Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

PR via EE (Given that I already have IEC until November 2018)

PR via EE (Given that I already have IEC until November 2018)

Old Sep 25th 2017, 6:50 pm
Just Joined

Colin_N is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PR via EE (Given that I already have IEC until November 2018)

Hi,

I know there have been a bunch of other questions regarding PR recently, but I wanted to put my post in a seperate thread so as not to hijack anyone else's.

I spent 7 months in BC (Whistler) from November 2016, but came back to the UK in June - a decision I'm now regretting. I'm hoping to head back to Vancouver in either Spring or Summer next year.

I'm single, late 20s, with an MSci and I speak fluent French. All this means I could have around 535 points, if I decide to take the French tests, which might not be needed (I'm assuming the language tests aren't hard!?).

I've also already got an IEC visa valid until November 2018.

Does the IEC affect the application or not? I don't have a year's Canadian work experience, so I'm assuming it'll get more or less ignored.

Given I currently DO have the right to work in Canada, I'm thinking I could apply for PR (via EE) now, but I could still head out to Canada in mid-March while my PR application is (hopefully!) nearing completion. This is possibly beyond the scope of this forum - but do you think any employers would still consider me for a job given that I'd have ~7 months left on my IEC? I'd be looking for software engineering roles.

Costs wise - based on someone else's thread I've got a total cost around £1400, does this sound about right? As it is slightly more than I expected to be honest!

In terms of being granted PR, how long do you have to enter the country once it's been granted to you? There's a possibility that I may stay in London until August, in which case if I were to get PR in April or May then there'd be a gap between being granted PR and being able to start using it.

Finally, once you've been invited to apply, how likely are you to get rejected? Assuming you've got a clean criminal record and not lied on any points, is it usually fairly certain to get PR?

Thanks
Old Sep 25th 2017, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR via EE (Given that I already have IEC until November 2018)

1400 is probably a little low in honesty its just under 1000 in application fees plus ECA plus language testing plus police certs plus photos, postage, medical etc etc.

Remember without a years Canadian experience you will be going FSW route probably so will need a minimum of 67 points to qualify and you will also need to show the required proof of funds.

If selected from the pool and you haven't misrepresented anything you shouldn't not be rejected.

My timeline is in my signature but was via CEC which is slightly quicker. Once you get your COPR paperwork you have till
Old Sep 26th 2017, 7:03 am
Just Joined

Ok that’s fine, just hadn’t realised everything would cost that much!

Have you missed a bit from your last sentence?

One more question - is there any benefit to getting many more points than the threshold for getting an invite? If I can get away with not doing the French test then that would be nice!
Old Sep 26th 2017, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

For information the cost for me was as follows:
WES education assessment £141
College 1 transcripts £0
Manchester Uni transcripts £0
Lancaster Uni transcripts £60
Pearson Group transcripts £60
IELTS English test £154
Medical cost £310
UK Police certificates £45
PR Application fee £334
Right of PR fee £297

Total £1401

If you're claiming skilled work experience then I'd start that when in the UK as it's a pain to get all the references.

I'd actually do as much as you can from in the UK. You'll also need around £9k cash if you don't have a job.
Old Sep 26th 2017, 8:49 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Shakyuk
For information the cost for me was as follows:
WES education assessment £141
College 1 transcripts £0
Manchester Uni transcripts £0
Lancaster Uni transcripts £60
Pearson Group transcripts £60
IELTS English test £154
Medical cost £310
UK Police certificates £45
PR Application fee £334
Right of PR fee £297

Total £1401

If you're claiming skilled work experience then I'd start that when in the UK as it's a pain to get all the references.

I'd actually do as much as you can from in the UK. You'll also need around £9k cash if you don't have a job.
Ok great - thank you. I’ll definitely be doing everything from the UK as I’ll be here until at least March.
Old Sep 26th 2017, 3:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Colin_N
Ok that’s fine, just hadn’t realised everything would cost that much!

Have you missed a bit from your last sentence?
Yes, sorry should of read

Once you get your COPR paperwork you have till the expiry date of either your medical (1 year from when it was taken) or your passport, which ever comes first.
Old Sep 26th 2017, 3:31 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Colin_N
Ok great - thank you. I’ll definitely be doing everything from the UK as I’ll be here until at least March.
Plus proof of settlement funds (without one year work experience / CEC) unless you have what is classified as a 'valid job offer'

Proof of funds: skilled immigrants (Express Entry)

Offer of employment: skilled immigrants (Express Entry)

If you are struggling to be able to afford that amount, you might be interested in looking into the Atlantic Pilot Project as the requirement is much lower.

Proof of funds – Skilled immigrants (Atlantic Immigration Pilot)

Last edited by Siouxie; Sep 26th 2017 at 3:37 pm.
Old Sep 26th 2017, 3:40 pm
Just Joined

Great - thanks all for the info!

Money won’t be a problem but I’d just thought it was going to be cheaper that’s all.

So now all I need to do is start the process....