PR Travel Document

Old Sep 23rd 2017, 1:16 am
Just Joined

SelinaOsib is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PR Travel Document

Hi All,

This is quite long so I appreciate you bearing with me. My PR card expired earlier this year and I applied for the renewal in June 2017 and I was advised that it would take 63 days to be processed. Unfortunately my photos were not accepted and so I had to resubmit new ones and ultimately this now means I will have to wait at least another month before my card arrives. The issue I have is we had already made vacation plans to go to Dubai from October 8th-October 15th. While I realize I should not have booked this, I never in my wildest dreams thought my photos would not be accepted as they were according to specifications. This is a dream vacation and if we cancel we lose alot of money so there are a few options I am exploring but not sure which is best.

Option 1: Current flight is scheduled to return direct from Dubai to Toronto Pearson by Air Canada. I can add on an additional flight from Toronto to Detroit so if any questions are asked I can explain to the airline I am actually travelling to the US and have a valid passport and ESTA and then I can drive across the border with my landing document. The reason I would like to do this is because it means I am on the same flight with my child and husband who are both Canadian and I could just get off at Toronto and it is ulikely I will have issues with border security as I will have all supporting documentation to prove I am PR (landing form, old PR card, tax forms, letter from employer etc). The risk is that Air Canada flight staff have no access to immigration systems and may still prevent me from boarding the plane as I may have to get out through border security.

Option 2: I book a direct flight from Dubai to the US on my way back and then drive across the border. Least risk but it means alot more money and I will not be able to fly with my family. (I could also have this as a back up plan if option 1 does not work, cost for flight is still less than cancelling the trip).

Option 3: I visit a VAC or the Embassy and request a PR Travel Document. The biggest risk here is that I dont know how long it will take to process even if I take a completed application and all relevant documents. Also the Visa Office is about 2 hours away and it would mean spending an enire day running around out of 7 days there and that will be with a 3 year old in tow. They do have a VAC office in Dubai and a Consulate but I think the safest option is to go directly to the Embassy where the Visa Office is that makes the decision.

So my questions would be:

1) Has anyone had a recent experience where PR cards are checked by Air Canada Staff on the way back into Canada using a British passport
2) Has anyone taken a connecting flight to the US transiting through Canada using a British passport and have you been asked ti produce and ETA or PR Card
3) If I go with option 3 does anyone have experience getting their TD in time
4) Is it better to go to a VAC, Embassy or Consulate to apply for the TD (I have tried calling them all to find out and no response)
5) What option makes the most sense?

Also as additional information I asked my MP to contact IRCC to see if my actual PR card application could be expedited as it has been more then 3 months since I submitted it but my MPs office was only able to provide me with a status update. I also directly contacted an Immigration Officer who is based in Sydney, Nova Scotia and she assured me I would have no issues getting in through the border without my PRTD as the Immigration Officers would be able to see my current file which is in processing. However the main risk is if I cannot board the plane coming back from Dubai to Canada.

Any advice appreciated.

Last edited by SelinaOsib; Sep 23rd 2017 at 1:23 am. Reason: Spelling error
Old Sep 23rd 2017, 4:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR Travel Document

As you correctly identify, the issue will be boarding the plane (or not)

Why don't you contact the VAC in Dubai and ask how long PRTDs are taking, then prepare for the App and supporting docs before you leave. I'm assuming you've met the PR residency obligation.

If you enter via the US land border, it has to be in a private vehicle, not a bus or train.
Old Sep 23rd 2017, 5:05 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Snowy560
As you correctly identify, the issue will be boarding the plane (or not)

Why don't you contact the VAC in Dubai and ask how long PRTDs are taking, then prepare for the App and supporting docs before you leave. I'm assuming you've met the PR residency obligation.

If you enter via the US land border, it has to be in a private vehicle, not a bus or train.
Thank you - I contacted the VAC and they indicated it takes 60 days but I found that hard to believe so I emailed them after and they said the same.

Yes I meet all residency requirements (have been living and working in Canada for the last 5.5 years and have only made a few trips abroad for a couple of weeks at a time).

If I did fly into the US my husband who is Canadian would be picking me up in a private vehicle.

I keep going back and forth between taking the chance and applying for the TD to just booking a direct flight to the US and travelling many hours without my family.
Old Sep 23rd 2017, 5:25 am
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

I find 60 days for a PRTD hard to believe. I am aware of someone who got one in Cuba (I know it's not Dubai but same idea) in the same day. They dropped their passport and application off in the morning and the PRTD was ready that evening.

You definitely need a PR card, PRTD or ETA to board a plane. I don't think the airline staff have any leeway around this. I previously was not allowed to check in until I entered number and expiry date of PR card.
Old Sep 23rd 2017, 7:29 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and welcome to BE!

Looking at CIC website, it has the following: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcen...um=1092&top=16

I will transit by air through Canada. Do I need an eTA?
Passengers transiting Canada will need an eTA or a visa, regardless of the length of time in Canada.

Travellers whose planes refuel in Canada going to and from the United States, as well as participants in the China Transit Program and Transit Without Visa Program, do not need to have an eTA or a visa to transit Canada.
(My bold)

So it would appear that your first option probably won't work if your flight would be 'ongoing' (i.e. you would be in transit) rather than just refuelling.

Perhaps you could contact the Dubai Canadian Embassy (email on linked page) and ask them how long it would take if you applied directly to them, rather than going through a VAC - or if it's even possible? Visa office in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates

Best of luck

Last edited by Siouxie; Sep 23rd 2017 at 7:32 am.
Old Sep 23rd 2017, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bc2015
I find 60 days for a PRTD hard to believe. I am aware of someone who got one in Cuba (I know it's not Dubai but same idea) in the same day. They dropped their passport and application off in the morning and the PRTD was ready that evening.

You definitely need a PR card, PRTD or ETA to board a plane. I don't think the airline staff have any leeway around this. I previously was not allowed to check in until I entered number and expiry date of PR card.
Thanks for the info. Do you know if they visited the visa office directly or a VAC? I would prefer to go to the visa office as they make the decision but my concern is if I turn up (they are two hours away) and then they tell me to go to a VAC. It would be so much wasted time and at this point I can't get any answers. Have emailed Consulate, Embassy and VAC.

Last edited by SelinaOsib; Sep 23rd 2017 at 1:27 pm. Reason: Spelling error
Old Sep 26th 2017, 7:59 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SelinaOsib
Thank you - I contacted the VAC and they indicated it takes 60 days but I found that hard to believe so I emailed them after and they said the same.

Yes I meet all residency requirements (have been living and working in Canada for the last 5.5 years and have only made a few trips abroad for a couple of weeks at a time).

If I did fly into the US my husband who is Canadian would be picking me up in a private vehicle.

I keep going back and forth between taking the chance and applying for the TD to just booking a direct flight to the US and travelling many hours without my family.
PRTD takes 48 hrs..i did mine last November i took my application to the VAC center in London on the Monday they rang me and i picked up my passport with the PRTD in it on the Wednesday..this is London of course not Dubai.
Old Sep 26th 2017, 9:44 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
PRTD takes 48 hrs..i did mine last November i took my application to the VAC center in London on the Monday they rang me and i picked up my passport with the PRTD in it on the Wednesday..this is London of course not Dubai.

1. Note you are comparing London to Abu Dhabi, 2 very different offices when it comes to processing times.
Old Sep 27th 2017, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SelinaOsib
1) Has anyone had a recent experience where PR cards are checked by Air Canada Staff on the way back into Canada using a British passport
Yes, they absolutely did this to us (as recently as early September 2017) - Heathrow to Ottawa. Their system refused to allow my wife to complete the on-line check in, so we had to present the card to the check in staff at the airport, no bother once we did though (but of course her card is in-date etc.).
Old Sep 27th 2017, 6:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

You cannot rely on being able to board without a PRC or PRTD if you are a PR.
Old Sep 30th 2017, 5:54 am
Just Joined

Hi all,

I just wanted to update you as the unimaginable happened. I received my PR card today even though I was told there was basically no way I would receive it before Oct 7th as they hadn't even started processing yet. When I checked online it also indicated it hadn't been processed but somehow it arrived, just in time for me to leave for vacation!

Prior to me receiving my card and In doing some further research I had discovered that many people that had applied for a PRTD in the UAE were waiting a minimum of 45 days for it to arrive. Based on this I booked a direct flight to the US so I could cross the border by private vehicle. This was my least favourable option as it meant travelling separately from my family but I went ahead and booked earlier this week as it was my last option. However, I am so happy that I won't have to use it despite the money lost!

Just wanted to let everyone know...and I guess a miracle can happen sometimes...