Police certificates

Old Mar 28th 2015, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

williamceri has a reputation beyond reputewilliamceri has a reputation beyond reputewilliamceri has a reputation beyond reputewilliamceri has a reputation beyond reputewilliamceri has a reputation beyond reputewilliamceri has a reputation beyond reputewilliamceri has a reputation beyond reputewilliamceri has a reputation beyond reputewilliamceri has a reputation beyond reputewilliamceri has a reputation beyond reputewilliamceri has a reputation beyond repute
Default Police certificates

Will need to obtain Police Certificates from two countries I have lived for more than 6 months (as well as UK-home country). Just noticed a new form (might not be new, but haven't seen it before) which states on the bottom of the form "Please send the police certificate direct to the applicant." Does anyone know if this is the current form to use - which would save many months wait and allow police forms to be sent together with spousal application rather than have to wait for a letter from Missasauga?
Old Mar 30th 2015, 4:16 am
Just Joined

Eriddick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Police certificates

My husband and I had to apply for police certificates from other countries (Sweden & Republic of Ireland) as well as the UK we had the police send the certs direct to our home in Canada and then mailed them all together with our application. However I do remember reading that they were only valid for I think 6 months so we made sure we were well on our way to completing the paperwork before applying for them
Old Mar 30th 2015, 8:49 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by williamceri
Will need to obtain Police Certificates from two countries I have lived for more than 6 months (as well as UK-home country). Just noticed a new form (might not be new, but haven't seen it before) which states on the bottom of the form "Please send the police certificate direct to the applicant." Does anyone know if this is the current form to use - which would save many months wait and allow police forms to be sent together with spousal application rather than have to wait for a letter from Missasauga?
What letter were you thinking you'd have to wait for? You'd normally gather all your police certs and send them off with your application.

Originally Posted by Eriddick
However I do remember reading that they were only valid for I think 6 months so we made sure we were well on our way to completing the paperwork before applying for them
Police certs have to be less than 3 months old when submitted.

HTH.
Old Mar 30th 2015, 8:51 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Just looked at your previous posts, are you sure you're applying under spousal sponsorship? Sorry to doubt you, but your other posts say you were thinking of your adult son sponsoring you and your wife? Apologies if you have remarried a Canadian and that's right, but just thought I'd check!
Old Mar 30th 2015, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

williamceri has a reputation beyond reputewilliamceri has a reputation beyond reputewilliamceri has a reputation beyond reputewilliamceri has a reputation beyond reputewilliamceri has a reputation beyond reputewilliamceri has a reputation beyond reputewilliamceri has a reputation beyond reputewilliamceri has a reputation beyond reputewilliamceri has a reputation beyond reputewilliamceri has a reputation beyond reputewilliamceri has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks for all your replies. Will definitely obtain certificates before sending in application. That is a load of my mind.
Old Mar 30th 2015, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Just looked at your previous posts, are you sure you're applying under spousal sponsorship? Sorry to doubt you, but your other posts say you were thinking of your adult son sponsoring you and your wife? Apologies if you have remarried a Canadian and that's right, but just thought I'd check!
That was before Bill C-24 came into being June last year where my wife now gets automatic citizenship as her Mother is Canadian. Hence no longer need Canadian son to sponsor us, just my wife to sponsor me. The Bill was passed June last year, but does not become effective until June this year (so they say!). Then you wait some before confirmation. Just want to get all the advice I can to prepare my forms for spousal sponsorship.

Many thanks.
Old Mar 30th 2015, 9:16 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by williamceri
That was before Bill C-24 came into being June last year where my wife now gets automatic citizenship as her Mother is Canadian. Hence no longer need Canadian son to sponsor us, just my wife to sponsor me. The Bill was passed June last year, but does not become effective until June this year (so they say!). Then you wait some before confirmation. Just want to get all the advice I can to prepare my forms for spousal sponsorship.

Many thanks.
Ah, ok. I wouldn't start preparing your forms or ordering police certs yet though, you're quite a way off being able to apply for spousal sponsorship. As you say, the bill isn't effective yet - I've heard July actually, rather than June, but it could be anytime this year. Then your wife has to apply for her proof of citizenship and that can take a year, so you could still have a while before you can apply for PR.

It's good that your wife is one of the few that will be affected by the changes to the Citizenship by Birth section (i.e. her mother was adopted, etc) though, as it's made it harder for most to get citizenship, so at least she's one of the few that it will affect positively.

Best of luck with it.