PR likelihood & timeframes?

Old Sep 24th 2017, 4:03 am
BE Enthusiast

suzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default PR likelihood & timeframes?

Hi folks! Just wondering/hoping someone can offer me a bit of advice on time frames/costs.

Basically- my husband and I have been here (calgary) since January and whilst it felt like home immediately we wanted to wait and see if we felt serious about the place rather than looking into PR in advance of living here.

We're now interested in applying for PR but want to make sure we can afford it/it's likely to happen for us and the time frames if anyone has a rough idea.

Currently we're here on a 2 year TWP ending the beginning of Jan 2019, however it's incredibly likely this TWP will be extended for at least another year and we'll be given that info by early next year.

But we thought regardless we'd look into applying for PR early next year.

Some info about us assuming it's Feb 2018 (as that's when we'd start applying):

Husband: 31 yrs, PhD, currently here on a TWP as he has an LMIA and works as a post-doctoral researcher at the university- research in climate change. Will have 1 full year work experience in Canada come Jan 2018. No health issues.

Me: 30 yrs, BA Hons, will have 1 full year work experience in Canada come March 2018 (just in retail though) I'm here on a spousal OTWP. No health issues.

We've both only ever lived in the UK and now here. We have no criminal records- we have no children. English is our only language. We have no relatives in Canada.

I completed the CRS calculator: I'm not sure if I did it right as it says we have a total of 521 points- and that seems a lot given what I've read on here from others- so I'm assuming I've done something wrong somewhere. I did it imagining it's Feb next year and assumed we have top marks in the English tests.

I'm just curious if anyone has any idea as to how long PR may take (if of course we're eligible) and if you have any idea of the costs we're looking at for the whole process? Obviously moving costs aren't an issue as we're already here. We have no other ties to the UK- no house there or anything. Our lives are 100% here now.
Also- do we need to have a certain amount in savings to prove before we apply?

Thank you for reading and for all your help! It's much appreciated. (Sorry it's so long!)
Old Sep 25th 2017, 9:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR likelihood & timeframes?

I think our points were around 488, similar ages to yourselves, similar education however I have a masters and your husband has a PhD, so with your Canadian experience and additional education I think your points are probably correct.

When you have a years experience you'll probably be doing the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) for a visa. From reading throughout my application I have noticed CEC is quicker than FSW. Ranging from 3-6 months, usually around 3-4. FSW seems to take 6-7 months. I'm doing the FSW route, next Tuesday will be 6 months and we got our 'final request' letter 2 weeks ago. The final request letter is the one before COPR and so it's all running on time.

I wrote a post in another thread about the cost of our FSW EE application, this is the summary of costs:
WES education assessment £141
Spouse WES assessment £141
College 1 transcripts £0
Manchester Uni transcripts £0
Lancaster Uni transcripts £60
Pearson Group transcripts £60
Salford Uni transcripts £30
IELTS English test £154
Spouse IELTS English test £154
Medical cost £310
Spouse medical £310
UK Police certificates £45
Spouse UK Police cert £45
PR Application fee £334
Right of PR fee £297
Spouse PR fee £334
Spouse Right of PR fee £297
Declaration of common law union £10
Total £2722

If you're claiming all of your education then I'd expect your costs will be similar. I'm not sure if the CEC route has the same requirements as the FSW route though but someone will be able to advise.

We're coming to Calgary when we get PR so give us a wave
Old Sep 25th 2017, 1:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

suzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shakyuk
I think our points were around 488, similar ages to yourselves, similar education however I have a masters and your husband has a PhD, so with your Canadian experience and additional education I think your points are probably correct.

When you have a years experience you'll probably be doing the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) for a visa. From reading throughout my application I have noticed CEC is quicker than FSW. Ranging from 3-6 months, usually around 3-4. FSW seems to take 6-7 months. I'm doing the FSW route, next Tuesday will be 6 months and we got our 'final request' letter 2 weeks ago. The final request letter is the one before COPR and so it's all running on time.

I wrote a post in another thread about the cost of our FSW EE application, this is the summary of costs:
WES education assessment £141
Spouse WES assessment £141
College 1 transcripts £0
Manchester Uni transcripts £0
Lancaster Uni transcripts £60
Pearson Group transcripts £60
Salford Uni transcripts £30
IELTS English test £154
Spouse IELTS English test £154
Medical cost £310
Spouse medical £310
UK Police certificates £45
Spouse UK Police cert £45
PR Application fee £334
Right of PR fee £297
Spouse PR fee £334
Spouse Right of PR fee £297
Declaration of common law union £10
Total £2722

If you're claiming all of your education then I'd expect your costs will be similar. I'm not sure if the CEC route has the same requirements as the FSW route though but someone will be able to advise.

We're coming to Calgary when we get PR so give us a wave
That is all super helpful thank you very much for taking the time to reply.
We'd obviously be doing everything from over here so hopefully the costs are around the same- with the added Canadian police checks in there but they don't cost a lot.
Education wise my husband went from his undergraduate degree straight on to a PhD at the same university so that will probably keep the costs down a bit. But it doesn't look as expensive as I was imagining so thanks for putting my mind at rest.

The info on the route to go through is helpful too- I wasn't sure which route would be applicable to us.

The only thing that currently possibly stands in our way is proving we have x amount in savings. My husband got his PhD last year (and it didn't exactly pay much) so all of our money went on our move and then getting settled here so we haven't yet got a decent amount saved. Do you have any idea how much is needed in a savings acc? I've read varying amounts depending on the route.

Thanks again for your help. It's really appreciated! :-)
Old Sep 25th 2017, 2:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suzeandmatt
That is all super helpful thank you very much for taking the time to reply.
We'd obviously be doing everything from over here so hopefully the costs are around the same- with the added Canadian police checks in there but they don't cost a lot.
Education wise my husband went from his undergraduate degree straight on to a PhD at the same university so that will probably keep the costs down a bit. But it doesn't look as expensive as I was imagining so thanks for putting my mind at rest.

The info on the route to go through is helpful too- I wasn't sure which route would be applicable to us.

The only thing that currently possibly stands in our way is proving we have x amount in savings. My husband got his PhD last year (and it didn't exactly pay much) so all of our money went on our move and then getting settled here so we haven't yet got a decent amount saved. Do you have any idea how much is needed in a savings acc? I've read varying amounts depending on the route.

Thanks again for your help. It's really appreciated! :-)

The values are here:
Proof of funds: skilled immigrants (Express Entry)

As far as I am aware (and that link seems to confirm this), you don't need any proof of funds if you have a job or are applying under the Canadian Experience Class and therefore you should be exempt from this requirement. Alright for some!
Old Sep 25th 2017, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

I was between 3 and 4 months for CEC. Timeline is in signature to give you an idea. I agree with Shakyuk that given your high levels of education and Canadian experience and that you have an LMIA approved job you scores sound right.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

The values are here:

As far as I am aware (and that link seems to confirm this), you don't need any proof of funds if you have a job or are applying under the Canadian Experience Class and therefore you should be exempt from this requirement. Alright for some!
Yes, if you are selected via CEC (and you always will be selected CEC before FSW if eligible) you are exempt from proof of funds requirements.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

The values are here:

Thanks again for your reply. While that initially looks good it then says:

"Keep your funds up-to-date in your profile. The system may find that you are eligible for more than one program. You don’t always know ahead of time which program you will be invited under."

So just have to hope it would be CEC! I mean, we make enough to survive easily every month, but we were only able to start saving again a few months ago so it would probably becend of next year before we have the $15,000 it mentions- so let's hope it's CEC! :-)

Really appreciate your help once more!! Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 2:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
Yes, if you are selected via CEC (and you always will be selected CEC before FSW if eligible) you are exempt from proof of funds requirements.
Oh that's good to know thank you!! And glad the points look about right too! I really wasn't sure when I read the total amount. Appreciate your reply. Thank you.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

Sam1970 is an unknown quantity at this point

As you're living in Canada you can do CELPET Which is slightly cheaper than IELTS also IQAS are a little cheaper than WES, just be sure to
you upload a copy of the ECA this along side copies of your education even though you have put the file number on your original application....just saves some time later should the IRCC asks for like they did for me ...I must admit I was a cover letter girl just about every file had a cover letter ...sad but
true...oh the English police checks ..courier charges are expensive but the safest way

Last edited by Sam1970; Sep 29th 2017 at 9:43 pm.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 11:32 pm
Forum Regular

FromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond repute

IQAS seems to be relevant for Alberta, Saskachewan & northern territories only (cant find the page on IQAS website where i read it.

process also takes 9 - 10 weeks to be processed after your application/payment
Old Sep 30th 2017, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

If you or your husband will require registration to work in your profession or use a title, such as an engineer. Then check what company the registration body use to assess your qualification. For example, Alberta's engineering regulator - APEGA, use WES. You can upgrade your WES immigration level qualification assessment to a full in-depth assessment required by APEGA for a small fee. If you use IQAS then you'd have to still use WES to register as an engineer but pay full price.

This may or may not be relevant but just thought I'd say
Old Oct 1st 2017, 5:42 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FromUKtoBC
IQAS seems to be relevant for Alberta, Saskachewan & northern territories only (cant find the page on IQAS website where i read it.

process also takes 9 - 10 weeks to be processed after your application/payment
IQAS is one of the organisations approved to undertake ECA's for applications for immigration by CIC. It's not specfic to those Provinces only, to the best of my knowledge.

Have your education assessed — Skilled immigrants (Express Entry)

https://www.alberta.ca/iqas-immigration.aspx