Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Post Grad Work Permit - Conditions

Post Grad Work Permit - Conditions

Old Jul 28th 2016, 3:00 pm
Just Joined

ascouser is a splendid one to beholdascouser is a splendid one to beholdascouser is a splendid one to beholdascouser is a splendid one to beholdascouser is a splendid one to beholdascouser is a splendid one to beholdascouser is a splendid one to beholdascouser is a splendid one to beholdascouser is a splendid one to beholdascouser is a splendid one to beholdascouser is a splendid one to behold
Default Post Grad Work Permit - Conditions

Just received my PGWP in the post with conditions including

1. Not authorized to work in childcare/schools/teaching, HEALTH SERVICE FIELD OCCUPATIONS

3. Unless authorized, prohibited from attending any educational institution, or taking any academic, profession or vocational training course

....oh & 4. Not valid for employment in the sex trade....

My questions

Condition 1 - My study for the last two years was related to the HEALTH SERVICE FIELD, it was a Medical Office Administration course - and I'm now supposed to get a skilled role for which this had qualified me ?! ...

Condition 3 - So, say I get a job and need to go on a training course - or in fact I wanted to take a couple of evening courses - I'm not allowed?

I can't get through to CIC on their really helpful 'helpline'..
Has anyone experience of altering these conditions? How should I apply for alteration / appeal ?

Thanks in advance
Old Jul 28th 2016, 3:13 pm
Just Joined

ascouser is a splendid one to beholdascouser is a splendid one to beholdascouser is a splendid one to beholdascouser is a splendid one to beholdascouser is a splendid one to beholdascouser is a splendid one to beholdascouser is a splendid one to beholdascouser is a splendid one to beholdascouser is a splendid one to beholdascouser is a splendid one to beholdascouser is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Post Grad Work Permit - Conditions

Sorry...I perhaps should have posted this elsewhere on the forum...copying to immigration bit.
Old Jul 28th 2016, 3:22 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ascouser

1. Not authorized to work in childcare/schools/teaching, HEALTH SERVICE FIELD OCCUPATIONS

3. Unless authorized, prohibited from attending any educational institution, or taking any academic, profession or vocational training course

My questions

Condition 1 - My study for the last two years was related to the HEALTH SERVICE FIELD, it was a Medical Office Administration course - and I'm now supposed to get a skilled role for which this had qualified me ?! ...

Condition 3 - So, say I get a job and need to go on a training course - or in fact I wanted to take a couple of evening courses - I'm not allowed?

Has anyone experience of altering these conditions? How should I apply for alteration / appeal ?

Thanks in advance
when they talk about medical fields, they mean surgeons, doctors, nurses etc. To have these conditions taken off you have to have a medical.

If you are going to be working in medical admin then I don't see why it would be issue as you won't be administering medication and/or care on the patient.

you are not allowed to take on any long term study over 6 months in duration. for short courses and evening classes (provided they are under 6 months in total) should be fine
Old Jul 28th 2016, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

You're a star - thank you, much relieved to know that.
There is another course, at a private institution which was my ultimate goal of studying here (but didn't qualify me for a study permit) - that is a p/t course, but longer than 6mths. Do you know how I might apply to have this clause lifted in future?
Old Jul 28th 2016, 3:37 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

You're a star - thank you, much relieved to know that.
There is another course, at a private institution which was my ultimate goal of studying here (but didn't qualify me for a study permit) - that is a p/t course, but longer than 6mths. Do you know how I might apply to have this clause lifted in future?
I can't say for sure with that. I'm sure someone else will be along with further advice on that.
Old Jul 28th 2016, 4:53 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Do you know how I might apply to have this clause lifted in future?
You would need to qualify for a study permit for that course and make an application for it. So long as the course and institution meet the criteria. From what you has posted it would not qualify for a study permit.

Last edited by Aviator; Jul 28th 2016 at 4:55 pm.
Old Jul 28th 2016, 7:12 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

My questions

Thanks in advance
Originally Posted by beckiwoo
when they talk about medical fields, they mean surgeons, doctors, nurses etc. To have these conditions taken off you have to have a medical.

If you are going to be working in medical admin then I don't see why it would be issue as you won't be administering medication and/or care on the patient.

you are not allowed to take on any long term study over 6 months in duration. for short courses and evening classes (provided they are under 6 months in total) should be fine
Not necessarily. Anyone having contact with patients - including medical administrative staff - could require one... see below.

Undergo an "up front" medical. After 4 weeks, ask for the condition to be lifted (provided you have passed the medical).

Medical exam requirements for temporary residents (visitors, students and workers)

You may have to get a medical exam because of the type of job you want to do in Canada. Examples of such jobs are:
Jobs that bring you into close contact with people, such as:
workers in the health sciences field
clinical laboratory workers
patient attendants in nursing and geriatric homes
medical students admitted to Canada to attend university
medical electives and physicians on short-term locums
teachers of primary or secondary schools, or other teachers of small children
domestics
workers who give in-home care to children, the elderly and the disabled
day nursery employees and
other similar job

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 28th 2016 at 7:18 pm.