Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Proving finances to sponsor spouse

Proving finances to sponsor spouse

Old Jan 8th 2018, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

ascorah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Proving finances to sponsor spouse

I am Canadian and submitting an Outland application to sponsor my British husband. We currently live in the UK with our two children. I have applied for their proof of Canadian citizenship recently as they were both born in the UK. My main concern about our application is that I have to prove I can support my husband financially. I work part time and my husband is the main earner for our family. Does anyone have any insight into this or know anyone who has successfully sponsored despite not having huge earning potential or savings? I have read and researched a lot on the forum and learned so much but have not managed to find anything on this topic. Apologies if it’s been covered and if so please send me the link.
Thank you,
ascorah
Old Jan 8th 2018, 2:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Proving finances to sponsor spouse

Hi, and welcome to BE.

Originally Posted by ascorah
My main concern about our application is that I have to prove I can support my husband financially.
No, you don't. You must have misunderstood, there's no requirement for you to earn anything to sponsor a spouse (there is to sponsor other family members, but not a spouse).

I have read and researched a lot on the forum and learned so much but have not managed to find anything on this topic. Apologies if it’s been covered and if so please send me the link.
Here you go, it's in our brilliant Spousal Sponsorship FAQ's - Spousal Sponsorship-Canada/FAQ - New Application Forms : British Expat Wiki

HTH and good luck.
Old Jan 8th 2018, 8:27 pm
Just Joined

Thank you! I’ve never been so happy to be wrong!! I read the info in the link which was very helpful and reassuring.

Where I got confused is in the document checklist part B section 5. Employment/Source of Support. It says you need to show that you can support the person(s) you are sponsoring. It then goes on to say that I need to include a detailed explanation of how I plan to support myself and my sponsored person.

Do I just need to write that I intend to work and detail what I plan to do to work? Sorry if these are silly questions!
Old Jan 8th 2018, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you! I’ve never been so happy to be wrong!! I read the info in the link which was very helpful and reassuring.

Where I got confused is in the document checklist part B section 5. Employment/Source of Support. It says you need to show that you can support the person(s) you are sponsoring. It then goes on to say that I need to include a detailed explanation of how I plan to support myself and my sponsored person.

Do I just need to write that I intend to work and detail what I plan to do to work? Sorry if these are silly questions!
That's all you need to do. Demonstrating that you're not bankrupt, not on welfare, and have a plan gets you approval.
Old Jan 8th 2018, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

Wonderful! Thank you again for the information!
Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
That's all you need to do. Demonstrating that you're not bankrupt, not on welfare, and have a plan gets you approval.