Possible job offer in Toronto

Old Sep 21st 2017, 4:11 pm
Just Joined

frenchie82 has a reputation beyond reputefrenchie82 has a reputation beyond reputefrenchie82 has a reputation beyond reputefrenchie82 has a reputation beyond reputefrenchie82 has a reputation beyond reputefrenchie82 has a reputation beyond reputefrenchie82 has a reputation beyond reputefrenchie82 has a reputation beyond reputefrenchie82 has a reputation beyond reputefrenchie82 has a reputation beyond reputefrenchie82 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Possible job offer in Toronto

Hi there,
My husband has got the potential of being transferred from the UK to Toronto if he wants to which we are thinking about very seriously.
His company won't be paying for the visa and so my question is which way is the best way for him to get a visa to allow him to work and for the family to go over? Which is the best visa for him to apply for?
He works for a global Plc company.
Many thanks
Old Sep 21st 2017, 4:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possible job offer in Toronto

They won't be paying for the visa?! Seriously? In all honestly, if the company can't even be bothered to shell out $155, I wouldn't consider moving for them. You'd be tied to them on a work permit so if they're not prepared to even invest that tiny amount, then I'd worry they're not committed to supporting your husband and he could find himself without a job.

But if they do decide to actually help with the visa (he can't get an infra-company transfer work permit on his own without at least some paperwork from them), then this is the info about the potential visa route - Intra-Company Transfer-Canada : British Expat Wiki

HTH.
Old Sep 21st 2017, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree!

As noted, your husband will need the company's support to assemble the correct documentation. Companies who are serious about this kind of thing usually employ Canadian legal representation to absolutely ensure the (valuable) employee (and the family) they're transferring has the best chance of success.
Old Sep 21st 2017, 5:08 pm
Just Joined

frenchie82 has a reputation beyond reputefrenchie82 has a reputation beyond reputefrenchie82 has a reputation beyond reputefrenchie82 has a reputation beyond reputefrenchie82 has a reputation beyond reputefrenchie82 has a reputation beyond reputefrenchie82 has a reputation beyond reputefrenchie82 has a reputation beyond reputefrenchie82 has a reputation beyond reputefrenchie82 has a reputation beyond reputefrenchie82 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
They won't be paying for the visa?! Seriously? In all honestly, if the company can't even be bothered to shell out $155, I wouldn't consider moving for them. You'd be tied to them on a work permit so if they're not prepared to even invest that tiny amount, then I'd worry they're not committed to supporting your husband and he could find himself without a job.

But if they do decide to actually help with the visa (he can't get an infra-company transfer work permit on his own without at least some paperwork from them), then this is the info about the potential visa route - Intra-Company Transfer-Canada : British Expat Wiki

HTH.
Sorry probably should explain a bit more,, it's very early days and the department in Canada do need more people with his skills. We have been looking into Canada for a while and my husband approached the Canada office where he has since found out a transfer could happen for him as they need his skills. As rule the company as a whole don't offer to sponsor to newcomers but that doesn't mean they won't do it for him, just presuming worse case scenario if we need to sort it. As I said very early days. Also seeing it as a positive seeing as we have been looking at Canada to emigrate for a long time and he could have a job to go to straight away. Obviously would take the pressure away of finding a job.
Thanks for the information though.
Old Sep 21st 2017, 7:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frenchie82
Sorry probably should explain a bit more,, it's very early days and the department in Canada do need more people with his skills. We have been looking into Canada for a while and my husband approached the Canada office where he has since found out a transfer could happen for him as they need his skills. As rule the company as a whole don't offer to sponsor to newcomers but that doesn't mean they won't do it for him, just presuming worse case scenario if we need to sort it. As I said very early days. Also seeing it as a positive seeing as we have been looking at Canada to emigrate for a long time and he could have a job to go to straight away. Obviously would take the pressure away of finding a job.
Thanks for the information though.
No probs. The link above outlines the three categories for an intra-company transfer TWP, make sure he qualifies under one of those as a first step. And then hopefully get the company to commit to properly supporting his move! He can't do it without their involvement, if it doesn't qualify under an intra-company transfer TWP, then it's going to be far more complicated and costly for the company but either way he'll need their support.

Good luck.
Old Sep 21st 2017, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

As said by far the quickest and easiest way, assuming he qualifies, is an ICT but this needs the employer to file paperwork.

This is the route I came with about 1.5 years ago now and have now received full PR status. Where it is applicable it is a great way of spring boarding to PR.

If you need more info on the ICT let me know.
Old Sep 21st 2017, 8:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
As said by far the quickest and easiest way, assuming he qualifies, is an ICT but this needs the employer to file paperwork.

This is the route I came with about 1.5 years ago now and have now received full PR status. Where it is applicable it is a great way of spring boarding to PR.

If you need more info on the ICT let me know.
Many thanks for the information. I notice your username, my husband is a Applications engineer for CNC machining.
How long did the paperwork/process take for the ICT?

Many thanks
Old Sep 21st 2017, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Paperwork took the company about 6 weeks. This is sent to CIC and you can then obtain the work permits at the POE. i.e. as soon as the company submits the paperwork to CIC you can travel.

I have no idea what a Applications engineer for CNC machining is and so I mean absolutely no disrespect with this but, does your husband have a degree in engineering? Engineer and practice in engineering is a protected term in Canada that requires you be registered with the provincial licensing authority (in Ontario will be PEO). The usual requirement for registering is a bachelors degree in engineering and 4 years of professional experience.

Without this the correct title in Canada is more likely Technician.
Old Sep 21st 2017, 9:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
Paperwork took the company about 6 weeks. This is sent to CIC and you can then obtain the work permits at the POE. i.e. as soon as the company submits the paperwork to CIC you can travel.

I have no idea what a Applications engineer for CNC machining is and so I mean absolutely no disrespect with this but, does your husband have a degree in engineering? Engineer and practice in engineering is a protected term in Canada that requires you be registered with the provincial licensing authority (in Ontario will be PEO). The usual requirement for registering is a bachelors degree in engineering and 4 years of professional experience.

Without this the correct title in Canada is more likely Technician.
Yes he does have a degree in his field of work and has 18 years continuous professional experience.
That's good to know about the time frame.

Thanks
Old Sep 21st 2017, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by frenchie82
Yes he does have a degree in his field of work and has 18 years continuous professional experience.
That's good to know about the time frame.

Thanks
No worries, do look up the requirements with PEO to register as a professional engineer. Untill your husband completes that process he will not be able to call himself an engineer or practice engineering on his own (a P.Eng will need to review and sign all of his work).

Professional Engineers

It wont affect your immigration application work though as the NOC code will be based on duties and responsibilities and not the title.
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 2:14 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE!

If by chance your husband doesn't qualify for an ICT, have you considered applying under Express Entry for PR rather than coming over on a temporary work permit?

It would be worth your while to investigate whether you would have sufficient points to get an invitation... and at least he would have a job to start once he got here!

Old Sep 22nd 2017, 2:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Welcome to BE!

If by chance your husband doesn't qualify for an ICT, have you considered applying under Express Entry for PR rather than coming over on a temporary work permit?

It would be worth your while to investigate whether you would have sufficient points to get an invitation... and at least he would have a job to start once he got here!

Yes we were looking at going down this route before the potential job offer and believe he has enough points. We will know more in 2-3 weeks time.