PRTD - Residency Obligation - HELP - URGENT

PRTD - Residency Obligation - HELP - URGENT

Old Feb 20th 2018, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

DaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default PRTD - Residency Obligation - HELP - URGENT

Hi All,

Just reading through the checklist and I am totally confused.

I am doing a soft landing next week and then coming back to the UK before flying back out for the 9th April to start work. Reading through the PRTD forms and document checklist and it states:

Photocopies of supporting documents that you meet the residency obligation. Do not send original documents, as they will not be returned to you

8. At a minimum, you must provide:
- two pieces of evidence that show your permanent resident status in Canada; and

- information for the five years immediately before the application, such as:
- employment records or pay stubs;
- bank statements
- Canada revenue agency notice of asses.....
- rental agreements;
- club memeberships;
- or any other documents that are relevant to the determination of your residency obligation

what I don't get is that I would have only landed in Canada two/three weeks before, so how can I provide any of the above? I have a job offer letter, but that's it? and what would be the 2 forms of evidence that show PR?

urgent help required! cheers
Old Feb 20th 2018, 4:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PRTD - Residency Obligation - HELP - URGENT

Originally Posted by DaleBoy
Hi All,

Just reading through the checklist and I am totally confused.

I am doing a soft landing next week and then coming back to the UK before flying back out for the 9th April to start work. Reading through the PRTD forms and document checklist and it states:

Photocopies of supporting documents that you meet the residency obligation. Do not send original documents, as they will not be returned to you

8. At a minimum, you must provide:
- two pieces of evidence that show your permanent resident status in Canada; and

- information for the five years immediately before the application, such as:
- employment records or pay stubs;
- bank statements
- Canada revenue agency notice of asses.....
- rental agreements;
- club memeberships;
- or any other documents that are relevant to the determination of your residency obligation

what I don't get is that I would have only landed in Canada two/three weeks before, so how can I provide any of the above? I have a job offer letter, but that's it? and what would be the 2 forms of evidence that show PR?

urgent help required! cheers
Errr you are doing a soft landing and will be providing a Canadian address to have your PR card sent to which I assume will be forwarded to you in the UK so no PRTD will be required. Ooops just realized you will be flying back before PR card arrives. Why not just leave the landing until April unless of course COPR expires before then. If that is the case then have fun applying for the PRTD.

Last edited by Former Lancastrian; Feb 20th 2018 at 4:36 pm.
Old Feb 20th 2018, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

DaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Errr you are doing a soft landing and will be providing a Canadian address to have your PR card sent to which I assume will be forwarded to you in the UK so no PRTD will be required. Ooops just realized you will be flying back before PR card arrives. Why not just leave the landing until April unless of course COPR expires before then. If that is the case then have fun applying for the PRTD.
Everything has been booked for our soft landing and just got offered the job with that start date, which has thrown everything up in the air. hence coming back and then going back out there. so no advice on the PRTD?
Old Feb 20th 2018, 5:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Everything has been booked for our soft landing and just got offered the job with that start date, which has thrown everything up in the air. hence coming back and then going back out there. so no advice on the PRTD?
Having just landed only about a month before I wouldn't worry about providing supporting documentation regarding residency obligation as IRCC will see that in GCMS.
Old Feb 20th 2018, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

Having just landed only about a month before I wouldn't worry about providing supporting documentation regarding residency obligation as IRCC will see that in GCMS.
Cheers! I will check processing times tomorrow with the VAC make sure it all lines up thanks again
Old Feb 20th 2018, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

i am assuming if I choose to fly to Boston and drive across the border, all I need it my Passport and original COPR doc?
Old Feb 20th 2018, 8:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

i am assuming if I choose to fly to Boston and drive across the border, all I need it my Passport and original COPR doc?
Yes. ESTA required for USA.
Old Feb 21st 2018, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

Yes. ESTA required for USA.
Great thanks cheers! that's my plan then! Passport and COPR....with an ESTA on top (already got one from my previous US visits)
Old Mar 9th 2018, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

London VFS have said this to me:
'With regards to your Email query, if you wish you may apply for your Travel Document either in person or mail the application to our office. The processing time for a Travel Document is 5 working days and it depends on the High Commission.'

Do you read this as it takes 5 days to process fully or 5 days with them, plus the time the high commission take.
Old Mar 10th 2018, 12:20 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

London VFS have said this to me:
'With regards to your Email query, if you wish you may apply for your Travel Document either in person or mail the application to our office. The processing time for a Travel Document is 5 working days and it depends on the High Commission.'

Do you read this as it takes 5 days to process fully or 5 days with them, plus the time the high commission take.
I would interpret it as 5 days to process, as in from when they receive it, to when they mail it out, or it can be picked up. This could be also, it may take longer 'and it depends on the High Commission'.
Old Mar 10th 2018, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Aviator
I would interpret it as 5 days to process, as in from when they receive it, to when they mail it out, or it can be picked up. This could be also, it may take longer 'and it depends on the High Commission'.
I know love their wording :/