PR Landing - $10,000 in cash ?

Old Nov 4th 2015, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

djaybi has much to be proud ofdjaybi has much to be proud ofdjaybi has much to be proud ofdjaybi has much to be proud ofdjaybi has much to be proud ofdjaybi has much to be proud ofdjaybi has much to be proud ofdjaybi has much to be proud ofdjaybi has much to be proud ofdjaybi has much to be proud ofdjaybi has much to be proud of
Default PR Landing - $10,000 in cash ?

Hi,

I've finally received my COPR by mail a few days ago. With it came a six-page letter with recommandations and instructions on activating PR. Nothing I didn't know, except the end of the "Funds" paragraph (My translation, the letter is in French) :

Each principal applicant in the economic class must have in hand, in the form of cash, money order or traveler's cheque, 10 000 $CAD, plus 2 000 $ for each accompanying person

My intention was to bring CAD$ 1,000 cash, and a bank affidavit and bank statements, stating I have in my account xxxxx €, which approximates to CAD$ yyyy (the latter number being bigger than $11,931 Proof of funds – Skilled immigrants (Express Entry))

Has anyone been actually asked this, whether in writing or at the border ? Thank you.
Old Nov 5th 2015, 1:27 am
Just Joined

Anna Maria is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: PR Landing - $10,000 in cash ?

Hi
You can have a bank statement with you showing the required funds. No cash is necessary. When I landed 3 months ago in NS, nobody asked me any questions related to money
Good luck with your relocation
Anna
Old Nov 5th 2015, 2:17 am
BE Enthusiast

KuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond repute

I also didn't get asked for any proof of funds, but I did take along the bank financial reports that I'd used when applying to EE just in case. No reason why they wouldn't accept that IMO.
Old Nov 5th 2015, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

djaybi has much to be proud ofdjaybi has much to be proud ofdjaybi has much to be proud ofdjaybi has much to be proud ofdjaybi has much to be proud ofdjaybi has much to be proud ofdjaybi has much to be proud ofdjaybi has much to be proud ofdjaybi has much to be proud ofdjaybi has much to be proud ofdjaybi has much to be proud of

Thanks Anna-Maria and KuroKuor for sharing your experiences. I'll do as planned then. Just to be clear, your bank statements weren't in Canadian dollars I assume ? You had Euros or Pounds or whatever ?
Old Nov 6th 2015, 3:08 am
Just Joined

Anna Maria is an unknown quantity at this point

HI Djaybi
Good question you are asking. I had a Canadian bank account and so my statement was in $$$. Not sure where from and when you are planning to land but I know that for UK residents for example, some Canadian banks have an online offer for new comers (virtual opening from the UK and full activation once you land). So you can transfer your GBP or whatever your currency is into $$$ and the rate is very good now anyway. I opened my Canadian account when I was on holiday, so prior to landing. Hope that helps.
Old Nov 6th 2015, 7:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

KuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond repute

I've been in Canada 2 years already, so my accounts were definitely in CAD.
Old Nov 6th 2015, 8:51 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

It's a few years ago now, but when we landed permanently, all our bank statements were in UK pounds. Not than anyone asked to se them. I guess the powers that be had already seen all the evidence paperwork with the original PR application.