Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

PR Application form - Including children...

PR Application form - Including children...

Old Oct 14th 2004, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

Lostris is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PR Application form - Including children...

Please could someone be kind enough to clarify for me whether we include my husband's children from his previous marriage on our application form where it asks for "dependant children/family members"?

They live with their mother and step-father and will not be accompanying us to Canada. We do not have their passport details.

Do we just include the members of our family (ie who lives in our household)?
Old Oct 14th 2004, 12:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

wensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nice
Default Re: PR Application form - Including children...

Hi Lotris,
we had the same situation as you, my husband has a 17 year old who lives with her mother now they live in Dubai, but we did not put her on application, the only thing mentioned on application was that my husband had been divorced , so we had to send copy of divorce papers.
Old Oct 14th 2004, 12:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

wensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nice

Sorry spelt your name wrong before , we are also going to canada from uk, where in canada are you going?
Old Oct 14th 2004, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

Hi wensamjam

OK we won't put their names in the application. Hubby didn't want them or their mum to know about our potential emigration just yet (for obvious reasons). They are teenagers too but by the time we get PR (if we ever do) they'll be more or less adults anyway. It's not very clear on the forms is it? It just says dependant children/family members - well depending on how you view it children from previous relationships who don't live with you could well be "family members".

I'm pleased that you didn't have to enter your husband's daughter on your form too. How far along into the whole process are you?

We are hoping to move to BC. I used to live in Kamloops as a child but unfortunately this has no bearing on my application and we're applying via the Skilled Worker route.

BTW, Why do they want to know all the details of the main applicant's previous long term relationships?!
Old Oct 14th 2004, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Lostris,
we are waiting for our medicals, we got AOR in jan 04, so expect medicals for feb time. We also are going through skilled workers, can't believe how long it takes, have you sent in your application yet? Are you doing it yourself or immigration agency.? We chose to do it via agency, seemed to be great help doing all the paper work, but shame it doesn't make it go quicker. I used to live in Calgary, my sister has been in Canada for 20 years now, mainly on west side, but last 6 years on east side. good luck with your application.
Old Oct 14th 2004, 3:26 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, all dependent children must be listed in the application, regardless if they accompany your husband to Canada or not. More - his children must also undergo medicals even if they live with their mother and will not accompany him to Canada. If for some valid reason (other than inconvenience) children won't undergo medicals then they will never be eligible to be sponsored by their father for immigration to Canada.

Originally Posted by Lostris
Please could someone be kind enough to clarify for me whether we include my husband's children from his previous marriage on our application form where it asks for "dependant children/family members"?

They live with their mother and step-father and will not be accompanying us to Canada. We do not have their passport details.

Do we just include the members of our family (ie who lives in our household)?
Old Oct 14th 2004, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

Oh great, now i'm confused. How come wensamjam didn't have to declare her husband's kids?

The thought of my husband's kids following us to Canada scares me. :scared:

Wen, why couldn't you apply to emigrate with your sister as your sponsor would it not have been quicker that way?

We haven't filled in the forms yet, are meant to be doing it this weekend. Husband works long hours and haven't had time so far. We aren't intending to use a lawyer/rep to help us due to the cost and fact it doesn't exactly speed up the process but looking at the forms - i'm already stumped.
Old Oct 14th 2004, 4:23 pm

If wensamjam didn't declare non-accompanying kids in the application then 2 things will happen - (1) when it is discovered after landing then they will have their PR status revoked and they will be deported as application was filed fraudulently and (2) kids will bever be sponsorable.

It is in wensamjam and her husband's best interest to correct it before it is too late.

Siblings cannot be sponsored by siblings.

Immigration practitioner won't speed up the process - but well experienced and knowledgable immigration practitioner (authorized) will save you a lot of delays caused by mistakes and errors you will make in the process, by lack of or not conclusive enough evidence, etc., so technically you'll save time and a lot of pain when using assistance of reputable expert. Read here to find out who may be hired to assist and represent you:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/departm...paid-reps.html

Oh great, now i'm confused. How come wensamjam didn't have to declare her husband's kids?

The thought of my husband's kids following us to Canada scares me. :scared:

Wen, why couldn't you apply to emigrate with your sister as your sponsor would it not have been quicker that way?

We haven't filled in the forms yet, are meant to be doing it this weekend. Husband works long hours and haven't had time so far. We aren't intending to use a lawyer/rep to help us due to the cost and fact it doesn't exactly speed up the process but looking at the forms - i'm already stumped.
Old Oct 14th 2004, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

I didn't think the application form was meant to include children from previous marriages because it doesn't actually state ALL children must be included. Surely you can't be accused of fraud through ignorance?!

The forms aren't clear on that at all.

WHY is it so important to include them in the application form if you aren't taking them with you?
Old Oct 14th 2004, 4:39 pm

Read the application form and all instructions carefully again - it clearly states that all dependent children must be listed, accompannying or not.

Why it is required - because there was too much fraud with people not disclosing children who were inadmissible to Canada on medical grounds just to get foot in and later sponsor those kids.

I didn't think the application form was meant to include children from previous marriages because it doesn't actually state ALL children must be included. Surely you can't be accused of fraud through ignorance?!

The forms aren't clear on that at all.

WHY is it so important to include them in the application form if you aren't taking them with you?
Old Oct 14th 2004, 6:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Lostris and Andrew Miller,

With talking to my husband this evening and going through all our file work, i have made the mistake in saying we did not put my husbands child on the form, infact i have just found the form for Additional Family Information and we have put her name down, it says all children even step children regardless of age or place of residence. So we did put her name down, and that was all, also on proof of funds for outgoings we had to put down the maintence payments we pay, which will end in April next year.
I am very sorry for misinforming you Lostris as i didn't think we put her name down. But we do not intend for her to have a medical due to her age. she now lives in Dubai and we have no contact with her for over a year now. Again i'm sorry for the wrong info, i will pm you Lostris.
Old Oct 14th 2004, 6:34 pm

Dependent children should also be listed on the second page of Application for Permanent Residence (IMM 0008) as non-accompanying dependants in this case and they will have to undergo medicals.

Originally Posted by wensamjam
Hi Lostris and Andrew Miller,

With talking to my husband this evening and going through all our file work, i have made the mistake in saying we did not put my husbands child on the form, infact i have just found the form for Additional Family Information and we have put her name down, it says all children even step children regardless of age or place of residence. So we did put her name down, and that was all, also on proof of funds for outgoings we had to put down the maintence payments we pay, which will end in April next year.
I am very sorry for misinforming you Lostris as i didn't think we put her name down. But we do not intend for her to have a medical due to her age. she now lives in Dubai and we have no contact with her for over a year now. Again i'm sorry for the wrong info, i will pm you Lostris.
Old Oct 14th 2004, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

Andrew

Would you mind clarifying the term "dependant children"? I assumed this meant children who are dependant on you financially. I'm sorry i thought dependants are children who live with you? I'm not disputing what you say is fact i'm just rather confused because that's how we've always filled in forms - by saying we have only 2 dependants (ie the children who live in our household).

Are you supposed to declare ALL children regardless of whether they live with you or not and even if you haven't had contact with those children for several years or more?

What you say will make things very awkward for us because my husband didn't intend on informing his ex-wife and children at this stage of our intentions to emmigrate. It would only cause problems. There is no way around him informing his ex-wife and children about our plans if we require their passport information and for them to have medicals?!
Old Oct 14th 2004, 8:10 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Lostris

Andrew

Would you mind clarifying the term "dependant children"? I assumed this meant children who are dependant on you financially. I'm sorry i thought dependants are children who live with you? I'm not disputing what you say is fact i'm just rather confused because that's how we've always filled in forms - by saying we have only 2 dependants (ie the children who live in our household).

Are you supposed to declare ALL children regardless of whether they live with you or not and even if you haven't had contact with those children for several years or more?

What you say will make things very awkward for us because my husband didn't intend on informing his ex-wife and children at this stage of our intentions to emmigrate. It would only cause problems. There is no way around him informing his ex-wife and children about our plans if we require their passport information and for them to have medicals?!
In short, Children under 22, single, if over 22 full time attendence at school still supported by parents. If they are non accompanying then they don't require medicals, although if they are not examined, they cannot be sponsored later.

ONN
Old Oct 14th 2004, 8:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi there,
we are the same as you Lostris, we have not had contact with my husbands daughter for nearly 2 years she now lives in Dubai and is 18 in April, She has never lived with us and is not depandant on us financially. So there being she is not a dependant child. It is me as head applicant, she is my stepdaughter. We have had our agency look through this and everything was fine. We would not certainly be able to get her to do a medical. I only have one dependant child in my household and that is my 4 year old boy.
Will be interested to know what Mr millers answer to this is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.